• FCS Selection Show 12:30pm ESPNU

#60828  by The Jackal
 Sun Nov 20, 2022 3:08 pm
I go back to my earlier question - is it time for the SoCon to "play the game" the other conferences play? Have a "schedule rotation" that all but guarantees your top teams won't play each other every season.

What if Mercer had to play UTC and Furman, but got to dodge Samford this season and played instead North Alabama or Tennessee Tech?

This is what the CAA, MVFC, and Big Sky do. It benefits them in the post season every single year.

Delaware made the post season as a 7-4 bubble team and did not play New Hampshire, the auto bid from their own conference. New Hampshire got in with a hardly impressive resume and didn't play Delaware or William & Mary.

If those games were hypothetically played Delaware v. UNH and UNH v. W&M, there's a darn good chance two of those 3 teams aren't in the post season.
 #60829  by gman84
 Sun Nov 20, 2022 3:29 pm
furmandad wrote:
Sun Nov 20, 2022 2:52 pm
Mercer & Chatt both good teams, but each losing 3 of their last 4 games cost them
I remember Paul Johnson ( GSU coach mid 90s to early 2000s) always said, to make the playoffs you can’t lose in November.
 #60838  by FUBeAR
 Sun Nov 20, 2022 4:59 pm
W&M was the CAA Autobid over New Hampshire on some sort of point-based tie-breaker.

Even @ 8-3, even as CAA Co-Champ, New Hampshire didn’t deserve an At-Large bid solely because they lost, at home, by 3 scores, to a MEAC Team.

The Mildcats are Massey ranked #28. They do have 1 ‘good win’ over Elon, but the average Massey rank of their other wins is 63. Massey #75, Maine, took New Hampshire to OT yesterday before falling by 1. Think about their average win being over Teams ranked 63. Wofford is Massey #64…so, New Hampshire, essentially, beat Wofford 7 times and Elon once…to make the Playoffs.
fupaladin01, Affirm liked this
 #60870  by The Jackal
 Sun Nov 20, 2022 9:47 pm
SoCon talks a big game, but there's a good opportunity here.

Furman gets a shot at arguably the second best CAA team. Win that, and they get to try and beat the team we argued shouldn't have been seeded over us.

Samford may well get a Big Sky team in Birmingham. Win that, and they could go to Fargo and try to upend the Bison.

To start winning some of these arguments, we gotta start winning these games again.
FUpaladin08, fupaladin01, din23 and 3 others liked this
 #60872  by purplehorse
 Sun Nov 20, 2022 10:10 pm
The Jackal wrote:

Furman gets a shot at arguably the second best CAA team. Win that, and they get to try and beat the team we argued shouldn't have been seeded over us.

Samford may well get a Big Sky team in Birmingham. Win that, and they could go to Fargo and try to upend the Bison.

To start winning some of these arguments, we gotta start winning these games again.
100%

It is time for the Southern Conference to start winning playoff games.

Having said that I don’t think a team 4-4 in their conference (Delaware) should be in the playoffs.
 #60874  by The Jackal
 Sun Nov 20, 2022 10:19 pm
purplehorse wrote:
The Jackal wrote:

100%

Having said that I don’t think a team 4-4 in their conference (Delaware) should be in the playoffs.

I'd get rid of the auto bids for some of these conferences barely hanging on and go back to 16 teams with 4 seeds. Finish before Christmas.

If you finish 4th or 5th in your conference, what argument do you have to say that you need a shot for a national title?

My guess, though, is it isn't that complicated. The committee had a slew of 7-4 teams and selected two of the blue blood programs with big fan bases.
 #60875  by fupaladin01
 Sun Nov 20, 2022 10:52 pm
purplehorse wrote:
The Jackal wrote:

100%

I agree totally. The entire purpose of a playoff is to pit teams against each other who (typically) haven't played in the regular season to determine who is better. If 3 teams from your conference are better than you, why do we need to see how good you are vs the rest of the field? At least with Holy Cross, they MIGHT be better than every other team- it has yet to be proven they aren't.

The fact that THIS year's Delaware team lost 4 times SHOULD mean more than LAST year's Delaware team's (or their conference's) performance in the postseason.
 #60886  by The Jackal
 Mon Nov 21, 2022 6:47 am
fupaladin01 wrote:
Sun Nov 20, 2022 10:52 pm
purplehorse wrote:
The Jackal wrote:

100%

I agree totally. The entire purpose of a playoff is to pit teams against each other who (typically) haven't played in the regular season to determine who is better. If 3 teams from your conference are better than you, why do we need to see how good you are vs the rest of the field? At least with Holy Cross, they MIGHT be better than every other team- it has yet to be proven they aren't.

The fact that THIS year's Delaware team lost 4 times SHOULD mean more than LAST year's Delaware team's (or their conference's) performance in the postseason.

Listening to some reports, I believe Montana and Delaware were probably financially motivated.

You've got a bunch of 7-4 teams. None of them really have a clearly better resume. One team offers to big twice as much for a home playoff game as another.

Who would you pick?

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by gofurman

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:22 pm

User avatar Notes from all around

by FurmanATT

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:26 am

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:44 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.