• Stupid Weathermen

#61000  by apaladin
 Tue Nov 22, 2022 2:49 am
In just over 24 hours the rain chance for Saturday went from zero to 38 to 58 to 80% . Just another example that long range forecasts or useless. I will be there regardless but I know many won’t because of the rain. How many do you think show up if this forecast doesn’t change? Maybe 2,500?
 #61001  by Paul C
 Tue Nov 22, 2022 5:12 am
Yeah that sucks. The crowd wasn’t going to be big anyway as history tells us AND the Clem Car game kicking off at the same time.

I’ll be there with my German Army surplus poncho on if need be.
apaladin liked this
 #61005  by FUBeAR
 Tue Nov 22, 2022 7:16 am
At least the forecast is mid-50’s vs. 38 degrees…

Hofstra vs Furman
Date: Nov 25, 2000
Site: Greenville, S.C.
Stadium: Paladin Stadium
Attendance: 4214

Score by Quarters 1 2 3 4 Score
----------------- -- -- -- -- -----
Hofstra............. 3 7 14 7 - 31
Furman.............. 7 3 7 7 - 24

Kickoff time: 1:07 End of Game: 4:17 Total elapsed time: 3:10
Temperature: 38 Wind: W 5-10 Weather: Wet, Light Drizzle

Absolutely miserable day.

FUBeAR thought he’d never seen, nor would ever see again, that small of a crowd in Paladin Stadium for a Furman game.

Have we had fewer since?

If this 2000 Hofstra 1st round Playoff loss set the low crowd record, and If this current weather forecast holds, we may have a shot at breaking it. :|

That said, just as FUBeAR was two of the brave and loyal 4,214, forcing a feverishly sick 8 year old FUBeAR Jr. to sit in the cold rain for 3 hours (gotta toughen ‘em up, y’know) on that miserable day, (Lord willin’) he will be there Saturday rooting for a much brighter outcome.

*FUBeAR will only be a party of one though as 30 year old FUBeAR Jr has already (forcefully) declined FUBeAR’s invitation to join him in attending. He’s tough, and also not stupid. ;)
 #61006  by gman84
 Tue Nov 22, 2022 7:43 am
Remember that one as well. Worst weather playoff game for me had to be the '89 SFA snow game. That crowd may have been smaller, don't know for sure. Goretex is the key to watching a game in any weather any temperature!
FUBeAR liked this
 #61007  by The Jackal
 Tue Nov 22, 2022 8:19 am
FUBeAR wrote:

Hofstra vs Furman

FUBeAR thought he’d never seen, nor would ever see again, that small of a crowd in Paladin Stadium for a Furman game.

Have we had fewer since?

If this 2000 Hofstra 1st round Playoff loss set the low crowd record, and If this current weather forecast holds, we may have a shot at breaking it. :|

That said, just as FUBeAR was two of the brave and loyal 4,214, forcing a feverishly sick 8 year old FUBeAR Jr. to sit in the cold rain for 3 hours (gotta toughen ‘em up, y’know) on that miserable day, (Lord willin’) he will be there Saturday rooting for a much brighter outcome.

*FUBeAR will only be a party of one though as 30 year old FUBeAR Jr has already (forcefully) declined FUBeAR’s invitation to join him in attending. He’s tough, and also not stupid. ;)

Pretty sure the crowd for the home game against South Carolina State in the hurricane was smaller. Counted in the hundreds.

....found it. October 3, 2015. 16mph winds and steady rain the entire game. Attendance announced at 1022, which was probably generous.
 #61008  by FUBeAR
 Tue Nov 22, 2022 8:31 am
The Jackal wrote:
Tue Nov 22, 2022 8:19 am
FUBeAR wrote:

Hofstra vs Furman

Have we had fewer since?

Pretty sure the crowd for the home game against South Carolina State in the hurricane was smaller. Counted in the hundreds.

....found it. October 3, 2015. 16mph winds and steady rain the entire game. Attendance announced at 1022, which was probably generous.
Huh…FUBeAR doesn’t even remember that. He was in Maconga that day/night…

DATE: 10/3/2015
SITE: Macon, Ga.
STADIUM: Five Star Stadium
ATTENDANCE: 10489
TEMPERATURE: 63
WIND: 8 mph NW
WEATHER: Overcast

Very different weather it seems.

Well, FUBeAR watched FUBeAR Jr break his foot 1/2thru his final season AND watched Woffy beat Mercer by a stupid missed (just clean missed) XP in OT. All in all…would have preferred the crappy weather…by A LOT!
 #61025  by Davemeister
 Tue Nov 22, 2022 11:16 am
Put no stock in long-range forecasts. Remember: the Clemson game was supposed to be a washout. It turned out to be a good afternoon for football.

I'll check the weather Saturday morning before heading to the game.
apaladin liked this
 #61026  by FUBeAR
 Tue Nov 22, 2022 11:24 am
Davemeister wrote:
Put no stock in long-range forecasts. Remember: the Clemson game was supposed to be a washout. It turned out to be a good afternoon for football.

Same for Samford. Supposed to be deluge hurricane tsunami, but was sunny & beautiful.

Maybe the weatherpeeps were forecasting the effect of the Disastrous Officiating on the game/SoCon Championship/Playoff Seeding for Furman.
apaladin, Affirm liked this
 #61031  by gofurman
 Tue Nov 22, 2022 2:10 pm
You all are spot on. Both in how weather forecasts 5 days in advance are worthless.. and that weather affects fan turnout. People constantly debate rain is better for O or D but the one thing I know is it hurts the home advantage because your more casual fans don't come - we don't want rain !! Sunny and 50
 #61036  by Flagman
 Tue Nov 22, 2022 3:34 pm
Davemeister wrote:

Same here. I go outside; if I get wet, I'll put on rain gear. If I feel cold, I'll add a couple of layers, and pick up a blanket.
apaladin, Bootie, dornb and 1 others liked this
 #61041  by purplehorse
 Tue Nov 22, 2022 6:22 pm
Strange that the only way I can reply to a post or like a post is to post myself first. Crazy.
Last edited by purplehorse on Tue Nov 22, 2022 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Affirm liked this
 #61042  by purplehorse
 Tue Nov 22, 2022 6:24 pm
gofurman wrote:
Tue Nov 22, 2022 2:10 pm
You all are spot on. Both in how weather forecasts 5 days in advance are worthless.. and that weather affects fan turnout. People constantly debate rain is better for O or D but the one thing I know is it hurts the home advantage because your more casual fans don't come - we don't want rain !! Sunny and 50
I think the only home field advantage we have at times is no travel, sleep in own beds etc. Not sure a small crowd gives us much of a home field advantage.
 #61057  by apaladin
 Tue Nov 22, 2022 11:26 pm
CJ on channel 4 gives some hope, washout on Friday slacks off and another wave comes in later Saturday late afternoon/evening. In other words, don’t know. :lol:

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by gofurman

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:22 pm

User avatar Notes from all around

by FurmanATT

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:26 am

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:44 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.