• Elon

#60964  by apaladin
 Mon Nov 21, 2022 3:33 pm
If I was Elon, my gameplan would be to throw 70% of the time. I would throw it deep often.
 #60971  by palafan
 Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:02 pm
furmandad wrote:
Sun Nov 20, 2022 5:23 pm
Elon QB Matthew McKay is interesting; 23 year old RS Senior. Played at NC State’17 (RS), ‘18 and ‘19. Started 5 games for the Wolfpack in’19 and threw for 1000+ yards. Transferred to Montana State for the’21 season and started on a 12-3 Playoff team. He’s 6’4, 212, and has thrown for 2,400 yards and run for 400+ this season.
Based on this, ESPN picks Elon to win.
 #60976  by The Jackal
 Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:47 pm
apaladin wrote:
If I was Elon, my gameplan would be to throw 70% of the time. I would throw it deep often.

Probably not a bad strategy, but remember, our pass defense isn't that bad.

We will surrender yards, no doubt. However, our pass defense efficiency is second in the SoCon. We surrender the lowest completion rate in the conference. We also pick off a ton of passes. We also are pretty good at getting to the QB.

Elon's QB is about middle of the CAA pack in terms of completion percentage.
 #60979  by FurmAlum
 Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:52 pm
Looks to me we play a lot of M to M and not a lot of Cover 2 zone.

Is this true? Not necessarily saying we should change, but want to know.
 #60984  by purplehorse
 Mon Nov 21, 2022 6:15 pm
Threw random thoughts:

1)-Elon is out of school this week per the Elon coach. He said all the players had to do was focus on the game, practice, eat, sleep etc.

When does Furman get out for Thanksgiving? If not until Wed, that seems like a disadvantage to me.

2)-Tyler Huff seems pretty “experienced” on the field, maybe more so than his cumulative game experience (based on bio only 12 total starts at PC-6 in 2019, 6 in spring 2021 and none in fall 2021).

3)--Last year someone parked in my brother’s parking space in the purple lot one game and the attendants said there was nothing they could do. Crazy to me. I would not think you would park in someone else’s space with their name on it.
 #60985  by greenvegas
 Mon Nov 21, 2022 7:27 pm
As I recall previous playoff games, the size differential of the two teams may be apparent as I suspect Elon will be much bigger than Furman players in general. If I recall, teams like Rhode Island were huge. I have not looked at the rosters so, I could be wrong.
apaladin liked this
 #60988  by apaladin
 Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:24 pm
greenvegas wrote:
As I recall previous playoff games, the size differential of the two teams may be apparent as I suspect Elon will be much bigger than Furman players in general. If I recall, teams like Rhode Island were huge. I have not looked at the rosters so, I could be wrong.
Not as much as it used to be. Currently have 15 players at 275 plus. 9 at 295 plus. Also have good size linebackers and dbs. Good size at running backs too. By comparison Elon has 21 275 plus and 15 295 plus, so yes they are will be bigger.
 #60989  by The Jackal
 Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:43 pm
greenvegas wrote:

Sorta. I don't think "much bigger." Some positions yes. Some positions no.

They are big along the offensive line, which can sometimes cut both ways.
 #60990  by The Jackal
 Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:48 pm
FurmAlum wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:52 pm
Looks to me we play a lot of M to M and not a lot of Cover 2 zone.

Is this true? Not necessarily saying we should change, but want to know.

We do a little bit of everything.
 #60991  by FU Hoopla
 Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:57 pm
Size and might won't overcome the heart and will of a champion

#60998  by gofurman
 Tue Nov 22, 2022 1:14 am
purplehorse wrote:
Threw random thoughts:

1)-Elon is out of school this week per the Elon coach. He said all the players had to do was focus on the game, practice, eat, sleep etc.

When does Furman get out for Thanksgiving? If not until Wed, that seems like a disadvantage to me.

2)-Tyler Huff seems pretty “experienced” on the field, maybe more so than his cumulative game experience (based on bio only 12 total starts at PC-6 in 2019, 6 in spring 2021 and none in fall 2021).

3)--Last year someone parked in my brother’s parking space in the purple lot one game and the attendants said there was nothing they could do. Crazy to me. I would not think you would park in someone else’s space with their name on it.
That could be a big advantage. Is Furman in school this week? Most schools are in until, zTuesday. Elon could do nothing but practice. And study our games…
 #60999  by gofurman
 Tue Nov 22, 2022 1:21 am
apaladin wrote:
I do agree. We are better at run D than pass D in my opinion. Just witness Woff. Nothing doing on ground. Nothing! But a few stellar drives through air n first quarter. Woff threw for over 400 but ran for less than 50. Our DL is a great one but if you have to choose we are better at run stopping than pass rush. It seems 7 and 0 are the best two on the DL and are run stopper extraordinaire. I would say our DL as an 8 of 10 at run stopping and 6 of 10 at pass rush. Saylors etc ran for nothing. But again we gave up a blown coverage v ETSU. We appear to have learned and improved though.

GoFurman win !!!!!!!!!

And we have seen this with aWestern and blown coverages during year. Hoping we’ve fixed that but I still recall that WCU score fest in 4th quarter where they almost caught us.
 #61002  by The Jackal
 Tue Nov 22, 2022 6:33 am
gofurman wrote:
Tue Nov 22, 2022 1:21 am
apaladin wrote:
I do agree. We are better at run D than pass D in my opinion. Just witness Woff. Nothing doing on ground. Nothing! But a few stellar drives through air n first quarter. Woff threw for over 400 but ran for less than 50. Our DL is a great one but if you have to choose we are better at run stopping than pass rush. It seems 7 and 0 are the best two on the DL and are run stopper extraordinaire. I would say our DL as an 8 of 10 at run stopping and 6 of 10 at pass rush. Saylors etc ran for nothing. But again we gave up a blown coverage v ETSU. We appear to have learned and improved though.

GoFurman win !!!!!!!!!

And we have seen this with aWestern and blown coverages during year. Hoping we’ve fixed that but I still recall that WCU score fest in 4th quarter where they almost caught us.

We've held four consecutive opponents under 100 yards rushing.

Three of those four opponents we've held to fewer than 50.

Still not sure I've completely processed this play.

#61003  by The Jackal
 Tue Nov 22, 2022 6:40 am
gofurman wrote:
Tue Nov 22, 2022 1:14 am
purplehorse wrote:
Threw random thoughts:

That could be a big advantage. Is Furman in school this week? Most schools are in until, zTuesday. Elon could do nothing but practice. And study our games…

Maybe.

Routine is important in football. Staying on your normal schedule may have its advantages over coming off a bye week and not being on a normal school schedule.

At this point, Elon's going to come play their game. We're going to play ours. We'll have some wrinkles. So will they.
 #61009  by The Jackal
 Tue Nov 22, 2022 8:35 am
It's always interesting when you dig into the numbers.

Elon is top 10 in the country in sacks with 34. However, they notched eleven against a bad Albany team. Eleven.

Against the arguably three toughest teams they played (Vanderbilt, W&M, and Richmond), the Phoenix had 1 sack over those three games.

If you are counting, the most sacks Furman allowed in a game was 3 (Samford with our backup QB). Since Samford, only one team (oddly, VMI) has notched multiple sacks in a game.

So, that will be an interesting back and forth to watch during the game. It appears to me that most teams are reluctant to really come after Huff due to his running ability.

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:32 am

User avatar Notes from all around

by FurmanATT

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:26 am

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:44 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.