• Wofford

#60106  by apaladin
 Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:13 am
Even though WC has struggled running the ball(except VMI) they have thrown for almost 1,100 yds the last 4 games so yes they will score some. Kinda worried about the early kickoff. Our only other noon kick was at CSU which we were flat as a pancake the entire game. Anyone konw why the start time was changed? Originally it was 2pm.
 #60149  by The Jackal
 Mon Nov 14, 2022 2:39 pm
apaladin wrote:
Even though WC has struggled running the ball(except VMI) they have thrown for almost 1,100 yds the last 4 games so yes they will score some. Kinda worried about the early kickoff. Our only other noon kick was at CSU which we were flat as a pancake the entire game. Anyone konw why the start time was changed? Originally it was 2pm.

The team is a lot of the same cast of characters we have seen for a number of years. They are a fairly veteran group and start a bunch of juniors and seniors on both sides of the ball.

I'm still diving into some of their games, but you can see pretty quickly they are not fundamentally sound on defense - lot of bad angles, poor tackling, don't really swarm to the ball.

Offensively, the big difference is the passing game. They don't run it particularly well, but have started running a lot of max protect/RPO stuff. Nothing we haven't seen before.

Honestly, I'd expect anything and everything from them. They're going to throw the kitchen sink at us. I think if we can keep pounding the run game and avoid turnovers, we'll be fine.

Wofford has had success in turning games into shootouts. If Furman's defense can limit their downfield passing game, we'll be alright.
 #60183  by gofurman
 Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:47 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Mon Nov 14, 2022 2:39 pm
apaladin wrote:

The team is a lot of the same cast of characters we have seen for a number of years. They are a fairly veteran group and start a bunch of juniors and seniors on both sides of the ball.

I'm still diving into some of their games, but you can see pretty quickly they are not fundamentally sound on defense - lot of bad angles, poor tackling, don't really swarm to the ball.

Offensively, the big difference is the passing game. They don't run it particularly well, but have started running a lot of max protect/RPO stuff. Nothing we haven't seen before.

Honestly, I'd expect anything and everything from them. They're going to throw the kitchen sink at us. I think if we can keep pounding the run game and avoid turnovers, we'll be fine.

Wofford has had success in turning games into shootouts. If Furman's defense can limit their downfield passing game, we'll be alright.
Yep - very oversimplified - but the current Woff (all that matters) appears to be a similar beast to WCU. As crazy as that sounds... though I seriously doubt the recvrs are anything like the WCU speed

At times they have had great success through the air (400+ yards throwing vs ETSU - I cannot explain that.. but 3 TDs and no picks in a win over a defense that has talent as we know). The passing comes and goes some...

But what encourages me is the inability to run and the inability to stop the run. We should do fine if we run, execute, and do not turn the ball over. Run, Run, Run
- ETSU ran for a gaudy 10 yards per play v Woff, though that seems the exception.
- WOff ran for 5 yards per play vs ETSU.
...WOff won the game via the air here... with teh aforementioned 400 yard passing game :?

- WCU ran for 5 yds p play v Woff.
- WOff ran 27 times for 80 yards for a 3 yard per carry avg vs WCU.
... And what do you know... WCU beat Woff - holding them that low in rushing appears to have doomed them. Both teams passed for 250+ yards.

- The Citadel also ran for 5 yards per play vs Woff- 47 attempts for 250 yards.
- Vs Citadel Woff ran 32 times for 117 yards. Only 3.7 per attempt.
... Granted, Woff won this game - I think Turnovers played a key role.

The point remains that Citadel (a decent defense as we know) and Western (NOT a good run D) shut down the Woff run game making them one dimensional. WCU and Cit ran for 5 yards a pop on WOff and ETSU somehow ran for 10 yards a pop !

So the yards are there to be had by running and stop the run.

I pick these games as they are most recent and with the new coach. They also killed VMI but there is just not much going at VMI this year. These 3 games there is at least some decent talent in the opposition.
 #60184  by gofurman
 Tue Nov 15, 2022 12:04 am
The Jackal wrote:
Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:26 am
cavedweller2 wrote:
Mon Nov 14, 2022 8:44 am
Wofford is terrible. 40-0 Paladins.
Furman needs to leave no doubt in this one.

Wofford struggles to run the ball and they struggle to stop the run.

I think the Terriers best chance is to try and channel their inner Western Carolina. The Catamounts couldn't stop the run game, but kept it close by running the QB and just airing it out.

Admittedly, I think Furman learned a lot of lessons against Western Carolina. We made a lot of mistakes I, frankly, haven't seen us make since.

Make no mistake, though. This is their Super Bowl. Wofford would like nothing more than to rain on our home game and gain some momentum going into the offseason.
THIS. Jackal, I agree. I certainly don't expect the 40-0 predicted in a post above. These guys have recently beaten ETSU and CItadel and played about even with Western (lost 36-29). This is not teh Woff of 5 weeks ago. It's not

Any team that beats ETSU and Citadel has something. Heck, they hung 31 on Citadel which is more than we did. They also hung 48 (!!!) on ETSU which was unfathomable early in the year. I think that is partly due to ETSU though. Still, the point remains the new guy has them believing they can win now.

Are they as talented? No. Is Woff capable, especially as it is their SBowl? Yes.. Should we win? Yes.

But they will be motivated and they have D1 athletes. We better come ready to play !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 #60188  by apaladin
 Tue Nov 15, 2022 12:27 am
In case you missed it CCH said some players could be introduced on Senior Day but will still be playing next year. Looks like a very small crowd Saturday. I assume all the normal pregame activities have been cancelled due to the early start.
 #60194  by purplehorse
 Tue Nov 15, 2022 1:38 am
Did Wofford shut down their message board? I can no longer find it like I have always been able to do.
 #60195  by FUBeAR
 Tue Nov 15, 2022 2:18 am
purplehorse wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 1:38 am
Did Wofford shut down their message board? I can no longer find it like I have always been able to do.
Still active, but you have to register to view

https://woffordfans.com/

These forums are private and can only be viewed by registered users.

If you would like to register an account, please email Ben Wofford ( woffordcollegefan@gmail.com ) and provide your requested username.
 #60196  by The Jackal
 Tue Nov 15, 2022 6:19 am
gofurman wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 12:04 am
The Jackal wrote:
Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:26 am
cavedweller2 wrote:
Mon Nov 14, 2022 8:44 am
Wofford is terrible. 40-0 Paladins.
Furman needs to leave no doubt in this one.

Wofford struggles to run the ball and they struggle to stop the run.

I think the Terriers best chance is to try and channel their inner Western Carolina. The Catamounts couldn't stop the run game, but kept it close by running the QB and just airing it out.

Admittedly, I think Furman learned a lot of lessons against Western Carolina. We made a lot of mistakes I, frankly, haven't seen us make since.

Make no mistake, though. This is their Super Bowl. Wofford would like nothing more than to rain on our home game and gain some momentum going into the offseason.
THIS. Jackal, I agree. I certainly don't expect the 40-0 predicted in a post above. These guys have recently beaten ETSU and CItadel and played about even with Western (lost 36-29). This is not teh Woff of 5 weeks ago. It's not

Any team that beats ETSU and Citadel has something. Heck, they hung 31 on Citadel which is more than we did. They also hung 48 (!!!) on ETSU which was unfathomable early in the year. I think that is partly due to ETSU though. Still, the point remains the new guy has them believing they can win now.

Are they as talented? No. Is Woff capable, especially as it is their SBowl? Yes.. Should we win? Yes.

But they will be motivated and they have D1 athletes. We better come ready to play !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Watching them play ETSU a bit, I get the impression the Bucs have sort of given up on the season. We played them early when they were still fired up. Now they look ready to make it to the finish line.

I'm not sure anyone knows what Citadel team shows up week to week.
 #60201  by AstroDin
 Tue Nov 15, 2022 7:55 am
You guys cheer on the DINS for me. I head out to Cali for work in the morning. I will be bringing my Jersey with me to rock on Saturday.

On a funny side note. My wife and I have a new pup in our home. He's a Boston Terrier. He's a fantastic little guy, fiesty, funny, and a cuddler. Plus, a lot of attitude!
gman84 liked this
 #60202  by The Jackal
 Tue Nov 15, 2022 7:59 am
I realize that Hendrix is not big on "style points." All he cares about is getting the win, not running up scores, padding stats, etc.

Frankly, I think if the opportunity presents itself against Wofford, we need to bury the axe. Win the game, but if there's a chance to win convincingly, take it.

The committee is going to put Furman somewhere on the board during the selection. The more impressive Furman's resume, the better our position on the board. Maybe a seed. Maybe we can host a Pioneer League team or Patriot League team. Maybe we can avoid going to Utah or Montana or California until the quarterfinals.

The Terriers canceled our home game in the spring of 2021. Hendrix said that six years in, this is only the second game he's played Wofford at home. Bury them.
 #60204  by FUBeAR
 Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:26 am
The Jackal wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 6:41 am
No, I did not know this.

Same, but FUBeAR did know that he’s been fired and re-hired as Woffy’s starting QB more times than George Steinbrenner fired and rehired Billy Martin.
 #60206  by The Jackal
 Tue Nov 15, 2022 9:42 am
Hard to believe Wofford's QB has 2000 yards passing and -21 yards rushing. His longest run of the year is 14 yards.
 #60208  by Davemeister
 Tue Nov 15, 2022 10:30 am
He won't pass for many yards Saturday if he spends most of his afternoon on the turf with 2-3 Paladins on top.
Last edited by Davemeister on Tue Nov 15, 2022 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AstroDin, QCGlue, dornb liked this

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by gofurman

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:22 pm

User avatar Notes from all around

by FurmanATT

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:26 am

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:44 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.