• Cause For Concern?

#58743  by Furmanoid
 Thu Oct 27, 2022 10:58 am
Guilty. Last year when the UFFP was predicting great improvement, I questioned the reasoning. And wow, we did improve from .640 all the way up to .647. And we won the SoCon! Oh wait, we didn’t.

And by the way, last year I said whether we improved or not was going to hinge on how the new DII guy worked out. Of course that was met with derision. Y’all said we didn’t need that guy.

And I did not expect Slawson to become a superstar. Honestly, who did.

So when we lost games last year, I wasn’t upset because I saw it coming. I thought our guys overachieved most of the time.

This year, even if we take a half step back in ability, I still expect to win the conference regular season. I don’t think we even need to improve.

The reason I want to move away from 3 point dependence is that the bid isn’t based on regular season. Gotta win the tournament. One bad shooting night and here we are again unless we have a plan B. What’s so crazy about that?
Davemeister, Affirm liked this
 #58746  by PaladinPower
 Thu Oct 27, 2022 11:57 am
Furmanoid wrote:
Thu Oct 27, 2022 10:58 am
Guilty. Last year when the UFFP was predicting great improvement, I questioned the reasoning. And wow, we did improve from .640 all the way up to .647. And we won the SoCon! Oh wait, we didn’t.

And by the way, last year I said whether we improved or not was going to hinge on how the new DII guy worked out. Of course that was met with derision. Y’all said we didn’t need that guy.

And I did not expect Slawson to become a superstar. Honestly, who did.

So when we lost games last year, I wasn’t upset because I saw it coming. I thought our guys overachieved most of the time.

This year, even if we take a half step back in ability, I still expect to win the conference regular season. I don’t think we even need to improve.

The reason I want to move away from 3 point dependence is that the bid isn’t based on regular season. Gotta win the tournament. One bad shooting night and here we are again unless we have a plan B. What’s so crazy about that?
"...it isn’t clear that we have replaced the shooters we lost. Odds are that we have not. But maybe, who knows."

Comments like this are what is crazy.

To your other point, the players and coaches did everything in their power TO win the Socon. Guys literally didn't miss a shot in OT.
 #58747  by Furmanoid
 Thu Oct 27, 2022 12:45 pm
What is crazy about that comment? Tell me, who of our new likely starters is coming in with a resume to match Hunter or Garrison’s résumé’s entering last season? You are sure we have two such guys. I don’t know who you mean. So who are they?

Sure we have guys who MAY turn out to be better than those two. I’m just saying they will not be easily replaced. You think they will be easily replaced. So I thought they were really good while you apparently didn’t. But I’m the negative one?
 #58799  by PaladinPower
 Thu Oct 27, 2022 5:33 pm
I’m not sure how you deciphered what I said (provided shooting percentages for our returning players) as AH or CG not being good players.
 #58800  by FU Hoopla
 Thu Oct 27, 2022 5:40 pm
Zero cause for concern actually, things have never looked brighter in Paladin hoops land!
apaladin liked this
 #58808  by youwouldno
 Thu Oct 27, 2022 8:07 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Thu Oct 27, 2022 12:45 pm
What is crazy about that comment? Tell me, who of our new likely starters is coming in with a resume to match Hunter or Garrison’s résumé’s entering last season? You are sure we have two such guys. I don’t know who you mean. So who are they?

Sure we have guys who MAY turn out to be better than those two. I’m just saying they will not be easily replaced. You think they will be easily replaced. So I thought they were really good while you apparently didn’t. But I’m the negative one?

The industry considers Furman to be a fairly difficult job even by mid-major standards. Yet BR has had Furman as one of the top mid majors in the country all six years he's been head coach.

It's not credible to suggest that, despite the obvious and inarguable fact that Richey is one of the best mid-major coaches in the country, he simply does not understand there is a super easy way to do even better, by not shooting as many threes.

The idea that you understand college basketball offense better than Bob Richey is a comically absurd notion. The fact you think that means that you are effectively delusional - no rational person in your position could think such a thing.

Making matters even worse is that Richey has taken the time on Dan's podcasts to explain his offense, why they take a significant number of threes, etc. In fact he provided great insights on that in one of the most recent podcasts.

Since apparently you are deaf in addition to delusional, here's the gist - to have an efficient offense, a team needs high-percentage 2 point shots. The way to get easy 2 point shots is to threaten the perimeter with shooters. Taking away the 3 would also take away the rest of Furman's offense - the offense that last year was 20th in the country in efficiency, at a school that should be 200th.

I'm going to stick with preferring Richey's offensive scheme over the uneducated and barely lucid ramblings of a random fan on the internet.
FurmAlum liked this
 #58809  by cavedweller2
 Thu Oct 27, 2022 8:22 pm
You would know.