• A Tough Draw For Sure

#61021  by purplehorse
 Tue Nov 22, 2022 10:55 am
I agree with those who think it would be more fair if we were playing Gardner-Webb or Davidson. I think our draw (and Elon’s) is tough BUT it could be a whole lot worse (example 2006 when we were expecting a home game-“FURMAN at Montana State”). We all know the system is far from perfect. I am excited about being in the playoffs and thankful for our first home playoff game since 2006.

The following was sent to me by a friend:

We are #11 in both polls. Elon is 12/15. Obviously a tough and unfair draw. In order to win it all , we would need to beat #12 Elon, #5 Incarnate Word, ,#2 Sacramento State, #4 NDSU and #1 SDSU (assuming there were no upsets). We would have to beat 4 of the best 5 teams in the country and 3 of the top 4 teams on the road. That would be very unlikely if not impossible.
 #61022  by fu77fan
 Tue Nov 22, 2022 11:03 am
Yes a tough draw. But in order to be the best, you have to beat the best. Win or lose a great opportunity for the Paladins and hopefully a good experience to build upon.

Go Dins
AstroDin, dornb liked this
 #61027  by Louis Tully
 Tue Nov 22, 2022 11:31 am
Dont discount Samford and Richmond.
 #61028  by The Jackal
 Tue Nov 22, 2022 11:50 am
It's the playoffs.

Is it a bummer that some weak conferences get auto bids and see their teams get roasted in the opening rounds? Yes.

It's still the playoffs. Everyone in the tournament is a good team.

Elon's a good team. Believe me, their fans are none-to-excited about a road game in Greenville.
gman84 liked this
 #61035  by Flagman
 Tue Nov 22, 2022 3:30 pm
How many Elon fans will make the short trip to Greenville? If history is any indication, not many. I remember trips to Elon when we outnumbered Elon fans.
QCGlue liked this
 #61038  by apaladin
 Tue Nov 22, 2022 4:28 pm
Louis Tully wrote:
Speaking of Samford, anyone know the status of their QB who got hurt and didn’t play in the second OT?
I think they have one fan on AGS. Could someone ask? TIA
 #61039  by palafan
 Tue Nov 22, 2022 4:35 pm
Don't overlook any team. Any team is capable of beating any other. Just ask Tennessee.
 #61040  by FUBeAR
 Tue Nov 22, 2022 5:46 pm
apaladin wrote:
Tue Nov 22, 2022 4:28 pm
Louis Tully wrote:
Speaking of Samford, anyone know the status of their QB who got hurt and didn’t play in the second OT?
I think they have one fan on AGS. Could someone ask? TIA
They don’t know and, as they shouldn’t, Samford is not saying anything.

FUBeAR has watched the hit and the way the QB responded. Injury is definitely to his throwing hand/wrist and he was holding it tight into his body covering/holding it with his other hand…in what FUBeAR would speculate is a broken-bone kinda way.

Nothing FUBeAR wants more than Samford to make it to the Semi-Finals…where they lose to our Paladins, but that injury to the Starting QB did not look ‘promising’ to FUBeAR and just the form of the 1 incomplete pass the back-up QB, a R-FR walk-on, threw did not look like “I’m gonna lead us to the FCS Semifinals” form. He is 4-6 for 47 yds with 0 TD’s on the season. He did run it pretty dang well on the next play though…behind 3 OLmen with their hands just a-FULL of cloth…but that’s another story. Prior to that 25 yard game-winning TD run in the 2nd OT, he had 2 rushes for -9 yards this season.

Last edited by FUBeAR on Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #61043  by The Jackal
 Tue Nov 22, 2022 6:42 pm
I did not realize until these post season awards just how critical Heirs was to Samford’s success. He put up video game numbers.
 #61044  by The Jackal
 Tue Nov 22, 2022 6:45 pm
Also, my recollection is that Samford under Hatcher would usually release one depth chart at the beginning of the season. That may have changed. Every other team tends to release a weekly update (even if not always spot on accurate).

I expect that the first time you’ll know about Heirs status will be when the offense takes the field next week.
 #61045  by FUBeAR
 Tue Nov 22, 2022 6:52 pm
The Jackal wrote:
I did not realize until these post season awards just how critical Heirs was to Samford’s success. He put up video game numbers.
He is really effective in that Offense and continued to get better & better every game. The QB that FUBeAR was not particularly impressed with vs. Kennesaw, and even vs. FU, was not the same QB that lit up Chatt & Mercer. Stats were always pretty good, but his confidence, awareness, and impact on the game went from ‘gets it done’ to near Huff-like.
Last edited by FUBeAR on Tue Nov 22, 2022 8:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
AstroDin liked this
 #61050  by apaladin
 Tue Nov 22, 2022 8:36 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Tue Nov 22, 2022 6:52 pm
The Jackal wrote:
He is really effective in that Offense and continued to get better & better every game. The QB that FUBeAR was not particularly impressed with vs. Kennesaw County, and even vs. FU was not the same QB that lit up Chatt & Mercer. Stats were always pretty good, but his confidence, awareness, and impact on the game went from ‘gets it done’ to near Huff-like.
Thanks FUBear, so what you are saying is the committee lies thru their teeth again when they said they consider injuries. How do you give any team a #6 seed when they lose their starting qb the last game of the season. I continue with my belief that those guys, don’t care and spend about 30 mins on the bracket. Very obvious now that you can buy your way in.(Montana, Delaware).

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by gofurman

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:22 pm

User avatar Notes from all around

by FurmanATT

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:26 am

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:44 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.