• Chattanooga 10/29 - Homecoming

#58938  by purplehorse
 Sat Oct 29, 2022 9:39 pm
Good teams finds ways to win. Bad teams find ways to lose. We found a way to win today.

Yes I was shocked when UTC down 24-20 maybe with about 7 mins left and 4th and 1 at the 7, attempted a FG which we blocked. Get 1 yard and the overwhelming odds were they end up scoring to go up 27-24.

We were fortunate. Hopefully we improve over the next two weeks and beat Mercer-and then prepare for a greatly improved Wofford team. We are a winning team when Tyler Huff is two dimensional.

GO PALADINS!
din23, QCGlue liked this
 #58940  by AllTimeFU
 Sat Oct 29, 2022 9:47 pm
FurmanFan23 wrote:
Sat Oct 29, 2022 9:33 pm
Any news on Roberto? How did he get injured? Any other injuries?
Roberto came off when he was stacked up and then drove into the ground by about 6 UTC guys around mid-field. Looked like it was his shoulder. It looked like the trainers took his helmet. He was doing some stretching exercises on his shoulders. On one of the final drives it looked like he had convinced the trainer he was good enough and had his helmet on and ready to go in if needed.
AstroDin, dornb, FUBeAR liked this
 #58941  by FurmanFan23
 Sat Oct 29, 2022 9:57 pm
Thanks for the update. It makes me feel a whole lot better knowing his status. We need Roberto to be healthy especially against Mercer!!!
 #58942  by The Jackal
 Sat Oct 29, 2022 10:07 pm
purplehorse wrote:
Sat Oct 29, 2022 9:39 pm
Good teams finds ways to win. Bad teams find ways to lose. We found a way to win today.

Yes I was shocked when UTC down 24-20 maybe with about 7 mins left and 4th and 1 at the 7, attempted a FG which we blocked. Get 1 yard and the overwhelming odds were they end up scoring to go up 27-24.

We were fortunate. Hopefully we improve over the next two weeks and beat Mercer-and then prepare for a greatly improved Wofford team. We are a winning team when Tyler Huff is two dimensional.

GO PALADINS!
Not sure there was fortune to it.

UTC was kicking the field goal because their coaching staff didn't like their odds of getting that yard.

The Mocs had been getting stacked up in the run game all afternoon. The one thing UTC's offense was having success doing - intermediate routes over the middle - aren't going to work on that part of the field.

My guess is they felt better about getting within 1 point with 7 minutes left and then letting their defense hold and getting the ball back.
 #58943  by The Jackal
 Sat Oct 29, 2022 10:11 pm
AllTimeFU wrote:
Sat Oct 29, 2022 9:47 pm
FurmanFan23 wrote:
Sat Oct 29, 2022 9:33 pm
Any news on Roberto? How did he get injured? Any other injuries?
Roberto came off when he was stacked up and then drove into the ground by about 6 UTC guys around mid-field. Looked like it was his shoulder. It looked like the trainers took his helmet. He was doing some stretching exercises on his shoulders. On one of the final drives it looked like he had convinced the trainer he was good enough and had his helmet on and ready to go in if needed.
And he gets an off week.

Nice that Furman could turn to Grant Robinson to get some key carries.
AstroDin liked this
 #58952  by FUwolfpacker
 Sat Oct 29, 2022 11:43 pm
Several guys quietly had pretty good days.

-Cally Chizik had 7 tackles, 1.5 TFLs, and a huge pass break up on the 4th down play late. Edit: I had forgotten it originally but him making the tackle on the UTC screen play where they had FIVE blockers with nothing but green grass in front of them and somehow forgot to block Chizik was another huge play. That was probably going to be a TD.
-Jack Barton only had 2 tackles, but he had 2 balls batted down at the line of scrimmage and blew up his guy to get the blocked FG.
-Kam Brinson only had 5 tackles but it felt like he was around the ball a lot. His tackle on UTCs last drive of the first half was absolutely beautiful. I know it feels weird to say with some of our issues in pass defense this year, but I feel like Brinson (and Ryan) have had pretty solid years.
-Kyndel Dean had 4 catches for 47 yards including that huge one on 3rd down at the end of the game. Even though his block early on drew a blindside block penalty, I liked the tone it set for the day.
-The offensive line only gave up 1 sack and 3 TFLs to UTC's very good defense. And we took some shots down field so it's not like that was because we were only running quick curls and slants. The slot fade to Shifflet and seam route to Miller early were very close to hitting. They weren't perfect. UTC got there a few times but Huff got out of trouble. Still, another solid week for those guys I thought.
apaladin, AstroDin, Victor Greene and 5 others liked this
 #58953  by apaladin
 Sun Oct 30, 2022 1:54 am
Random thoughts:
Agree with all the above. Chizik may have had his best game but you can’t have a dead ball personal foul when you have them stopped.
As fans we always remember the complations given up but held UTC to under 50% completions. 17-35.
Don’t understand rushing 3 on 3rd and 14 for example.
With Huff being healthy again it sure seems to open up the offense and create some big plays that we have been lacking all season,
After we got the targeting call with 2plus to go in the third, hated the throw to the end zone on first down. Killed an opportunity to really take control. We kept the ball about 10 seconds after that call.
Overall the play calling was good. Glad we took the reins off Huff.
I really don’t like the new uniforms but whatever gets the team fired up.
I think the UTC fans may have doubled the Sammy crowd, 40 to 20.
9,724 was attendance which was disappointing, I’ve quit trying to figure out why people don’t show up. FU must have 30% no shows every game.
Had a friend call and say he and his neighbor wanted to come to the game but looked like the home side was sold out. I told him to just buy tickets on the visitors side and we could get together at halftime, My “sold out” section had plenty of seats and he spent the rest of the game with us.
Do a lot of peeps just buy tickets with no intention of showing up?
Let’s not even talk about the student attendance today,
A loss today would have been hard to get over. Now we have some time to relax. Playoffs are a real possibility now.
Congrats to the team and coaches, great effort today. Go ‘dins!
FUwolfpacker liked this
 #58954  by AstroDin
 Sun Oct 30, 2022 5:27 am
Clay mentioned in his pre-game interview with Dan that when the one of ones practiced this week, things got testier.

Based on Tyler Huff's interview post-game—the DINS felt like they had things to prove on the field.

I thought early on the blindside block was a bad sign—it turns out I feel it showed us an early indication of Furman's fiesty-aggressive play.

Furman played far from perfect but the DINS were the better team. Our depth and diversity shined Saturday.
FUwolfpacker, Victor Greene, gman84 and 2 others liked this
 #58957  by Bootie
 Sun Oct 30, 2022 8:26 am
I love this team. Huff is such a player and I love that he is getting his chance to shine. You can tell he is grateful for this opportunity and is making the most of it.

I was worried about this game, but now believe this team has the ability to meet whatever challenge it faces.
apaladin, Davemeister, QCGlue and 2 others liked this
 #58959  by The Jackal
 Sun Oct 30, 2022 8:40 am
AstroDin wrote:
Sun Oct 30, 2022 5:27 am
Clay mentioned in his pre-game interview with Dan that when the one of ones practiced this week, things got testier.

Based on Tyler Huff's interview post-game—the DINS felt like they had things to prove on the field.

I thought early on the blindside block was a bad sign—it turns out I feel it showed us an early indication of Furman's fiesty-aggressive play.

Furman played far from perfect but the DINS were the better team. Our depth and diversity shined Saturday.
Officiating thoughts. I know UTC fans didn't like them, but I thought the calls were mostly correct. I think they missed a pass interference on Robinson late in the game, but then made up for it on maybe the very next play down by the goal line.

1. I went back and reviewed the rules on blindside blocks. They are forcible contact made in the open field outside the players' field of vision, so Dean's hit probably qualifies. What was odd, though, is that Dean was running almost right at him (surprising he didn't see someone right in front of him). However, the better thing to do would have just been to get in his way.

2. The targeting call, in my opinion, was absolutely the correct call. The only thing I thought was odd was that targeting was not called on the field. I have to assume there was a flag thrown because they were reviewing the play, the referee just did not indicate that targeting was under review.

There are two species of targeting. One involves the "crown of the helmet" and the other involves hitting a defenseless player. This was the latter.

Harris had just attempted to receive a pass over the middle of the field. He was still in the act of catching. That is a definitionally defenseless player.

The UTC linebacker then moved up to make forcible contact with the head or neck area. Definitional targeting. What's odd is he didn't even have to hit him, the ball was already by Harris when he initiated contact.