• Furman gains vote in AP Top 25 Poll

#6077  by Jasper
 Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:26 pm
fufanatic wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:00 pm
Huge! Wonder when the last time that happened was?
I would guess it is the same year that hell last froze over. :lol: Not only did Furman get one vote in the top 25 but Loyola is still ranked IN the top 25 by another voter. Loyola was ranked in the Kenpom 60's AFTER their amazing run, lost 3 of their top scorers and their top rebounder and the same guy had them ranked preseason #10. Now after losing at home to a Furman team ranked outside the top 100, he ranks them 23rd. Why would anyone pay attention to these guys?

Furman got a nice road win against last year's cinderella team while scoring 60 points on less than 40% shooting from the field, 25 % from the 3 point line and turning the ball over 17 times. Loyola, who won a few NCAA games on 3 pointers shot 15% from behind the arc and made 60% of their foul shots. A win is a win but let's get some perspective here; unlike that clueless sports writer.
 #6082  by gman
 Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:21 pm
Jasper wrote:
fufanatic wrote:
I would guess it is the same year that hell last froze over. :lol: Not only did Furman get one vote in the top 25 but Loyola is still ranked IN the top 25 by another voter. Loyola was ranked in the Kenpom 60's AFTER their amazing run, lost 3 of their top scorers and their top rebounder and the same guy had them ranked preseason #10. Now after losing at home to a Furman team ranked outside the top 100, he ranks them 23rd. Why would anyone pay attention to these guys?

Furman got a nice road win against last year's cinderella team while scoring 60 points on less than 40% shooting from the field, 25 % from the 3 point line and turning the ball over 17 times. Loyola, who won a few NCAA games on 3 pointers shot 15% from behind the arc and made 60% of their foul shots. A win is a win but let's get some perspective here; unlike that clueless sports writer.
Bah humburg. Had a bad day? Go Paladins!
MNORM, GOAT liked this
 #6088  by gman
 Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:23 am
Jasper wrote:
fufanatic wrote:

How is this for perspective? The fact that we scored less than 60 points, shot less than 40% from the field and 25% from the 3 point line, and had 17 turnovers (only 3 in the last 8 minutes), makes the win on the road against a quality opponent even more impressive. It’s was a gutsy effort that deserves much excitement. Go Dins. Beat GW.
FUKA61, MNORM, fufanatic and 1 others liked this
 #6098  by fufanatic
 Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:15 am
Loyola is still a very good team. Custer is unbelievable and could easily be player of the year in the conference again. After his burst in the first half which was fun to watch even pulling for the other team, I believe he only had 2 points the rest of the way. We didn't play overly great, but we jumped out to a big lead, watched that lead evaporate, go down 10 in the second half and fought back for a clutch win on the road at a solid program. Rafferty was a beast in the second half, Lyons hit some gutsy shots, Brown didn't even get to play hardly and he's one of our best shooters, Mounce can jump out of the gym and played a nice overall game, Gurley is going to be special ... Perspective can indeed go both ways.
FUKA61, dornb liked this
 #6104  by Jasper
 Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:40 pm
Well then, clearly Loyola is still a great team with two starters back and Furman had an epic win. I must have been watching a different game.
 #6105  by gman
 Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:55 pm
Jasper wrote:
Well then, clearly Loyola is still a great team with two starters back and Furman had an epic win. I must have been watching a different game.
Glad you finally came around!
 #6110  by CharlieFU
 Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:04 pm
I do think it is helpful to the team's growth and development to win a game they are not supposed to win AND when they are not playing their best. This will give them the needed resilience to win other games where things are not going well...they know they can do it because they HAVE done it.
 #6114  by Paul C
 Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:13 pm
If Johnny Carson were still around and doing his “Carnac the Magnificent” routine the question would be

“What does Hilary Clinton and Furman basketball have in common”.
 #6128  by youwouldno
 Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:16 pm
Jasper wrote:
Well Loyola is still projected to be a very good team by outside analysts and the computers. Not an elite team, but one of the stronger mid-majors.

So having some offensive struggles against them is not really unexpected or alarming. If the Paladins struggle to score against weak opponents, that will be a different story.
 #6132  by ccoates
 Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:25 pm
fufanatic wrote:

My best recollection is NEVER.

None of the Selvy teams got votes to my knowledge. The Joe Williams team of 71 -72 were ranked 20 in pre season by Sporting News, but did not get a vote all year, or at any other time during Joe's tenure. The polls wereTop 20 during most of that time until, I believe, the 80s.

Hard to believe, but you could look it up.