• NGU @ Furman Nov. 7th (Frank Selvy Appreciation Night)

#59068  by Davemeister
 Mon Oct 31, 2022 1:31 pm
FU Hoopla wrote:
Mon Oct 31, 2022 11:48 am
Davemeister wrote:
Mon Oct 31, 2022 11:43 am
In order to be The Man you have to BE The Man.

No one can "pick" us or declare us SoCon Champs. Our guys have to go out and TAKE it - starting November 5.

Go 'Dins!
Nov. 7
Thanks for correcting my typo. But if we start on Nov. 5, we're sure to be ready by Nov. 7!
FU Hoopla liked this
 #59189  by Affirm
 Wed Nov 02, 2022 7:24 pm
Roundball wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 6:46 pm
affirm wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 5:31 pm
Is the NGU game considered an "exhibition game" on Furman's schedule?
It is a “real” game for us and an exhibition game for NGU. But, I don’t think the win will count in the NET rankings.
Thanks.
How important are the NET rankings to getting in to NCAA Tourney as at-large and to NCAA Tourney seeding whether as AQ team or as at-large team? Would a D-1 opponent instead of D-2 NGU have more impact on Furman’s NCAA Tourney fortunes? I think the answer is “duh, yes; but insignificant”. Is it actually insignificant?
SC Gamecocks women played D-2 Benedict Monday in what is called an “exhibition game” (123-32 win). Who, and/or what, decides what is an exhibition and what is a “regular game”?
Last edited by Affirm on Wed Nov 02, 2022 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #59194  by FU Hoopla
 Wed Nov 02, 2022 8:57 pm
affirm wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 8:43 pm
FU Hoopla wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 7:34 pm
Yep real game

Could YOU please kindly answer ALSO my additional question that I added when editing my post immediately above? Serious questions. Really want to know.

Bob Richey said on a podcast he would rather have D2 games at home as oppose to low and middle of pack DI games on the road.

He says those type DI games don't help at all in NET if you win and destroy you if you happen to lose.

He said D2 at home gives fans more home games and D2 games don't count or hurt you at all in the NET rankings in regards to bringing your strength of schedule down.

I am sure we would rather have more DI home games, but the truth is those just are not easy for us to get due to finances and also with nobody wanting to play us.

We count the game, but the D2 schools started a few years ago saying these are exhibitions for them for the sole purpose of not having to count the loss in the record, even when the game occurs in the middle of the season, its a weak ass move if you ask me, no respect to the D2 schools from me for doing this.
 #59199  by Affirm
 Thu Nov 03, 2022 7:46 am
FU Hoopla wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 8:57 pm
affirm wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 8:43 pm
FU Hoopla wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 7:34 pm
Yep real game

Could YOU please kindly answer ALSO my additional question that I added when editing my post immediately above? Serious questions. Really want to know.

Bob Richey said on a podcast he would rather have D2 games at home as oppose to low and middle of pack DI games on the road.

He says those type DI games don't help at all in NET if you win and destroy you if you happen to lose.

He said D2 at home gives fans more home games and D2 games don't count or hurt you at all in the NET rankings in regards to bringing your strength of schedule down.

I am sure we would rather have more DI home games, but the truth is those just are not easy for us to get due to finances and also with nobody wanting to play us.

We count the game, but the D2 schools started a few years ago saying these are exhibitions for them for the sole purpose of not having to count the loss in the record, even when the game occurs in the middle of the season, its a weak ass move if you ask me, no respect to the D2 schools from me for doing this.
Truly appreciate the response/commentary.
Just happened to notice that the SC Gamecocks men last night played D-2 Mars Hill in an "exhibition game" (80-41 or some such score).
Thanks for your explanation.
 #59202  by apaladin
 Thu Nov 03, 2022 9:28 am
The NET is the NCAA’s tool used to determine at-large bids so yes it is very important. It is also used to determine bids to the NIT. We used to play exhibition games, ones that peeps could attend but did not count, but now have opted for the private scrimmages. Playing low rated D1 teams in the NET certainly hurts your NET, so you need to win by a large margin, D2 games do not count,
Affirm liked this
 #59205  by FU Hoopla
 Thu Nov 03, 2022 9:36 am
apaladin wrote:
The NET is the NCAA’s tool used to determine at-large bids so yes it is very important. It is also used to determine bids to the NIT. We used to play exhibition games, ones that peeps could attend but did not count, but now have opted for the private scrimmages. Playing low rated D1 teams in the NET certainly hurts your NET, so you need to win by a large margin, D2 games do not count,
Indeed, gets us some wins at home on record without hurting our strength of schedule on the ratings
 #59226  by Affirm
 Thu Nov 03, 2022 6:26 pm
FU Hoopla wrote:
Thu Nov 03, 2022 9:36 am
apaladin wrote:
Indeed, gets us some wins at home on record without hurting our strength of schedule on the ratings
Good info. Thanks to apaladin and to FU Hoopla
FU Hoopla, furpop16 liked this