• LIKELY FIRST ROUND OPPONENT

#60691  by apaladin
 Sat Nov 19, 2022 8:06 pm
IF the administration steps up and we get a home game:
Gardner-Webb beat NC A&T 38-17 for Big South
Davidson beat Dayton 24-22 for the Pioneer
Elon did not play.
You can bet it will not be Davidson. They will not give FU(SoCon) the easier of the 3. If no home game then we could wind up anywhere.
FU Hoopla liked this
 #60692  by cavedweller2
 Sat Nov 19, 2022 8:16 pm
9-2 Furman am at home.
Last edited by cavedweller2 on Sat Nov 19, 2022 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FU Hoopla, Bootie liked this
 #60694  by FU Hoopla
 Sat Nov 19, 2022 8:17 pm
At 9-2 and possibly the first or second team left out of top 8 seed this is where you get screwed over with the new playoff format

No longer are the other teams in the playoffs awarded merit for the season they had

That is the financial state of the FCS postseason

Id prefer a field seeded 1-24, but FCS does not have the money to do that so we have to deal with the BS system in place
 #60696  by The Jackal
 Sat Nov 19, 2022 8:19 pm
Not really "anywhere." There's a 400 mile radius limit and we can't play a SoCon team.

So, that will likely leave Davidson, Gardner Webb, Elon, Richmond, and William & Mary. W&M is likely seeded, so the former three seem likely opponents.

My guess is they'll send GWU and Davidson to either Furman or Elon.
mathprofhiker liked this
 #60698  by The Jackal
 Sat Nov 19, 2022 8:22 pm
FU Hoopla wrote:
At 9-2 and possibly the first or second team left out of top 8 seed this is where you get screwed over with the new playoff format

No longer are the other teams in the playoffs awarded merit for the season they had

Id prefer a field seeded 1-24, but FCS does not have the money to do that so we have to deal with the BS system in place

Other than about a 5 year period in the 90s, the playoff format has had limited seeds and regionalized games since the mid 80s.
 #60699  by The Jackal
 Sat Nov 19, 2022 8:29 pm
So, regarding seeding - this from the NCAA website:
Once the full field of 24 teams is completed, the committee seeds the top eight teams. This begins with committee members recommending teams for the top-eight seed pool. A team must receive at least 30 percent of the votes to be included in the seed pool. Once this is done, each committee member ranks the teams in the seed pool via poll vote. The committee reviews and discusses this preliminary ranking before voting again. This final vote produces the eight seeded teams, in order.
So, as I read that, 3 of 10 members have to put Furman in their "seeded" pool. That may happen.

The teams closest to Furman in ranking (Montana and Richmond) both lost. We won big, so I don't think a team is going to leap frog us. Jackson State is ahead of us, but not eligible for FCS playoff.

So, we should be a top 10 team in the eyes of the committee.

Now, are there 3 people on the committee that think we're a top 8 team? Who knows. I believe we have a better resume against a tougher schedule than several teams in the seed discussion.
AstroDin, dornb liked this
 #60702  by FU Hoopla
 Sat Nov 19, 2022 8:46 pm
The Jackal wrote:
FU Hoopla wrote:

Other than about a 5 year period in the 90s, the playoff format has had limited seeds and regionalized games since the mid 80s.

That changes nothing about what I said

A sound financial division should be allowed to award all teams in the playoffs based on merit, the FCS is not financially well off so teams get screwed over, year over year
 #60703  by The Jackal
 Sat Nov 19, 2022 8:48 pm
FU Hoopla wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
FU Hoopla wrote:

A sound financial division should be allowed to award all teams in the playoffs based on merit, the FCS is not financially well off so teams get screwed over, year over year

If they did it based on merit, we wouldn't' be discussing 24 teams half of which will be 7-4.
Last edited by The Jackal on Sat Nov 19, 2022 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #60704  by FU Hoopla
 Sat Nov 19, 2022 8:50 pm
The Jackal wrote:
FU Hoopla wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
FU Hoopla wrote:

If they did it based on merit, we wouldn't' be discussing 24 teams half of which will be 7-4.

What's that got to do with what I am talking about?
 #60705  by The Jackal
 Sat Nov 19, 2022 8:52 pm
FU Hoopla wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
FU Hoopla wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
FU Hoopla wrote:

Honestly, I don't know what you're talking about half the time.

You seem misunderstood a lot on this forum. Maybe it's you.
FUwolfpacker, din23, gman84 liked this
 #60706  by FU Hoopla
 Sat Nov 19, 2022 8:55 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2022 8:52 pm
FU Hoopla wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
FU Hoopla wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
FU Hoopla wrote:

Honestly, I don't know what you're talking about half the time.

You seem misunderstood a lot on this forum. Maybe it's you.

Lol, nah its you

FCS money is dry = Playoff format gets unbalanced for some teams that deserve better
 #60712  by FUBeAR
 Sat Nov 19, 2022 9:51 pm
Paladin91 wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2022 9:39 pm
Bet it will be Gardner Webb vs Furman, and Davidson vs Elon.
Yep…with G-W @ FU winner going to seeded Samford & Davidson @ Elon winner going to seeded William & Mary.

St. Francis matched up with Fordham, then to seeded Holy Cross.
Last edited by FUBeAR on Sat Nov 19, 2022 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by gofurman

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:22 pm

User avatar Notes from all around

by FurmanATT

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:26 am

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:44 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.