• IF....we make the Tournament???

#6047  by Flagman
 Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:49 pm
Our ranking will most likely not be high enough for us to be in a position to host. Plus, as has been said, it's not likely the administration will step up with the necessary funds . If we do indeed get a bid, I just hope it's a drivable distance.
 #6052  by gman
 Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:02 pm
I doubt it, unless a group of supporters come forward with the funds. Furman would lose too much money to pay for it out of the sports budget.
 #6060  by gofurman
 Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:25 pm
Flagman wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:49 pm
Our ranking will most likely not be high enough for us to be in a position to host. Plus, as has been said, it's not likely the administration will step up with the necessary funds . If we do indeed get a bid, I just hope it's a drivable distance.
One of the next steps IF IF IF we get a playoff is to bid for a home game.
That's showing support by the administration
 #6062  by apaladin
 Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:29 pm
Rankings don't have anything to do with the first round. It's the bottom 16 teams and comes down to who wants to put up some money. I imagine we will put in a low ball offer. With poor attendance assured just about everywhere it prolly wouldn't take a whole lot to host a game.
 #6067  by Paul C
 Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:17 pm
If I was in charge, and I’m not, I’d save my limited funds to bid on a 2nd round game. The stakes are higher and better chance to get a reasonable crowd. Would allocate a few $ in the equation for some basic marketing. Some radio spots and such.

BTW if we DO get in I wouldn’t be surprised if we have to visit our old friends at Elon again.
 #6069  by DungeonRealm
 Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:28 pm
Paul C wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:17 pm
If I was in charge, and I’m not, I’d save my limited funds to bid on a 2nd round game. The stakes are higher and better chance to get a reasonable crowd. Would allocate a few $ in the equation for some basic marketing. Some radio spots and such.

BTW if we DO get in I wouldn’t be surprised if we have to visit our old friends at Elon again.

Second Round games will be hosted by seeds 1-8, no bidding will take place for second round
 #6070  by Paul C
 Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:45 pm
Yeah duh...well I still think another trip to Elon could be in the cards. They aren’t going to be a seed like K St will be and I know the committee likes to avoid conference rematches in round 1.

James Madison or NC A&T could also be potential rnd 1 matchups.
 #6071  by The Jackal
 Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:51 pm
Paul C wrote:
Yeah duh...well I still think another trip to Elon could be in the cards. They aren’t going to be a seed like K St will be and I know the committee likes to avoid conference rematches in round 1.
I would also think the committee wants to avoid a fourth Elon/Furman game.

My guess is Wofford gets in and travels to Elon.
 #6073  by FUBeAR
 Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:02 pm
Paul C wrote:

James Madison or NC A&T could also be potential rnd 1 matchups.
Paul - I think you can ”buy” a 3rd round game if both seeded Teams in that part of the bracket lose. So, you can still spend that money!!
 #6074  by fufanatic
 Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:07 pm
Would love someone like a NC A&T in round one followed by a trip to Kenessaw. I just can't imagine they are the No. 2 team in the country. Schedule is a joke. And we owe them for a couple of years ago. But first ... Beat Mercer.
 #6076  by Affirm
 Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:16 pm
There is such a big IF in the shadows of this whole discussion thread. It is fun to speculate, but we need to avoid overlooking that big IF - and I'm talking about the IF in regard to whether or not we will beat Mercer. I certainly do hope we beat them, but I am not overlooking the fact that it is very possible we will lose to Mercer. I hope that Furman team and supporters are taking this game very, very seriously, in order to avoid any degree of overconfidence.
 #6087  by gman
 Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:50 am
affirm wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:16 pm
There is such a big IF in the shadows of this whole discussion thread. It is fun to speculate, but we need to avoid overlooking that big IF - and I'm talking about the IF in regard to whether or not we will beat Mercer. I certainly do hope we beat them, but I am not overlooking the fact that it is very possible we will lose to Mercer. I hope that Furman team and supporters are taking this game very, very seriously, in order to avoid any degree of overconfidence.
We are 5-4. I doubt the team is overconfident.
AstroDin, DeepPurple, FUKA61 and 2 others liked this

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by AllTimeFU

Fri Sep 20, 2024 8:59 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Default Avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FurmAlum

Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:40 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.