• Around the League-It Ain't over 'til its Over.

#5868  by fufanatic
 Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:11 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:04 pm
stonemd wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:34 am
For any chance for autobid
Citadel beats Samford
Furman win out
Wofford win out
Samford beats ETSU
Three way tie Furman Woff ETSU
All 1-1 against each other

"If the tie is still not broken, the team with the fewest points allowed among the tied teams shall be considered"

I'm no lawyer but it is always going to be a choice of a team "among the tied teams"

So the points refers to the games between the tied teams

They could have written:

... fewest points allowed in all games shall ...

...fewest points allowed in all FCS games shall ...

... fewest points allowed in SOCON games shall...

If it refers to anything beside points allowed in the games between the tied teams it is completely ambiguous.

So it may be difficult for some but we need to root for the Citadel to win!
An AGS poster rec’d clarification from the SoCon Dir of Championships. As always, the answer is “C” ... fewest points allowed in SOCON games shall...
So in this scenario of who allowed the least total points in SoCon games between Wofford, Furman and ETSU in the event of a tie, I would suggest we bring the D this week and hold VMI low. We are at 146 points, Wofford is at 152 and ETSU is at 179, but we've played one game less. Hopefully Western piles on the points this Saturday, but Wofford still wins if that's the best way for us to get the auto.
 #5884  by FUBeAR
 Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:46 pm
fufanatic wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:11 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
stonemd wrote:
Citadel beats Samford
Furman win out
Wofford win out
Samford beats ETSU

"If the tie is still not broken, the team with the fewest points allowed among the tied teams shall be considered"

I'm no lawyer but it is always going to be a choice of a team "among the tied teams"

They could have written:

If it refers to anything beside points allowed in the games between the tied teams it is completely ambiguous.

An AGS poster rec’d clarification from the SoCon Dir of Championships. As always, the answer is “C” ... fewest points allowed in SOCON games shall...
So in this scenario of who allowed the least total points in SoCon games between Wofford, Furman and ETSU in the event of a tie, I would suggest we bring the D this week and hold VMI low. We are at 146 points, Wofford is at 152 and ETSU is at 179, but we've played one game less. Hopefully Western piles on the points this Saturday, but Wofford still wins if that's the best way for us to get the auto.
Yes....This week, Furman Fans need to be Fans of (and hopeful for)...

FU and FU's Defense especially
The Citadel (vomit emoji)
WCU's Offense A LOT
Wofford's Offense a little bit more than WCU's (a 7 OT game with Wofford winning on a missed XP by WCU would be ideal)

Then, next week...

FU and FU's Defense especially
Samford and Samford's Offense especially
Last edited by FUBeAR on Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #5888  by apaladin
 Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:13 am
It should be between the teams involved. The way it is encourages teams to keep the hammer down on teams they are beating badly, not play young players etc. What does how bad FU or WC beats VMI or WCU have to do with determining a playoff spot? Just as an example if FU is beating someone 45-0 and shows a little class and plays other players and the other team score 21 in the last quarter and a half and win 45-21. Say WC is in a tight battle with the same team and wins 21-17. Is WC better than FU in this scenario? The way it is set up they would have the advantage. I know this may be extreme but this encourages to not let up on lesser teams.
stonemd liked this
 #5965  by fupaladin01
 Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:22 pm
Citadel put together an incredible comeback, dominating Samford in the 2nd half to beat them 42-26!!! Wofford currently trailing WCU at the half. Provided we win out, our remaining scenarios are:

2-way tie for 2nd w Wofford (less 10% chance for playoffs I fear)

Sole possession of 2nd in SoCon (15-30% chance maybe)

3-way tie w Wofford and ETSU for 1st (30-40% chance IF they examine schedules)

Tie for 1st in SoCon w ETSU-(55-60% chance)

These are just my optimistic guesses. Thoughts?
 #5968  by MNORM
 Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:30 pm
fupaladin01 wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:22 pm
Citadel put together an incredible comeback, dominating Samford in the 2nd half to beat them 42-26!!! Wofford currently trailing WCU at the half. Provided we win out, our remaining scenarios are:

2-way tie for 2nd w Wofford (less 10% chance for playoffs I fear)

Sole possession of 2nd in SoCon (15-30% chance maybe)

3-way tie w Wofford and ETSU for 1st (30-40% chance IF they examine schedules)

Tie for 1st in SoCon w ETSU-(55-60% chance)

These are just my optimistic guesses. Thoughts?
Don't we have a very good chance of the tie-breaker for the auto-bid in this scenario?

Wofford just scored. They now lead by 1.
 #5976  by purplehorse
 Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:02 pm
In the event of a three-way tie, the won-loss records of the tied teams against each other is first considered (i.e., head to head concept). If the teams are still tied, then each team’s record against the highest seeded team not involved in the tie is considered. If the tie is still not broken, the teams’ won-loss record against the next highest seeded team not involved in the tie is considered and so on down the line until the tie is broken. If the tie is still not broken, the team with the fewest points allowed among the tied teams shall be considered. If this does not resolve the tie, then the automatic bid will be determined by a random draw conducted by the Commissioner;
C. In the event of multiple ties after a three-way tie, the same procedure as used to break a three- way tie will be applied until the tie is broken.

I would interpret this as with a 3 way tie-ETSU, Wofford and FU-since we are all 1-1 against each other-that the winner would be who had the best record against other teams going down the line-which I do not think breaks the tie. By my calculations, please correct me if I am wrong, if we beat Mercer and hold them to 14 points we would get the automatic bid. Help me out here, am I correct? Wofford-175 points allowed, thru 8 games, ETSU-179 thru 7, FU 159 thru 7 games.
 #5988  by The Jackal
 Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:43 pm
I think these are the auto bid scenarios:

ETSU: Must beat Samford.

I do not think there is a path forward for ETSU to keep the auto bid with a loss. If Furman wins, there will be a three way tie between ETSU/Furman/Wofford. The tiebreaker will go to points allowed in conference play, which ETSU will lose.

f Furman loses, ETSU will lose the head-to-head tiebreaker with Wofford.

Furman: ETSU must lose to Samford. Furman must beat Mercer.

There will be a three way tie breaker with ETSU/Furman/Wofford. Furman must hold Mercer to 15 or fewer points.

Wofford: ETSU must lose to Samford.

If Furman loses, Wofford is the autobid.

If Furman wins and Mercer scores more than 16 points.
 #5995  by Affirm
 Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:04 am
FUBeAR wrote:
stonemd wrote:
Citadel beats Samford
Furman win out
Wofford win out
Samford beats ETSU

They could have written:

I am sometimes slow catching on (I know several may want to quote me on that), but I have come to the impression that Furman has a big task ahead against Mercer. We have to get the win - very big task. We have to both outscore Mercer in points AND hold Mercer’s points to below some unknown number.
 #5998  by The Jackal
 Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:14 am
I think there is danger in playing a team trying to angle for a desired point outcome. We have to get the win. If the points work out, that's great.

I think Furman is in with a win regardless. The autobid would take a little handwringing, but I still think we make it.
AstroDin liked this
 #5999  by AstroDin
 Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:51 am
The Jackal wrote:
I think there is danger in playing a team trying to angle for a desired point outcome. We have to get the win. If the points work out, that's great.

I think Furman is in with a win regardless. The autobid would take a little handwringing, but I still think we make it.
I agree… I was watching the VMI game stressing if VMI was going to score again with the game basically over. Furman was still playing far more starters on defense in the fourth than the offense.

With a shi##y playing field — we were lucky to get out of there without serious injuries.
 #6008  by The Jackal
 Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:37 pm
AstroDin wrote:
The Jackal wrote:

I agree… I was watching the VMI game stressing if VMI was going to score again with the game basically over. Furman was still playing far more starters on defense in the fourth than the offense.

With a shi##y playing field — we were lucky to get out of there without serious injuries.
To be fair, I think we rotate a whole lot more on defense than on offense. I'm not sure how many reserves we have ready beyond the two rotations.
 #6009  by FUBeAR
 Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:42 pm
AstroDin wrote:
LOL - VMI’s field is Augusta National compared to Yale’s.

$30B endowment = Slop Pen of a playing surface ... I guess

...which is actually unfair to most slop pens I’ve seen.
 #6015  by Affirm
 Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:01 pm
The Jackal wrote:

Personally, I care much more about getting the 6th win than I do about having X number of points scored. Yes, playoffs would be beneficial to the program, but so would ending the season with a win. The best positive would be beating Mercer, in my opinion. To me, they and Wofford and Citadel are presently major rivals for us.
FUKA61, Jasper liked this

Recent Topics

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 1:19 am

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Default Avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FurmAlum

Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:40 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.