• Playoff projections

#60082  by AllTimeFU
 Mon Nov 14, 2022 12:37 am
My thoughts are this:
1 - it would be nice to not be sent far away and into terrible weather for round 1 or 2.
2 - we have a QB from FL

If this means a round 1 game against Davidson and 2 against Samford, hey, it could be much worse. We are good and have the potential to go a few rounds. I’d just rather not have to get out of our weather zone early.
FUBeAR liked this
 #60087  by The Jackal
 Mon Nov 14, 2022 6:48 am
AllTimeFU wrote:
Mon Nov 14, 2022 12:37 am
My thoughts are this:
1 - it would be nice to not be sent far away and into terrible weather for round 1 or 2.
2 - we have a QB from FL

If this means a round 1 game against Davidson and 2 against Samford, hey, it could be much worse. We are good and have the potential to go a few rounds. I’d just rather not have to get out of our weather zone early.

The reality is unless we're seeded, there's a good chance we'll eventually have to go out west or to the Dakotas. To be the man you gotta beat the man.

There will be a lot of teams in this post season field, though, that we are perfectly capable of beating.
 #60093  by paladinfan12
 Mon Nov 14, 2022 8:59 am
This is what the SoCon Picture looks like:

Samford - Lock for Playoff Spot. Will get top 8 seed if they beat Mercer. Otherwise they will not get a top 8 seed.
Furman - Lock for Playoff Spot. Possibility for top 8 seed if they beat Wofford and others ahead of them lose.
Chattanooga - Win against WCU should guarantee playoff spot.
Mercer - Win against Samford should guarantee playoff spot.

I still have a hard time believing they will take 4 SoCon teams if Chattanooga and Mercer win next week, but all 4 have pretty immaculate resumes besides losses to each other.
FUBeAR, dornb liked this
 #60099  by The Jackal
 Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:16 am
paladinfan12 wrote:
Mon Nov 14, 2022 8:59 am
This is what the SoCon Picture looks like:

Samford - Lock for Playoff Spot. Will get top 8 seed if they beat Mercer. Otherwise they will not get a top 8 seed.
Furman - Lock for Playoff Spot. Possibility for top 8 seed if they beat Wofford and others ahead of them lose.
Chattanooga - Win against WCU should guarantee playoff spot.
Mercer - Win against Samford should guarantee playoff spot.

I still have a hard time believing they will take 4 SoCon teams if Chattanooga and Mercer win next week, but all 4 have pretty immaculate resumes besides losses to each other.
I agree with this.

Furman looks like it will be sitting around the 10th ranked spot in these polls (though the coaches poll has been an outlier all season).

Of the teams ahead of them, there are a few where a team could realistically lose:

(1) North Dakota State has been good, but not as dominant as they usually look. They play top 20 North Dakota.

(2) Sacramento State has a plucky UC Davis team playing for their playoff lives.

(3) Montana State has a home rivalry game against top 20 Montana. Montana needs the win bad.

(4) UIW plays an "ok not good" Northwestern State team

(5) Samford plays Mercer

(6) William and Mary plays Richmond.

So, there are a few winnable games in there. I hope we go for the jugular against Wofford and make a statement for "next in line" in the event on of those teams falls.
Affirm liked this
 #60125  by Davemeister
 Mon Nov 14, 2022 12:00 pm
FCS BRACKET PICTURE -- IT STARTS NEXT WEEK:

Really curious to see who gets in, and who doesn't.

That 7-4 to 8-3 range looks potentially packed.

That's why we must win Saturday. LEAVE NO DOUBT!!!
dornb, bj93 liked this
 #60133  by MNORM
 Mon Nov 14, 2022 12:51 pm
Beat Wofford (and assuming we don't get seeded) and I see a 1st round home game against Davidson or the winner of Gardner-Webb/NC A&T.
 #60146  by paladinfan12
 Mon Nov 14, 2022 2:18 pm
MNORM wrote:
Beat Wofford (and assuming we don't get seeded) and I see a 1st round home game against Davidson or the winner of Gardner-Webb/NC A&T.
This would be awesome, would love for a Thanksgiving Home Game.

Does anyone know how these games are distributed? In the past I understood they took the best 8 bids to host (which we typically don't have), but I could be wrong.
 #60147  by apaladin
 Mon Nov 14, 2022 2:22 pm
paladinfan12 wrote:
Mon Nov 14, 2022 2:18 pm
MNORM wrote:
This would be awesome, would love for a Thanksgiving Home Game.

Does anyone know how these games are distributed? In the past I understood they took the best 8 bids to host (which we typically don't have), but I could be wrong.
That is correct, the 8 first round games go to the highest bidders.
 #60153  by FU Hoopla
 Mon Nov 14, 2022 4:13 pm
FUwolfpacker wrote:
Mon Nov 14, 2022 3:02 pm
Hero Sports released their most recent bracketology. I believe they are pretty good with their projections historically. I would take this set up I think. I think we definitely want Davidson to beat Dayton. Not sure how that would shift things around regional if Dayton got the autobid.

https://herosports.com/fcs-football-202 ... ns-8-bzbz/

Looks decent, still hoping for some upsets this weekend to bump us up
 #60156  by apaladin
 Mon Nov 14, 2022 4:25 pm
MNORM wrote:
Not bad but all of those would prolly outbid FU for the game.