• Stepping up

#60244  by fu77fan
 Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:28 pm
It is my opinion that in order for us to beat a good team like Penn State, we are going to have to have others step up other than Bothwell and Slawson . Likewise, it is my opinion that we are going to have to
shoot and make more 3’s.

I am waiting to see who might step up. Based on the first 2 games, perhaps the most likely candidates are Hein and Whitt.

Peques has only 2 points in the first 2 games and has had a number of turnovers. He needs to step up his game.
 #60246  by furpop16
 Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:52 pm
I take a different view. Watching the Butler game it looked like a run-n-gun shoot-em-up from the jump. Played right into their strength. The way to knock them off their game is with defense, and don’t try to out-gun ‘em. Besides, we’re tons deeper than they are: they only played 6 guys with over 15 minutes PT. We played 8.

Listening to CBR it sounds like JP is already putting too much pressure on himself. But the big +/- guy was Anderson (and Whitt). True, Hien had that beautiful block-&-3, but overall his +/- wasn’t much better than Pegues among the starters.

I say double-down on defense and wear ‘em down. Then let Whitt & Anderson loose on ‘em in the 2nd half.
FU69 liked this
 #60247  by saltyshaker
 Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:54 pm
coach in his interviews expresses a lot of confidence in j p.i think vanderwal will be a force over time but not sure he is ready yet.hien needs to sty out of foul trouble.would like to see him give us double doubles consistently.and whitt will be a big contributor sooner than later.
 #60248  by FU Hoopla
 Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:57 pm
Usually with the P5 teams that lack size as Penn St. does we play well and have a solid chance to knock them off, I am expecting an excellent game
 #60251  by RaleighDin
 Tue Nov 15, 2022 9:06 pm
I mean... he's starting as a sophomore, and it's not like Anderson and Whitt are pushover competition. Give him some time, you can see he's got some special ability, just figuring out how to put it all together.

Speaking of the PG position - really encouraged by the depth we have there. Each guy is bringing something different to the table which gives us a lot of different looks.

Outside of the obvious ones, I'm really excited to see what Alex Williams gives us when he can finally get on the court. Knock down shooter with power conference size.
 #60262  by apaladin
 Wed Nov 16, 2022 12:26 am
Marcus Foster is a key no one has mentioned. Another one that coach raves about that has been good but still waiting for him to really break loose.
furpop16 liked this
 #60267  by fu77fan
 Wed Nov 16, 2022 10:10 am
I agree Marcus has great potential. I also failed to mention Anderson . When you throw in Vanderwal , as well as all the others mentioned, you realize that we do have great potential and great depth. I am looking forward to see who can elevate their game!
Davemeister, dornb liked this
 #60268  by Davemeister
 Wed Nov 16, 2022 10:10 am
Aside from Both & Slaw, there is a lot of fluidity in Furman's lineup. Nothing wrong with that - everybody knows they are going to get in the game. The best combination will sort itself out. The best combo might be situational, depending on the opponent.
 #60272  by FU Hoopla
 Wed Nov 16, 2022 10:23 am
Gotta play the hot hand!
 #60274  by Furmanoid
 Wed Nov 16, 2022 10:34 am
furpop16 wrote:
I take a different view. Watching the Butler game it looked like a run-n-gun shoot-em-up from the jump. Played right into their strength. The way to knock them off their game is with defense, and don’t try to out-gun ‘em. Besides, we’re tons deeper than they are: they only played 6 guys with over 15 minutes PT. We played 8.

Listening to CBR it sounds like JP is already putting too much pressure on himself. But the big +/- guy was Anderson (and Whitt). True, Hien had that beautiful block-&-3, but overall his +/- wasn’t much better than Pegues among the starters.

I say double-down on defense and wear ‘em down. Then let Whitt & Anderson loose on ‘em in the 2nd half.
Depth and defense go together. A couple of years ago we were trying to play with 7 guys. You can’t hardly play tight defense like that because you can’t afford foul trouble. Now we have a bunch of guys, so we can hack away if necessary. I think we are evolving into the team CBR really wants. We are going to be a biggish team that plays tight D, rebounds and runs. We can do the stand around and shoot from the arc thing, but we don’t depend on that. If our shooting is off, we’ll still beat almost everybody. I think it may be a monster year. I think 29-1 is very doable.
furpop16 liked this
 #60276  by FU Hoopla
 Wed Nov 16, 2022 10:48 am
Furmanoid wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 10:34 am
furpop16 wrote:

Depth and defense go together. A couple of years ago we were trying to play with 7 guys. You can’t hardly play tight defense like that because you can’t afford foul trouble. Now we have a bunch of guys, so we can hack away if necessary. I think we are evolving into the team CBR really wants. We are going to be a biggish team that plays tight D, rebounds and runs. We can do the stand around and shoot from the arc thing, but we don’t depend on that. If our shooting is off, we’ll still beat almost everybody. I think it may be a monster year. I think 29-1 is very doable.

29-1, nice :D

I'll take anything 20+ wins as long as it includes a win on Monday night March 6th
 #60279  by saltyshaker
 Wed Nov 16, 2022 11:40 am
yep we need to dance in 23.i think if we go 29-1 guessing we'd get an at large bid even if we don't win the scon tourny.
 #60280  by Furmanoid
 Wed Nov 16, 2022 11:52 am
And my 29-1 isn’t crazy. It allows us to lose against either Penn State or NC State. Who else is going to beat us? We shouldn’t lose SoCon games. In the past we’ve lost those when the 3 point lid was on. I think we may be inoculated against that now. I’m cautiously optimistic that this team will beat teams they are supposed to beat, and that’s pretty much everybody.
 #60281  by apaladin
 Wed Nov 16, 2022 12:26 pm
Everyone is talking about depth but we only played 8 players against Belmont except for Hugheys 4 mins.
 #60285  by FU Hoopla
 Wed Nov 16, 2022 12:33 pm
apaladin wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 12:26 pm
Everyone is talking about depth but we only played 8 players against Belmont except for Hugheys 4 mins.
We all know Hughey can play though, we've got 9 that all look pretty solid
apaladin liked this