• citadel rallies to knock off samford

#5967  by saltyshaker
 Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:23 pm
never been a cadet fan but was today.if we can beat mercer and Samford can knock off etsu,the conference will be a three way tie.etsu Wofford and us with each having a win and a loss in the head to head match-up.even if etsu wins we would tie for 2nd with Wofford over whom we have a head to head win.
maybe we still have a flicker of playoff hope.
 #5969  by FUBeAR
 Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:33 pm
More than a flicker. I would be very surprised if those 2 games don’t go as expected. Comes down to points then.

Need WCU to keep scoring and Woffy to keep the same 1 point margin they have now.

Need Samford’s O to play ANGRY next week.
 #5970  by saltyshaker
 Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:40 pm
Wofford trails wcu at the half 20-14.ithink we need Wofford to win to get in a 3 way tie where we each have 1-1 records .if Wofford loses best we could do is tie etsu .and they have the tiebreaker over us.but we would be 2nd alone regardless of the outcome of the etsu-samford game.this is all making my head hurt.let's just beat mercer and see what happens.
 #5975  by FUBeAR
 Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:44 pm
tim wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:51 pm
Not sure the Sammy team I saw today beats anybody, but there is hope.
Samford boat races ETSU next week
 #5977  by Paul C
 Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:07 pm
Hodges is 300+ yards short of Steve McNair’s FCS passing record. There going to be playing aggressively.

Also, SoCon DPOY Ahmad Golden didn’t play for Sammy today. If he’s back next week he’s a difference maker, as we know.
 #5978  by fupaladin01
 Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:09 pm
By my calculations, if it comes down to points, Wofford leads ETSU 175-179- and ETSU has a game left to play. Furman sits at 159 with one to go.
So, Samford beats ETSU and FU holds Mercer under 15 in a win and we get the auto-bid?? Could it be???

Update: according to Coach Hendrix’s understanding, it’s the points allowed between the tied teams- and we have the fewest! So a simple W at Mercer and an L for the Mocs means post season play!
dornb liked this
 #5980  by Affirm
 Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:16 pm
None of this discussion matters unless we beat Mercer. I think it is going to be very difficult for us to beat Mercer on November 17, 2018.
bj93 liked this
 #5981  by The Jackal
 Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:40 pm
fupaladin01 wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:09 pm
By my calculations, if it comes down to points, Wofford leads ETSU 175-179- and ETSU has a game left to play. Furman sits at 159 with one to go.
So, Samford beats ETSU and FU holds Mercer under 15 in a win and we get the auto-bid?? Could it be???

Update: according to Coach Hendrix’s understanding, it’s the points allowed between the tied teams- and we have the fewest! So a simple W at Mercer and an L for the Mocs means post season play!
A citadel fan on AGS wrote the SoCon on that question and he said it was points in conference play.

Admittedly, that’s not how the rule is written, though could be interpreted that way. I’d suggest Coach Hendrix make a phone call to figure that out.
 #5983  by FUBeAR
 Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:14 pm
affirm wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:16 pm
None of this discussion matters unless we beat Mercer. I think it is going to be very difficult for us to beat Mercer on November 17, 2018.
Yeah, if Mercer was going to fold up their tents after being eliminated from the SoCon race & any chance at the Playoffs last week, they had many opportunities to start pulling up their stakes in Chattanooga today. Looked like they, instead, brought out their hammers & pounded ‘em further in the ground.

Their Offense was certainly on life support with 4 MAJOR Playmakers (2 QB’s) out (this week), but their inconsistent (this year) Defense is still as good as any in the SoCon when they play up to their potential. And they have difference-makers on Special Teams.

I wouldn’t expect a walkover either way, but if they can get a couple of those guys back on Offense, this game @ Mercer is still a toss-up. Furman will need to play an outstanding game in all 3 phases to stay in contention for the Playoffs.
 #5985  by Affirm
 Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:21 pm
purplehorse wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:27 pm
If we play well we can beat Mercer. Will it be easy, no!

To hold them to 15 or less would certainly be more difficult.
Based on outcomes this season in conference, excepting today’s and last week’s anomalies, I’d say it will be difficult for us to hold them to 38. Can we outscore that?
 #5986  by The Jackal
 Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:29 pm
affirm wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:21 pm
purplehorse wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:27 pm
If we play well we can beat Mercer. Will it be easy, no!

To hold them to 15 or less would certainly be more difficult.
Based on outcomes this season in conference, excepting today’s and last week’s anomalies, I’d say it will be difficult for us to hold them to 38. Can we outscore that?
I mean, Citadel scored 17, UTC 10, Wofford 14, and VMI 13.

I think those are season lows for each of those teams except VMI, and that was the lowest point total for them against FCS competition.

Our defense is plenty stout enough to force a low scoring game.