• Mercer 11/12

#59126  by The Jackal
 Tue Nov 01, 2022 10:04 am
saltyshaker wrote:
Mon Oct 31, 2022 1:14 pm
i think we can go to macon and beat mercer.i do not think they can stop our offense now that our qb has been allowed to resume designed running plays after a couple weeks of trying to protect an injured elbow.

I don't envy Mercer's coaches popping in that UTC film.

The Bears are a strong team, but they aren't necessarily going to be as stout on the defensive interior as UTC was. I expect Mercer is going to have to commit more bodies to Furman's running game.

One thing we haven't really seen is all of the passing wrinkles off the QB run game. Just some examples:

This can put a ton of pressure on a defense.

1. Defend Roberto and Abrams inside run.

2. Defend Huff on designed QB keepers.

3. Defend the RPO where if your linebacker steps up against 1 or 2, Harris, Dean, and Miller are going to get the ball in space.

4. Defend the play action pass off the the QB run action, which Furman hasn't shown much yet but I'd be shocked if it isn't in the playbook.

5. Defend Miller, who is big enough to block your linebackers but fast enough that he'll run right by you when you stop to take him on.
 #59128  by apaladin
 Tue Nov 01, 2022 10:27 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 7:57 am
FU Hoopla wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 6:18 am
Mercer is leading the SoCon in attendance average this season
With 11/12 being Mercer’s Homecoming, with this game being the biggest/most important Home game in the history of the (rebirthed) program, and with many Mercer fans ID’ing Furman as the Bears’ primary SoCon rival, FUBeAR believes there will be a large crowd. Also, Georgia is at MissState with a 6 PM kickoff, so that’s helpful. FUBeAR has heard that the Bears’ leaders are looking to break the single game attendance record of 12,172 set in the 1st game ‘back’ in 2013.

Hoping for a lot of that crowd to be wearing Purple!

If you haven’t been to a game at Mercer, this is one you should put on your calendar. Here’s an excellent, very detailed, and recent write-up of the game day experience at Five Star Stadium. It’s worth the read … https://stadiumjourney.com/stadiums/mer ... dium-s1721

Also, if you’re into country-ish / Southern music, the pre-game live concert on the intramural field (Black Field) adjacent to the stadium is usually quite good. The 2 ‘headliners’ on 11/12 are Dillon Carmichael and Jupiter Coyote https://www.jcmerch.com/
FUBear, capacity is listed as 10,200. Do you know if they count the grass banks like WC does? I’m pretty sure the 10,200 is actual seats, correct? Seems it would be hard to break their attendance record just because of the physical limitations. Correct me if I am wrong but this could be MU’s first playoff appearance?
 #59133  by Bootie
 Tue Nov 01, 2022 11:29 am
The Jackal wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 10:04 am
saltyshaker wrote:
Mon Oct 31, 2022 1:14 pm
i think we can go to macon and beat mercer.i do not think they can stop our offense now that our qb has been allowed to resume designed running plays after a couple weeks of trying to protect an injured elbow.

I don't envy Mercer's coaches popping in that UTC film.

The Bears are a strong team, but they aren't necessarily going to be as stout on the defensive interior as UTC was. I expect Mercer is going to have to commit more bodies to Furman's running game.

One thing we haven't really seen is all of the passing wrinkles off the QB run game. Just some examples:

This can put a ton of pressure on a defense.

1. Defend Roberto and Abrams inside run.

2. Defend Huff on designed QB keepers.

3. Defend the RPO where if your linebacker steps up against 1 or 2, Harris, Dean, and Miller are going to get the ball in space.

4. Defend the play action pass off the the QB run action, which Furman hasn't shown much yet but I'd be shocked if it isn't in the playbook.

5. Defend Miller, who is big enough to block your linebackers but fast enough that he'll run right by you when you stop to take him on.
I told my brother after the UTC game that these kinds of plays are exactly the things I would have ready for Mercer. They will be all geared up to contain Huff on a supposed designed run, and then… surprise!! FU TD.
 #59135  by FUBeAR
 Tue Nov 01, 2022 11:55 am
apaladin wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 10:27 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 7:57 am
FU Hoopla wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 6:18 am
Mercer is leading the SoCon in attendance average this season
With 11/12 being Mercer’s Homecoming, with this game being the biggest/most important Home game in the history of the (rebirthed) program, and with many Mercer fans ID’ing Furman as the Bears’ primary SoCon rival, FUBeAR believes there will be a large crowd. Also, Georgia is at MissState with a 6 PM kickoff, so that’s helpful. FUBeAR has heard that the Bears’ leaders are looking to break the single game attendance record of 12,172 set in the 1st game ‘back’ in 2013.

Hoping for a lot of that crowd to be wearing Purple!

If you haven’t been to a game at Mercer, this is one you should put on your calendar. Here’s an excellent, very detailed, and recent write-up of the game day experience at Five Star Stadium. It’s worth the read … https://stadiumjourney.com/stadiums/mer ... dium-s1721

Also, if you’re into country-ish / Southern music, the pre-game live concert on the intramural field (Black Field) adjacent to the stadium is usually quite good. The 2 ‘headliners’ on 11/12 are Dillon Carmichael and Jupiter Coyote https://www.jcmerch.com/
FUBear, capacity is listed as 10,200. Do you know if they count the grass banks like WC does? I’m pretty sure the 10,200 is actual seats, correct? Seems it would be hard to break their attendance record just because of the physical limitations. Correct me if I am wrong but this could be MU’s first playoff appearance?
Not sure, but believe the 10,200 is seats only.

Not sure why it would be “hard to break the attendance record just because of the physical limitations.” There is space all around the field for Berm Seating and SRO with good sightlines…for thousands. The only limitations would be the ability to get people to come and the Bibb County Fire Marshall telling them to stop selling tickets. Was there for the 12k game. Felt like there was room for several thousand more.

Mercer has never made the FCS Playoffs.
 #59136  by The Jackal
 Tue Nov 01, 2022 11:57 am
It's one thing to try to stop a QB that can run. It's another thing to stop a QB that will run. In some respects, that adds an element of defensive prep similar to defending an option team. Huff just showed everyone on film that he might be faster than anyone you've got on defense.

I really can't get over how much I like this play. I've watched it several dozen times by now (send help).

In my view, this is Furman coaches playing chess while UTC is playing checkers. I doubt UTC's coaches had even seen this on film.

I can't tell you what UTC is reading here, but I speculate that the ILB sees "read option." The end man on the line (EMOL) is not blocked, and the play is running away from him.

UTC looks to be playing a scrape/exchange - a typical way to defend against the read option. The EMOL feathers down the line and the ILB replaces him to the outside.

Furman anticipates that. Gissinger pulls around the backside and gives a slight fake as if to block the EMOL, but forces him inside. He then tuns up and blocks the ILB. The Safety moves up to fill "the lane" outside. If this play runs outside of Gissinger, it goes nowhere.

Also, look at Johanning at LG. The entire OL zone blocks to the right, and Johanning's man gets handled by Anderson at LT (Anderson blocks their DT halfway to Berea).

What does Johanning do? He comes free and turns back outside. My guess is he's looking for that safety or any white jersey coming that direction. He and Gissinger are setting up an alley for Huff to run through. Notably, that's where Shiflett is heading too - trying to set up a wall at three levels.

Huff waits on Gissinger's block and accelerates. Touchdown.

I see stuff like this and just get really excited about the future of our offense under Coach Roper. He anticipated what UTC was going to do. He gave them a look that appeared to be one of our base plays, and knowing how they were likely to defend it, used their aggressiveness simply to run them out of position.
dornb liked this
 #59138  by FUBeAR
 Tue Nov 01, 2022 12:22 pm
Calm down.

Just a very well-executed Zone-Read with an Arc block by the TE…took scraping LB, instead of Safety because he showed as 1st threat.

All very good by FU. Here’s how Chatt’s D screwed up though..

DE turned his pads toward RB, which Huff read and smartly kept the ball. DE blocked himself or we could say was blocked by the ball fake.

Scraping LB…not sure he was supposed to scrape, but when he did, he was soft and got himself blocked without putting up much of a fight

Both Safeties are HORRIBLE - Taking bad angles - Huff’s acceleration and speed probably has a lot to do with that and their tackling was worse than their angles.

Both CB’s got there late … one was being blocked and the other ‘run off.’…may not have been able to do anything, but with no hustle and hand tackling, they ensured that outcome. They probably just didn’t want any of #6. (#24 & #5 sure didn’t).

Nothing wrong with the Coaching (scheming) here, but it’s really more that the young men in black & purple on this play out-executed and out-hustled the young men wearing white. Better Players playing better.
furpop16, bj93 liked this
 #59157  by gofurman
 Tue Nov 01, 2022 11:50 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Mon Oct 31, 2022 10:12 am
I actually really like this razzle dazzle from UTC.

These are gutsy calls deep in the playbook. Once Furman's defense read the flea flicker, the defensive backs dropped deep. Usually these sorts of passes are downfield throws.

UTC sets up the screen nicely. They've got all five linemen in front of the back. Chizik stays incredibly disciplined to stay in his zone. QB puts a little too much air under the ball and allows Chizik to break on what was a pretty long throw.

Best is the reaction of Coach Wright, who was standing right next to where he thought the play was going to be made.
yeah this play was spectacular in two regards. Rarely have I (if ever) seen a screen set so perfectly that FIVE OL have a total of one man to block. Its usually much more even numbers or 4 on 3 what have you. There is no denyine that UTC completely fooled our DC / defense. That is without a doubt one of the best play calls I have ever seen. Not even sure I have seen any flea flickers for a screen - as Jackal said, they almost always go deep after a flea flicker and that was part of the 'double deception' here - to not go deep despite the flea flicker. Quite the play call.

The clear - and great for FU !! - other spectacular part was the play by Chizik. If not for his beating the block and staying home (the only guy within 15 yards) that UTC guy WALKS into the endzone behind his entire OL

That was a crazy play. THanks to Chizik
 #59161  by FUBeAR
 Wed Nov 02, 2022 8:35 am
Paul C wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 7:08 am
Take the over
SCORING OFFENSE G TD FG XPT 2XP DXP Saf Points Avg/G
1. Mercer 9 49 7 48 0 0 0 363 40.3
5. Furman 9 34 13 32 0 0 0 275 30.6

SCORING DEFENSE G TD FG XPT 2XP DXP Saf Points Avg/G
2. Mercer 9 20 10 20 0 0 0 170 18.9
3. Furman 9 22 7 20 0 0 1 175 19.4

FUBeAR’s Over/Under Number GUESS = 55

What you think Paul C?
 #59168  by FUBeAR
 Wed Nov 02, 2022 1:10 pm
Paul C wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 12:01 pm
Still going Over, huh?

2 strong Defenses though…and this late in the year, weather could come into play.

Gonna have to ponder on that one. After FUBeAR wins PowerBall tonight, it won’t really matter
 #59169  by gofurman
 Wed Nov 02, 2022 1:59 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 1:10 pm
Paul C wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 12:01 pm
Still going Over, huh?

2 strong Defenses though…and this late in the year, weather could come into play.

Gonna have to ponder on that one. After FUBeAR wins PowerBall tonight, it won’t really matter
hoep you do - then Mercer and Furman would be very well funded !!! Or I could win it, just sayin

I don't know of over .. 33-27 would go under the theoretical 61.5.. I mean Mercer has shut down Western (6 points!!) and the ETSU Mercer score was high but ETSU is scoring a lot these days? wacky stuff
 #59212  by FUBeAR
 Thu Nov 03, 2022 12:20 pm
 #59219  by fupaladin01
 Thu Nov 03, 2022 3:29 pm
Why are we using the coaches poll for our advertisement? Is it any more official than the STATS FCS poll? #12 vs #13 looks like a more exciting matchup to the casual observer...
FUBeAR liked this