• Our Playoff Chances

#6084  by apaladin
 Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:58 pm
Pretty big numbers. I think the FU/MU game will be a good one. The big question will Sammy go thru the motions? Someone said Hodges is 300 yds short of breaking Steve McNair's passing record?
 #6085  by The Jackal
 Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:44 pm
apaladin wrote:
Pretty big numbers. I think the FU/MU game will be a good one. The big question will Sammy go thru the motions? Someone said Hodges is 300 yds short of breaking Steve McNair's passing record?
Not sure of the exact number, but Hodges is close to being the FCS’ all time pass leader. That is a lot of incentive for them to be hitting on all cylinders.
 #6090  by gofurman
 Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:33 am
The Jackal wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:44 pm
apaladin wrote:
Not sure of the exact number, but Hodges is close to being the FCS’ all time pass leader. That is a lot of incentive for them to be hitting on all cylinders.
the problem may be more about Sam defense - are they missing Gooden? they were vs Citadel. They may have been missing his backup too ! also lost another safety.. they are depleted on D. Missing Gooden alone is a game changer - I hope he can go.

Still if we beat Mercer.. forget score.. JUST WIN, everything is possible
 #6091  by gofurman
 Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:34 am
Paul C wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:57 pm
Furman opens -8 (o/u 56.5)

And Samford opens -10 at ETSU
id take the under in our game
 #6096  by FUBeAR
 Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:39 am
gman wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:47 am
I don’t bet. What does -8 mean?
It means Furman is an 8 point favorite...that, if you want to bet on Furman, they have to win by more than 8 for you to win your bet...that if you bet on Mercer, they have to lose by more than 8 for you to lose your bet...If the difference ends up being FU by 8, nobody loses their bet, but they are out the “vig” (essentially, the service fee charged by ‘the book.’)

Now, when Paul C places his fat wad on the Paladins, then, the line may go to Furman -21 to draw enough bets on Mercer to cover the other side, i.e, Paul C’s winnings. The book makes their money on the vig, not on lost bets.

I’m not a degenerate either. For those who are, did I ‘splain that properly?
 #6097  by gman
 Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:01 am
It looks like the CAA could send 6 teams to the playoffs. I hope the last team to be considered is not between Furman and Elon.
 #6100  by apaladin
 Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:42 am
FUBeAR wrote:
gman wrote:
It means Furman is an 8 point favorite...that, if you want to bet on Furman, they have to win by more than 8 for you to win your bet...that if you bet on Mercer, they have to lose by more than 8 for you to lose your bet...If the difference ends up being FU by 8, nobody loses their bet, but they are out the “vig” (essentially, the service fee charged by ‘the book.’)

Now, when Paul C places his fat wad on the Paladins, then, the line may go to Furman -21 to draw enough bets on Mercer to cover the other side, i.e, Paul C’s winnings. The book makes their money on the vig, not on lost bets.

Good job except one thing. If it is a push or tie no money changes hands. In other words a tie doesn't cost anything.
 #6101  by FUBeAR
 Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:59 am
apaladin wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:42 am
FUBeAR wrote:
gman wrote:

Good job except one thing. If it is a push or tie no money changes hands. In other words a tie doesn't cost anything.
Wasn’t sure...but with a little googling...apparently, in some cases, the vig is charged on a push. Seems to be, if they can get it, they will....but an experienced degenerate would never allow that.
 #6165  by 76MrMoto
 Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:09 am
Below is from Tuesday's Spartanburg newspaper in an article about Wofford's chances for the playoff ;

" If ETSU (8-2, 6-1) falls to Samford (5-5, 4-3) and Furman (5-4, 5-2) falls at Mercer (5-5, 4-3), Wofford would tie for the Southern Conference and earn the automatic berth by way of the Terriers’ 30-17 win against the Buccaneers. A Furman win along with an ETSU loss would force a three-way tie, in which the Paladins would get the automatic bid over Wofford only by holding Mercer to 16 or fewer points. It would come down to points allowed in conference games as a final tiebreaker because all three lost to what would be the fourth-place team, Samford."
 #6168  by fufanatic
 Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:32 am
Being a Samford fan right now has to be the worst. You were minutes away from winning at Florida State, your team is one win away from beating all three of the top teams in the league, you have a SR QB, who is the best in school history and statistically one of the best in FCS history, and you're still not going to win a conference title or make the playoffs this year.
 #6199  by gofurman
 Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:45 pm
Question.

If we beat mercer but don't get the auto... Who am I pulling for to win or lose nationally?

Isn't there an HBCU win that could free a playoff slot?

Help from Jackal and FUBeAR etc much appreciated here. Who am I hoping wins or loses ?
 #6201  by purplehorse
 Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:55 am
76MrMoto wrote:
Below is from Tuesday's Spartanburg newspaper in an article about Wofford's chances for the playoff ;

" If ETSU (8-2, 6-1) falls to Samford (5-5, 4-3) and Furman (5-4, 5-2) falls at Mercer (5-5, 4-3), Wofford would tie for the Southern Conference and earn the automatic berth by way of the Terriers’ 30-17 win against the Buccaneers. A Furman win along with an ETSU loss would force a three-way tie, in which the Paladins would get the automatic bid over Wofford only by holding Mercer to 16 or fewer points. It would come down to points allowed in conference games as a final tiebreaker because all three lost to what would be the fourth-place team, Samford."
Actually I would say that is incorrect.

Furman needs to hold Mercer to 15 points.

If Mercer scores 16 there would be a coin flip (maybe that has already been decided and hence the article says 16 but I would doubt that).

Mercer scores 17 or more, automatic bid would go to Wofford assuming FU and Sammy win.
fufanatic liked this
 #6220  by Riz Dawg
 Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:27 pm
purplehorse wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:55 am
76MrMoto wrote:

Actually I would say that is incorrect.

Furman needs to hold Mercer to 15 points.

If Mercer scores 16 there would be a coin flip (maybe that has already been decided and hence the article says 16 but I would doubt that).

Mercer scores 17 or more, automatic bid would go to Wofford assuming FU and Sammy win.
I wonder if in this situation, rather than flipping a coin, they would break the tie between us and Wofford using the two-team tiebreaker procedure (head-to-head, which we would win). Just a hunch -- I haven't seen anything official that answers this question.

Recent Topics

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:44 am

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by AllTimeFU

Fri Sep 20, 2024 8:59 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.