• Mercer 11/12

#59391  by FUBeAR
 Mon Nov 07, 2022 11:43 am
The Jackal wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 10:21 am
I had a nice long write up about Mercer's defense.

Then my computer reset.
HATE that…You get a nice piece typed up, go to another tab to check a stat and the whole thing disappears!!

I’ve started trying to remember to Copy to clipboard before I ‘leave,’ but if I’m trying to bring over a link or some data I want to copy/paste, that doesn’t work. On AGS, when I preview, it locks it in…so I don’t lose it and the reply function has an AutoSave & Restore feature turned on. Oh well…could always compose in Notes and copy to here. #MessageBoardProbs

If you get motivated to redo that post, FUBeAR will look forward to reading it.
 #59395  by The Jackal
 Mon Nov 07, 2022 12:19 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 11:43 am
The Jackal wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 10:21 am
I had a nice long write up about Mercer's defense.

Then my computer reset.
HATE that…You get a nice piece typed up, go to another tab to check a stat and the whole thing disappears!!

I’ve started trying to remember to Copy to clipboard before I ‘leave,’ but if I’m trying to bring over a link or some data I want to copy/paste, that doesn’t work. On AGS, when I preview, it locks it in…so I don’t lose it and the reply function has an AutoSave & Restore feature turned on. Oh well…could always compose in Notes and copy to here. #MessageBoardProbs

If you get motivated to redo that post, FUBeAR will look forward to reading it.
30,000 foot view.

Mercer technically lists itself as a "multiple" defense. Watching them, though, they look like a base 4-2-5, which is not super common in SoCon football.

They look to be essentially a one gap - read/react scheme. The six man box tries to fill every gap and spill everything to their two strong safeties (which I think they call ROVER and BANDIT).

Furman needs to be ready for the aggressive downhill attack. Mercer's defensive front is quick and they come up the field hard.

However, the Paladins may create some matchup issues for the Bears defensive front.

1. RPO - one response to the 4-2-5 set is the RPO (a response to the defense's response to the spread, if you will). With linebackers reading and reacting quickly to fill gaps, there can be space left behind for the play action game. Furman is one of the SoCon's better RPO teams.

The attacking defense really limits a teams ability to really throw slower developing downfield plays. Furman doesn't do much of that however. A lot of the Paladin passing game has the ball out quick.

2. TE mismatches. A six man box is going to leave some space in the middle and allows an offense to exploit a mismatch with the TE. Furman, of course, has a really good TE and likes to throw the ball to the middle of the field.

3. QB run. Expect Furman to use formations to anticipate Mercer's defensive alignment and then use Huff as a runner backside with either a pulling OG or RB as a kick out.

4. Bully Ball. UTC had some pretty solid success with their running backs against Mercer's defensive front, with a lot of yards coming after contact. With gap assignments, the scheme is susceptible to bigger plays in the run game if the back can get through that first wave of defenders (there's not many guys left at the second level).

Mercer's defense wants to be quick and aggressive. It doesn't surprise me after noting the DC has a Citadel pedigree. Furman might be able to counteract that some by playing a little bully ball and using their two big backs to pound the defensive interior and force Mercer to drop their third safety into the box.

It's going to be a war inside the tackles, though.
FUBeAR, MNORM, Rokawaylifer liked this
 #59501  by FUBeAR
 Tue Nov 08, 2022 10:08 am
If you’re visiting Macon this coming weekend, FUBeAR wholeheartedly suggests finding time to work in a visit to Capricorn Studios & Museum (https://capricorn.mercer.edu/museum/) if you are a fan of Southern Rock music. And, grabbing a meal at H&H Soul Food Restaurant (https://www.handhsoulfood.com/) is also a real treat. The Midnight Rider is FUBeAR’s go to order.

Sad news for H&H and Allman Brothers fans today reminded FUBeAR to suggest y’all visit both of these icons, but, assuming they don’t shut down for funeral services, etc., patronizing the H&H would be a nice tribute to Mama Louise.
AstroDin liked this
 #59517  by The Jackal
 Tue Nov 08, 2022 10:56 am
Sad to hear. She was a local icon.

I've taken several of my best naps after lunch at H&H.
FUBeAR liked this
 #59529  by palafan
 Tue Nov 08, 2022 3:35 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
If you’re visiting Macon this coming weekend, FUBeAR wholeheartedly suggests finding time to work in a visit to Capricorn Studios & Museum (https://capricorn.mercer.edu/museum/) if you are a fan of Southern Rock music. And, grabbing a meal at H&H Soul Food Restaurant (https://www.handhsoulfood.com/) is also a real treat. The Midnight Rider is FUBeAR’s go to order.

Sad news for H&H and Allman Brothers fans today reminded FUBeAR to suggest y’all visit both of these icons, but, assuming they don’t shut down for funeral services, etc., patronizing the H&H would be a nice tribute to Mama Louise.
Ate there often when I was in law school. Give the Bear's Den a try too.
 #59530  by FUBeAR
 Tue Nov 08, 2022 3:56 pm
palafan wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 3:35 pm
FUBeAR wrote:

Ate there often when I was in law school. Give the Bear's Den a try too.
Have to get there on Friday if you wanna get the Meat & 3 at The Bear’s Den. Not open on the weekends.
 #59534  by bj93
 Tue Nov 08, 2022 4:15 pm
We've scored over 27 points once against D1 opponents this year. Have a feeling we will need more than 27 to win Sat.
 #59537  by FUwolfpacker
 Tue Nov 08, 2022 4:23 pm
bj93 wrote:
We've scored over 27 points once against D1 opponents this year. Have a feeling we will need more than 27 to win Sat.
Twice (WCU and VMI). Unless you don't count VMI as D1...which could be a fair take this year.

Possibly. Defense has only given up more than 20 points twice this year against FCS teams.
 #59547  by FUBeAR
 Tue Nov 08, 2022 6:38 pm
Should be a FUN-FILLED day. Get there early - you don’t want to miss Dillon Carmichael!!

Last edited by FUBeAR on Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
FU Hoopla liked this
 #59551  by FU Hoopla
 Tue Nov 08, 2022 7:21 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 6:38 pm
Should be a FUN-FILLED day. Get there early - you don’t want to miss Dillon Carmichael!!

Can't wait!
 #59562  by The Jackal
 Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:06 pm
FUwolfpacker wrote:
bj93 wrote:
Twice (WCU and VMI). Unless you don't count VMI as D1...which could be a fair take this year.

Possibly. Defense has only given up more than 20 points twice this year against FCS teams.

Honestly, other than about 8 minutes of the Samford game and a quarter against WCU, we've played pretty good football.
FUBeAR, FU Hoopla liked this
 #59572  by FU Hoopla
 Wed Nov 09, 2022 12:31 am
The Jackal wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:06 pm
FUwolfpacker wrote:
bj93 wrote:

Honestly, other than about 8 minutes of the Samford game and a quarter against WCU, we've played pretty good football.
Second toughest game of the regular season this Saturday
bj93 liked this
 #59575  by The Jackal
 Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:58 am
My way too generalized take:

1. Offensively, Furman is going to need to run the ball.

Mercer has the SoCon's third ranked run defense. Notably, the Bears have not played the SoCon's clear leader in rushing offense (Furman).

Furman should be the best FCS rushing offense Mercer has faced. I personally think Furman has the top offensive line in the conference. The Paladins' run game has shown up every week and, with a healthy Huff under center, can throw a lot at a defense.

When Furman is able to move the ball in chunks on the ground, the offense becomes tough to stop.

2. Defensively, keep the ball in front of us.

Mercer has the highest per catch average in the league. They are going to throw the ball down the field.

We all know that Furman has been susceptible this season to deep passes. You can bet the farm Mercer is going to try to exploit that. They've got a QB that can spin it and a couple receivers that can pick it.

Honestly, the abysmal defensive game against WCU might have been the best thing for us. Since that game, we've looked a lot stronger in pass defense. Teams will get their yards (they're trying too), but I don't think I've seen any wide open receivers the last few weeks or complete breakdowns in coverages. I think a lot of lessons were learned against the Catamounts.

While there has been some yardage surrendered, Furman has still been strong in pass defense this season. Lots of batted passes. Lots of interceptions. Good on third down. Good on completion percentage. So, throwing a bunch against us has been somewhat risky. You'll complete some passes, but an offense has to navigate a lot of rangy defenders with active hands that reduce some of the space on the field.
din23, FU Hoopla liked this