• Cause For Concern?

#58698  by apaladin
 Wed Oct 26, 2022 11:22 am
As we all know 3 point shooting is a huge part of the offense. CBR said we shot 22% in the Saturday scrimmage against UNCA. Not a good start. Anyone know the score? Reading between the lines it sounds like we may have lost but it really doesn’t matter now. Very small sample size of course. I think 3 point shooting is the number one concern for this team.
 #58704  by Roundball
 Wed Oct 26, 2022 12:59 pm
apaladin wrote:
Wed Oct 26, 2022 11:22 am
As we all know 3 point shooting is a huge part of the offense. CBR said we shot 22% in the Saturday scrimmage against UNCA. Not a good start. Anyone know the score? Reading between the lines it sounds like we may have lost but it really doesn’t matter now. Very small sample size of course. I think 3 point shooting is the number one concern for this team.
Reading between the lines in the video highlights, I figured we beat them soundly. No, I am not concerned at all.
 #58706  by PaladinPower
 Wed Oct 26, 2022 1:51 pm
There were 3 made three's in the video highlight from the scrimmage. If those were the only 3, we shot 3/14, maybe 4/18. Not great, but the many easy 2's in the video make me think this team knows how to win when the shots don't fall.
 #58716  by cavedweller2
 Wed Oct 26, 2022 7:52 pm
I am frightened, perplexed and stunned even; But not concerned.
 #58717  by apaladin
 Wed Oct 26, 2022 7:53 pm
soconjohn wrote:
Wed Oct 26, 2022 6:20 pm
Does it matter if Furman won or lost? It's a scrimmage.
I said it doesn’t matter. Thanks RB for the video.
 #58720  by Paul C
 Wed Oct 26, 2022 9:27 pm
Well, we lost Alex and Conley and both were 40% shooters so I wouldn’t be surprised If our overall 3% dropped a bit. And Bothwell has gone through several 4-6 game shooting slumps.

But I’d say our game is based on defense and ball movement and cutting and if we are doing those well we can win a lot of games despite less than stellar shooting.
 #58721  by RaleighDin
 Wed Oct 26, 2022 10:26 pm
Agreed. Couple things I'm curious to see.

1) Do we ever play Hughey and Slaw together? Would seem to be our best rebounding front court and also the most physical.

2) Coach mentioned that Slaw is being hard on himself and is trying to expand his game. I just hope he doesn't forget what makes him great. Can't imagine the pressure of getting NBA workouts and potentially being SO close to having a shot at that dream. If he can play freely and be himself, I have no doubt he'll get his shot - the cream always rises!
apaladin, dornb, Affirm liked this
 #58728  by Furmanoid
 Thu Oct 27, 2022 7:23 am
Apaladin raises a good and very obvious point. Our offense has depended on good 3 point shooting, and it isn’t clear that we have replaced the shooters we lost. Odds are that we have not. But maybe, who knows.

Hopefully, if we don’t have good shooters we’ll recognize that early (like in a scrimmage) and tweak/overhaul the offense. I hope we build a team that will no longer be derailed by bad shooting nights.
 #58731  by PaladinPower
 Thu Oct 27, 2022 7:50 am
Furmanoid wrote:
Thu Oct 27, 2022 7:23 am
Apaladin raises a good and very obvious point. Our offense has depended on good 3 point shooting, and it isn’t clear that we have replaced the shooters we lost. Odds are that we have not. But maybe, who knows.

Hopefully, if we don’t have good shooters we’ll recognize that early (like in a scrimmage) and tweak/overhaul the offense. I hope we build a team that will no longer be derailed by bad shooting nights.
Vaguely remember Furmanoid being suspicious about replacing the offense before last season began. Seems like a common theme. Maybe just too focused on football season to really look at actual statistics (other than a 22% 3pt SCRIMMAGE). So a few things:

-Bothwell shot 36% from 3 and obviously looks to take a jump
-Joe Anderson shot 47%!!! from 3
-Pegues also shot 36% from 3 and will have more opportunities
-Jonny Lawrence is a 42% 3 point shooter
-Alex Williams shot 44% from 3 last season
-Marcus Foster shot 36% from 3 and looks to take a major jump
-Slawson will be shooting and making more

Odds are, we do have shooters. Just look at the numbers rather than spewing bad takes.
Roundball liked this
 #58732  by Roundball
 Thu Oct 27, 2022 8:02 am
We shot 38% from 3-point range last season. Almost half of our points came from those 3-point shots. We have plenty of weapons. In fact, almost every single player can get hot from outside. The usual UFFP suspect that is always negative needs to chill out. We will be just fine. Only 12 more nights until the season begins. This team believes. Let’s believe with them.
Last edited by Roundball on Thu Oct 27, 2022 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #58738  by MNORM
 Thu Oct 27, 2022 9:30 am
Plenty of threes were hit during the inner-squad scrimmage Tuesday night. Take a deep breath about UNCA...it was a pre-season scrimmage. We've also had REAL games where we didn't shoot well. It happens and will happen again. Undoubtedly, the usual suspects on the UFFP will chime in after the game to proclaim that we rely on the 3-pointer too much in our offense.

Keep an eye out for JP Pegues. I'm not sure what his exact role will be at the start of the season, but if he continues on the trajectory he's on he could be one of the most dynamic offensive players in the SoCon once conference play begins. And...the guy can shoot.