• Mercer 11/12

#59589  by FU Hoopla
 Wed Nov 09, 2022 2:38 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:58 am
My way too generalized take:

1. Offensively, Furman is going to need to run the ball.

Mercer has the SoCon's third ranked run defense. Notably, the Bears have not played the SoCon's clear leader in rushing offense (Furman).

Furman should be the best FCS rushing offense Mercer has faced. I personally think Furman has the top offensive line in the conference. The Paladins' run game has shown up every week and, with a healthy Huff under center, can throw a lot at a defense.

When Furman is able to move the ball in chunks on the ground, the offense becomes tough to stop.

2. Defensively, keep the ball in front of us.

Mercer has the highest per catch average in the league. They are going to throw the ball down the field.

We all know that Furman has been susceptible this season to deep passes. You can bet the farm Mercer is going to try to exploit that. They've got a QB that can spin it and a couple receivers that can pick it.

Honestly, the abysmal defensive game against WCU might have been the best thing for us. Since that game, we've looked a lot stronger in pass defense. Teams will get their yards (they're trying too), but I don't think I've seen any wide open receivers the last few weeks or complete breakdowns in coverages. I think a lot of lessons were learned against the Catamounts.

While there has been some yardage surrendered, Furman has still been strong in pass defense this season. Lots of batted passes. Lots of interceptions. Good on third down. Good on completion percentage. So, throwing a bunch against us has been somewhat risky. You'll complete some passes, but an offense has to navigate a lot of rangy defenders with active hands that reduce some of the space on the field.
Get Jackal on the staff pronto!
 #59594  by The Jackal
 Wed Nov 09, 2022 2:49 pm
This is mostly me being bored looking for stuff to talk about.

Believe me, none of this would be surprising to our coaching staff. If it happens to be surprising to the coaching staff, we're in for a long afternoon Saturday.
FU Hoopla, AstroDin liked this
 #59598  by FUBeAR
 Wed Nov 09, 2022 6:21 pm
This is not FUBeAR’s work. This is from the Math Nerds at Sharp College Football. https://www.sharpcollegefootball.com/

FUBeAR can barely math at all and hardly understands what this is saying.

Seems to be saying that these Math Nerds are 91% confident that #1 Mercer would beat #25 Furman by ~18 points at a neutral site. So, add 3 since the game is in Macon and the projection is Mercer by 21. FUBeAR thinks if he could find action at FU +21, he just might rollover that $1.9B he picked up in PowerBall earlier this week. Thinking that might affect the spread a bit though. Anyway, fwiw, any Math Nerds here…enjoy digesting & deciphering this, um, array of data.

FU Hoopla liked this
 #59599  by FU Hoopla
 Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:07 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 6:21 pm
This is not FUBeAR’s work. This is from the Math Nerds at Sharp College Football.

FUBeAR can barely math at all and hardly understands what this is saying.

Seems to be saying that these Math Nerds are 91% confident that #1 Mercer would beat #25 Furman by ~18 points at a neutral site. So, add 3 since the game is in Macon and the projection is Mercer by 21. FUBeAR thinks if he could find action at FU +21, he just might rollover that $1.9B he picked up in PowerBall earlier this week. Thinking that might affect the spread a bit though. Anyway, fwiw, any Math Nerds here…enjoy digesting & deciphering this, um, array of data.

#59621  by QCGlue
 Thu Nov 10, 2022 10:12 am
I have 3 GA visitor side tickets for Mercer game that we can't use. My husband has the flu and bronchitis. I paid $10 each plus fees, but will give them to anybody who will go and yell loudly!. I can email them to you. 864-884-1812
Last edited by QCGlue on Fri Nov 11, 2022 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #59624  by FUBeAR
 Thu Nov 10, 2022 10:37 am
QCGlue wrote:
I have 3 GA visitor side tickets for Mercer game that we can't use. My husband has the flu and bronchitis. I paid $10 each plus fees, but will sell for just $10 each. I can email them to you. 864-884-1812
Y’know, President Franklin Roosevelt used to visit part of Georgia that is not too far west of Macon for therapy for his illnesses. Maybe a trip to Macon would be a healing journey for your husband.

Just kidding - hope he recovers soon.

If you can’t sell them, Mercer MIGHT be willing to take them back and refund you some of your money (maybe less fees)…or maybe the Furman peeps organizing the bus trip would buy them.

Listed on Mercer’s Athletics Staff Directory on the website is this gentleman…

MARKETING & PROMOTIONS
Davis Durden Director of Ticket Sales (478) 301-5217 durden_dm@mercer.edu

Perhaps, Mr. Durden would be understanding and helpful. Maybe not, but worth a shot vs. the tickets being unused and you out the $30+ for no benefit.
 #59627  by The Jackal
 Thu Nov 10, 2022 10:57 am
FUBeAR wrote:
QCGlue wrote:
I have 3 GA visitor side tickets for Mercer game that we can't use. My husband has the flu and bronchitis. I paid $10 each plus fees, but will sell for just $10 each. I can email them to you. 864-884-1812
Y’know, President Franklin Roosevelt used to visit part of Georgia that is not too far west of Macon for therapy for his illnesses. Maybe a trip to Macon would be a healing journey for your husband.

If you can’t sell them, Mercer MIGHT be willing to take them back and refund you some of your money (maybe less fees)…or maybe the Furman peeps organizing the bus trip would buy them.

MARKETING & PROMOTIONS

Perhaps, Mr. Durden would be understanding and helpful. Maybe not, but worth a shot vs. the tickets being unused and you out the $30+ for no benefit.
Should you be in the area, some of the best hiking in the State of Georgia is not far.

My grandmother was from the tiny hamlet of Warm Springs. Her brother used to push the president in his wheel chair.
 #59629  by stonemd
 Thu Nov 10, 2022 11:11 am
Unfortunately the bus trip didn’t have enough takers and is off.
 #59631  by FUBeAR
 Thu Nov 10, 2022 11:16 am
stonemd wrote:
Thu Nov 10, 2022 11:11 am
Unfortunately the bus trip didn’t have enough takers and is off.
 #59635  by Furmanoid
 Thu Nov 10, 2022 11:32 am
The Jackal wrote:
Thu Nov 10, 2022 10:57 am
FUBeAR wrote:
QCGlue wrote:

MARKETING & PROMOTIONS

Should you be in the area, some of the best hiking in the State of Georgia is not far.

My grandmother was from the tiny hamlet of Warm Springs. Her brother used to push the president in his wheel chair.
The little White House at Warm Springs is worth a visit.
 #59643  by Flagman
 Thu Nov 10, 2022 6:27 pm
"The little White House at Warm Springs is worth a visit."

Just have time for football. Go Paladins!
 #59644  by Sad Din
 Thu Nov 10, 2022 7:24 pm
SD seconds that. LIttle White House is very interesting stop
 #59647  by FUBeAR
 Thu Nov 10, 2022 9:09 pm
That is a well-written article.
apaladin, dornb, AstroDin liked this