• Today’s Attendance

#5805  by fufanatic
 Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:49 am
It's also the unfortunate reality that most people couldn't care less about any football outside of the NFL and the power 5 conferences. It's pretty rare for someone besides gamblers to be interested in even the Group of 5 teams in FBS. And getting someone who has that mentality to pay money to walk into our stadium and learn to enjoy a smaller brand of football with lesser known players and a minimal gameday experience is asking a lot. I grew up a Furman fan and didn't know anything different, but I'm sure I would have been the same way if I had been a Clemson, Georgia or UGA fan growing up.
 #5831  by QCGlue
 Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:50 pm
Flagman wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:34 pm
I dare say that there are fewer than 10 students currently enrolled at Furman who grew up being Furman fans. As has been noted, leadership of cheers can be enhanced. Our PA announcer isn’t very good at generating crowd enthusiasm. Bootie and his crew in section 8 who started the m
“Move those chains” cheers did a lot to help in this regard. We haven’t had a “mike” man with a microphone and powered speakers in 15-20 years. Not since President Smolla has the president led the FU 1 time cheer. We had a student attempt the cheer at the citadel game in Charleston. While the effort was noble, the execution was pathetic. Perhaps it was alcohol influenced. It has been mentioned on many occasions that CLP credit should be given for student attendance. It’s probably not going to happen because of faculty opposition, but isn’t football part of our culture. We also need to educate our incoming students about the traditions and heritage of Furman football. I like some of the ideas mentioned here. Maybe (but not likely) someone who can make these happen visits this forum.
In reference to the student leading the FU 1 time cheer in Charleston, he was a guy who married a Furman graduate. He was trying to learn the cheer, and yes, it was quite different! He was trying to get people to yell for the team, all in good fun.
I agree with several posts about getting people to the games. I tell everyone I know that you won't find a better, no-hassle tailgating and parking, good football game day experience. I am fortunate that I grew up in TR, went to Furman, then made my permanent home in Simpsonville. I've had season tickets for over 25 years, and I USE MY TICKETS! If all the Paladin Club season ticket holders would either use their tickets, or give them to somebody, we would have more cars in the parking lot, and more butts in the seats! Getting Greenville to support Furman athletics with the almighty Tigers down the road is indeed a hard road, and there is not an immediate fix. We need all the loyal fans to continue supporting our purple Paladins!
Flagman liked this
 #5832  by QCGlue
 Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:56 pm
cavedweller2 wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:15 pm
I had 4 extra tickets to the Wofford game. Home side 50 yard line. They were #4 in the country. Offered them free to multiple people. Had one taker for 1 ticket. The majority of folks I offered them to said they were headed downtown to Fall for Greenville that Saturday. Clemson was off that day and none of their fans I know that consistently attend their Saturday circus wanted them. I guess we don’t need to try to compete with Fall For Greenville.
The people who didn't take you up on the free tickets sure did miss a GREAT game!!
FUKA61, dornb liked this
 #5840  by FUpaladin08
 Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:12 pm
To offer a slight comparison even though it’s apples to oranges. The men’s basketball team has scheduled BJU and North Greenville recently in the beginning of the season. It acts as a great warm up to the season, a local contest, and a win. A longer basketball season affords this luxury, but this week’s win for the men’s team just made me think about this. I’m all for a tough schedule, but until we are nationally relevant again I’d take some wins since that what it takes to get in the top 25. If this means scheduling D2 like Newberry and North Greenville, that’s fine with me for the time being.
 #5841  by apaladin
 Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:45 pm
FUpaladin08 wrote:
To offer a slight comparison even though it’s apples to oranges. The men’s basketball team has scheduled BJU and North Greenville recently in the beginning of the season. It acts as a great warm up to the season, a local contest, and a win. A longer basketball season affords this luxury, but this week’s win for the men’s team just made me think about this. I’m all for a tough schedule, but until we are nationally relevant again I’d take some wins since that what it takes to get in the top 25. If this means scheduling D2 like Newberry and North Greenville, that’s fine with me for the time being.
Unfortunately wins against Newberry and NGU would mean nothing. May as well play one less game. We could maybe schedule a Davidson or some other so-called D1 team that would count.
sluggo liked this
 #5866  by FUpaladin08
 Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:18 pm
I don’t think it means nothing if we believe pollsters heavily favor a team’s Win/Loss record over diving into how easy or tough those Wins/Losses are. Maybe D2 isn’t viable, but my thinking has shifted to an easier schedule so we can get back in the top 25, and stay in the top 25. Then we can beef up the schedule to make the next step, stay in the top 10 and be competitive nationally. NGU just comes to mind as a local team to play that might bring more fans than a Davidson or GWU.
 #5871  by cavedweller2
 Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:03 pm
apaladin wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:38 am
gman wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:34 am
Out of curiosity, I checked North Greenville’s attendance figures. They are averaging 3,242 fans a game this year. Most high school games draw more that that.
A very few maybe but certainly not most.
How many fans would NGU bring to Paladin Stadium? If they are drawing 3200+ a game then they may bring a couple of thousand or more with them. They have had their successes at their level and their fans would want to show up to watch them "shock the world" so to speak. They would bring more than our SoCon brethren do.
FUKA61 liked this
 #5874  by Flagman
 Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:56 pm
They probably would, but the game would not count for us.
 #5875  by cavedweller2
 Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:02 pm
I know but this is a thread about attendance.
 #5877  by Flagman
 Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:08 pm
The question then becomes if Furman fans would come to watch a lesser division team. We can't pack our home side against Wofford.
sluggo liked this
 #5883  by gofurman
 Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:15 pm
apaladin wrote:
FUpaladin08 wrote:

Unfortunately wins against Newberry and NGU would mean nothing. May as well play one less game. We could maybe schedule a Davidson or some other so-called D1 team that would count.
As for making postseason...
don't go to D2. That doesn't count ... Rather go easier FCS like Gardner Webb, PC, or whomever- SC State?

Actually SC State appeals to me both from an FCS win AND attendance. SC State draws well !

Put it this way, I would take my chances that Furman would be an 80% to beat SC State. At least. And if we beat SC State this year I bet we could win out and be a 75% shot for playoffs
 #5889  by apaladin
 Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:20 am
cavedweller2 wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:02 pm
I know but this is a thread about attendance.
True but it's not worth a few more peeps in the stands to play a game that doesn't count. Just for example this year it looks like we may come up a game short for the playoffs with the cancellation of the Colgate game. If we had played a D2 team we would be in the same boat.
 #5890  by apaladin
 Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:24 am
gofurman wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:15 pm
apaladin wrote:
FUpaladin08 wrote:

As for making postseason...
don't go to D2. That doesn't count ... Rather go easier FCS like Gardner Webb, PC, or whomever- SC State?

Actually SC State appeals to me both from an FCS win AND attendance. SC State draws well !

Put it this way, I would take my chances that Furman would be an 80% to beat SC State. At least. And if we beat SC State this year I bet we could win out and be a 75% shot for playoffs
GF I think you are thinking of the SCS teams in the 80's and 90's. The last few times they have visited PS attendance has not been that good.(Not counting the hurricane game).
 #5891  by gman
 Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:58 am
I think bigger. To be the best we need to play the best. Forget weaklings like PC and GW. We need to play better teams like William & Mary, Richmond and Jacksonville State. Better yet, leave the weak SoCon and join the CAA. Hopefully, the NCAA will soon reclassify the divisions. I am hoping we can move up to the 2nd tier of teams.
 #5895  by The Jackal
 Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:01 pm
Flagman wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:08 pm
The question then becomes if Furman fans would come to watch a lesser division team. We can't pack our home side against Wofford.
I think some of the issue is "momentum," perceived or not.

We've started both of the last two seasons 0-3. 5 of those 6 losses were on the road to start the season. The only home game was Elon.

I think Furman loses a prime opportunity to capture some excitement at the early part of the season - school starting and bringing in a new crop of fans. Even the most stalwart fans can grow a little worn out with not winning a game until midseason.

I don't want to see us necessarily get back to playing PC/GWU every single season. I also don't think it would be a bad idea to actually go land some early season home games that we could book as a win. Get a little momentum. Generate a little excitement.