• Mercer

#5989  by The Jackal
 Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:02 pm
All-in game next weekend in Macon. Furman playing to solidify a winning season with a playoff bid on the line.

With so many bubble teams losing today, I am of the pretty firm opinion that Furman is in the postseason with a win against Mercer regardless of what ETSU does.

In a season where there aren't a lot of teams with a stranglehold on at-large bids, I don't see how you leave home the SoCon's number 2.
AstroDin liked this
 #5991  by purplehorse
 Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:23 pm
Last year in our final game we came up a little short against Sammy. If Harris Roberts had not gotten hurt in our second possession against Sammy this year I think we might have won that game. If we play well and HR doesn’t get injured I think we can beat Mercer.
AstroDin, dornb, QCGlue liked this
 #5993  by gman
 Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:48 am
I watched Mercer against Wofford. Mercer is a bad football team. Surely we can beat them.
 #5994  by The Jackal
 Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:32 am
gman wrote:
I watched Mercer against Wofford. Mercer is a bad football team. Surely we can beat them.
Mercer is plenty good enough and will put up a fight. They are less good with some of their key players laid up with injuries.

I think Furman is the favorite, but Mercer won't go easily.
QCGlue liked this
 #5996  by Affirm
 Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:07 am
Furman has a great deal to play for against Mercer - more than usual, and we usually already have a lot to play for against them.
Davemeister liked this
 #5997  by The Jackal
 Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:11 am
affirm wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:07 am
Furman has a great deal to play for against Mercer - more than usual, and we usually already have a lot to play for against them.
I think all of our games with Mercer have been close.

We had a lot to play for in last year's finale in Birmingham and lost. We showed up and played well, but it'll probably be a four-quarter fight.

Like in most of our games, if we can avoid the turnover bug, I think we will be fine.
 #6001  by AstroDin
 Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:52 am
Watched the Mercer/Chatty game on my laptop while I had the FU game on the big screen. I'm not sure what to think of either team.

I thought both teams played well against each other on defense. Chatty's offense is boring and is so inconsistent. Moc fans have to be wondering if they made the best HC choice.

My take on Mercer is without injuries they would be in the SoCon title hunt. The Bears have athletes… and we have to play smart against their special teams.

>>><<<

I love the way our defense is playing, the Dins held VMI to their lowest SoCon score… Wofford held them to 14 in the second game of the season.

We've got some guys playing really well as the Dins close out the regular season.

Hope is proving to not just be a sack weapon - I believe yesterday was his highest tackle total (6). 12.5 sacks in nine games are impressive but hidden in that stat are 14 tackles for loss and 3 Forced Fumbles.

Jordan Willis. Willis is third on the team in tackles (66) and Jordan is playing his best right now.

I thought Parker Stokes would make more noise this season, he had a very active game yesterday Stokes now has more tackles than Reid (21).

Seabrook is becoming a great bookend for Hope. Seabrook is third on the team in sacks (2.5).

Having Trapp back in the lineup seemed to really help the defensive backfield, plus I believe Staggs employed some funky schemes against the Keydets at times maybe 6 defensive back schemes.

>>><<<

Wynn and Watkins have combined for over 900 yards rushing and eight touchdowns, I don't think you could pick two guys that create a better one-two punch than those two. These guys will get stronger - it's going to be fun to watch these guys progress.

I think Morehead saw a snap or two yesterday - Morehead healthy and on a fast field is a weapon - it would be a plus to have him full speed against the Bears. Same goes for Dirks.

And all of a sudden the tight end has become a weapon - Walker lead the Dins with 102 receiving yards and two touchdowns.

>>><<<

Right now - Furman is a lot to handle. Yes, this is Lamb vs Hendrix matchup, or is it? I have zero knowledge of the Bears coordinators but I don't think I'm being overly optimistic to say, Quarles and Staggs, are about as good as it gets at this level. With a healthy Roberts Furman is the most creative offense in the SoCon.
FUBeAR, Jasper, furman88 liked this
 #6013  by gofurman
 Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:24 pm
gman wrote:
I'm not sure that's a good measuring stick. That's the game v Wofford - I do think - where Riley got hurt and Mitchell got hurt ... I.E., that's the game where the wheel fell off ....And Mercer had no chance to prep the backups. It happened during the game. I.E., that's like us playing Samford when Roberts got hurt. Then the next week w time during the week to prep Lincoln and give him reps we won. And Mercer has won since.

plus Lamb bowl - always a super close game !!! Scary. We were a strong team last year and had to convert 4/4 fourth downs tomSURVIVE mercer last year at home. Now we go to Macon where it's been a bunch of outcomes I don't like to discuss

plus they may have one of the starting QBs back vs us and there is talk Tee Mitchell (star RB) may be back and FUBeAR said they may have their star athlete back too. in other words, Lamb said on radio, they may have all their firepower back vs us. 3 or 4 key guys that have been missing. Huge difference
 #6014  by Affirm
 Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:52 pm
I am surprised if any Furman supporter honestly thinks this is not going to be a very hard game for Furman.
gofurman liked this
 #6019  by apaladin
 Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:03 pm
gofurman wrote:
gman wrote:
I'm not sure that's a good measuring stick. That's the game v Wofford - I do think - where Riley got hurt and Mitchell got hurt ... I.E., that's the game where the wheel fell off ....And Mercer had no chance to prep the backups. It happened during the game. I.E., that's like us playing Samford when Roberts got hurt. Then the next week w time during the week to prep Lincoln and give him reps we won. And Mercer has won since.

plus Lamb bowl - always a super close game !!! Scary. We were a strong team last year and had to convert 4/4 fourth downs tomSURVIVE mercer last year at home. Now we go to Macon where it's been a bunch of outcomes I don't like to discuss

plus they may have one of the starting QBs back vs us and there is talk Tee Mitchell (star RB) may be back and FUBeAR said they may have their star athlete back too. in other words, Lamb said on radio, they may have all their firepower back vs us. 3 or 4 key guys that have been missing. Huge difference
GF-Everybody scares you, LOL. You were scared of VMI. :D I get your point though, Mercer is a good team, better with all healthy players. Did you know that both of their TD's again UTC came after a total of 20 yds. because of long KO returns? It just comes down to this: If we can't beat Mercer we don't deserve to be in the playoffs.
FUpaladin08, QCGlue liked this
 #6021  by FUBeAR
 Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:06 am
apaladin wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:03 pm
gofurman wrote:
gman wrote:

Did you know that both of their TD's again UTC came after a total of 20 yds. because of long KO returns?
I knew that. (73 yd & 91 yd returns)

Did you know they also had a 29 yard punt return to set up a (missed) FG Attempt?

Did you know Mercer leads the SoCon in KOR (7th in FCS) and PR (10th in FCS) Averages?

Did you know Mercer’s leading Kickoff Returner (prior to Sat.) (27.63 avg./1 TD - #12 in FCS) didn’t even play @ UTC due to injury?
* unsure if he’ll return this week - concussed vs. ETSU

And in an interesting Returns “Did you know”...a former Mercer Player (the one who caught the game-winning TD in Mercer’s 2015 upset of #3 Chatt.) is #2 in the FCS in KOR Avg. (34.4) & #1 in KOR TD’s (3) now playing for Bethune-Cookman. (He was ‘invited’ to leave Mercer by University Admin...for good (to remain undisclosed) reason. (It happens in ALL programs, Jackal))

#ReturnYardsMatter

...so does having a healthy, experienced, sufficiently talented QB on the field, as we Furman Fans also know all too well.
Last edited by FUBeAR on Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #6022  by DeepPurple
 Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:26 am
Our all conference kicker needs to kick it in the end zone on KO's. He may be the difference Saturday afternoon. This young bunch seems to get better each week. I saw where we started 5 soph. on the OL. The VMI game worried me in that they had played several teams very close during the season. We just need to take care of our business Saturday, all we can control is us and GO FU!
AstroDin, FUpaladin08 liked this
 #6023  by The Jackal
 Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:31 am
DeepPurple wrote:
Our all conference kicker needs to kick it in the end zone on KO's. He may be the difference Saturday afternoon. This young bunch seems to get better each week. I saw where we started 5 soph. on the OL. The VMI game worried me in that they had played several teams very close during the season. We just need to take care of our business Saturday, all we can control is us and GO FU!
I was going to note this as well.

UTC is the SoCon's worst team at forcing touchbacks. They've forced only 6 (12% of the time). That is, you have a much higher likelihood of returning a kick against the Mocs.

Furman is the complete opposite. They are the league's best team at forcing touchbacks (52% of the time). Furman has forced more touchbacks than any other SoCon team despite playing in fewer games. I would wager that when Atkins doesn't force a touchback, he probably does it on purpose.

Long story short, if Mercer has a good kick returner, I would suspect that Atkins will be called upon to kick it deep. Not guaranteed to happen, of course, but guys with his kind of leg can put it deep in the endzone 9 times out of 10.
DeepPurple, QCGlue liked this
 #6024  by FUBeAR
 Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:00 am
The Jackal wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:31 am
DeepPurple wrote:
I was going to note this as well.

UTC is the SoCon's worst team at forcing touchbacks. They've forced only 6 (12% of the time). That is, you have a much higher likelihood of returning a kick against the Mocs.

Furman is the complete opposite. They are the league's best team at forcing touchbacks (52% of the time). Furman has forced more touchbacks than any other SoCon team despite playing in fewer games. I would wager that when Atkins doesn't force a touchback, he probably does it on purpose.

Long story short, if Mercer has a good kick returner, I would suspect that Atkins will be called upon to kick it deep. Not guaranteed to happen, of course, but guys with his kind of leg can put it deep in the endzone 9 times out of 10.
Mercer has TWO outstanding Kick Returners (#7 & #12 in FCS) and it hasn’t been only against UTC.

That said, I think you are right & barring a serious opposing wind, I don’t think either of them gets a ‘touch’ on Saturday.

As an aside, the HS Team I used to Coach had a Kicker/Punter 1 year that put EVERY ONE of his Kickoffs (except a few onsides ones) out of the back of the endzone. Many of them went through the uprights, which was his goal. Played at UAB & now Kicking/Punting for the BC Lions in the CFL. His Team has nominated him for the LEAGUE MVP award. Kickers, as much FUBeAR dislikes them (‘professionally,’ as a general rule), can be powerful weapons. To tie this into the thread topic...Mercer’s 1st-ever (modern era) Pro, LB Lee Bennett, is a Rookie Teammate of this K/P dude.

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by The Jackal

Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:38 am

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:44 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.