• Chattanooga 10/29 - Homecoming

#58671  by The Jackal
 Tue Oct 25, 2022 12:54 pm
soconjohn wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 12:02 pm
This is one going to be an outstanding football game...Chattanooga is the most talented team Furman has played since Clemson and is quite possibly the second best team on Furman’s schedule...Although, I’ll say the Top 4 are closer this year than most...Samford is getting more impressive as the season goes.

I'm still fairly convinced we haven't seen Furman's best football yet.

I think our best is better than their best.
AstroDin, fupaladin01, dornb and 1 others liked this
 #58674  by The Jackal
 Tue Oct 25, 2022 2:23 pm
I'm sure this will be highlighted in the week's notes, but Ryan Miller should be within 2 touchdowns of Chas Fox's program record of 26.

When the season started, I didn't think he'd have any real chance of hitting that mark. He's scored 8 this season with 3 regular season games left to play.

I'll also say that Coach Roper has been excellent in finding ways to get Miller open in the red zone. You know defenses have to be looking for him and still unable to find ways to cover him.

Also interesting is that Miller is averaging 10.5 ypc - the lowest average of his career. The last two seasons he was averaging around 17 ypc. So, he's scoring more touchdowns but not doing it with the benefit of many of the long catch-and-runs we're so used to seeing from him.
 #58683  by FUPlayer74
 Tue Oct 25, 2022 9:33 pm
If I am coaching the FU defense this week, we would working on tackling all week. Not sure you can do that anymore, but this team needs some work in that area to be successful against UTC. And while we're at it how about creating a little pass rush?
Affirm, dornb, apaladin liked this
 #58688  by FUBeAR
 Wed Oct 26, 2022 12:38 am
https://gomocs.com/news/2022/10/25/foo ... -test.aspx
GAME WEEK: Mocs Weekly Press Conference Focuses on Furman Test
Nick Cerimele [Center] joined Chattanooga Mocs Coach Rusty Wright and defensive back CaMiron Smith at this week’s press conference.
 #58690  by paladinfan12
 Wed Oct 26, 2022 8:35 am
I've watched Ford tear up the SoCon for years, and I'm ready for that guy to graduate. I hope Furman can keep him in check.

If Furman can do that I think they have a good chance of winning. Need to play 4 solid quarters and not give up a big play, but if UTC gets a a few 70 yard plays I fear it might be too much to come back from.

I'm a pessimist, but I'll take UTC 31-20. They've been a little more dominant overall than Furman has been this year. That 20-point win over Mercer last week was very impressive.
 #58693  by FUBeAR
 Wed Oct 26, 2022 9:32 am
paladinfan12 wrote:
Wed Oct 26, 2022 8:35 am
I've watched Ford tear up the SoCon for years, and I'm ready for that guy to graduate. I hope Furman can keep him in check.

If Furman can do that I think they have a good chance of winning. Need to play 4 solid quarters and not give up a big play, but if UTC gets a a few 70 yard plays I fear it might be too much to come back from.

I'm a pessimist, but I'll take UTC 31-20. They've been a little more dominant overall than Furman has been this year. That 20-point win over Mercer last week was very impressive.

It was an impressive win for Chatt…but…

1) Mercer shot their entire leg below the knee off in the 1st 2 minutes of the game

2) Playing from 2 scores behind when…
a) your passing game is heavily based around play action
b) you’re down 2 of your Top 4 RB’s…3 of 4 by the end of the game
c) their offense is a ball control O, relying heavily on their rushing attack
d) they have a very strong D, particularly the front 7, even more particularly known for their pass rush
…is REALLY, REALLY hard…but, even still, Mercer was moving the ball, nearing the red zone looking to make it a 1 score game (34-28) late in the 3rd quarter…when another fumble, on the play that cost them that 3rd RB…doomed that opportunity.

* Furman will need to keep it tight score-wise, ideally leading (of course), but never falling behind by 2 or more scores
* Furman will need to run the ball for no less than 3.5 ypa. Chatt’s D is holding Teams to 2.7.
* With the way the WR’s are blocking now and with some of the talent we have there now, some of that sideways (Samford-like) quick game may be very effective this week (as much as FUBeAR don’t like it)
* Will need to take some deep shots, if for no other reason than keeping their DB’s back…moving the pocket in order to ensure time for deep shots would be a good idea
* Gotta run some of that RPO-stuff hitting slants, digs…quick routes to keep their LB’s mindful of coverage also

* D will need to tackle & wrap up - arm-tackles and, surely, hand-tackles will not work. Neither will ‘block tackles’ work. Gotta Hit AND grab/hold body parts and/or cloth.
* Chatt’s O-Line, while good & improving, is still a little ‘green’ and not overly experienced at playing with each other. So…some creative blitz packages could be effective in getting some pressure of the QB. This guy is not last year’s Chatt QB. He is much better in many ways. Can’t make it easy on him by not pressuring him. Also - he’s a surprisingly elusive runner. Eyes up & wrap up with him when tackling. Ford will run over or through you. QB will wiggle a little, looking somewhat awkward while doing it, and leave you grabbing air.

Special Teams need to be perfect. Let them make the mistakes here. They’ve always been good for 1 or 2 ST gaffes / game in the past. They were perfect vs. Mercer…so they’re due.
AstroDin liked this
 #58694  by AstroDin
 Wed Oct 26, 2022 9:35 am
I'd bet Mercer would love another shot at the Mocs. That game got out of control fast with Mercer's turnovers.

I'd say we know more about what to expect from Chatty than we do Furman.
I think this game will be a four-quarter battle if Furman can keep up their game plan I like our chances.
 #58696  by Davemeister
 Wed Oct 26, 2022 10:04 am
"Cliff Notes" Keys to the Game:

1) Doesn't take a crystal ball to know that the Mocs are going to play Run-First on D and dare Furman to throw the ball. Tyler is going to have to throw it successfully AND make some plays with his feet to loosen things up.

2) Our D is going to have to TACKLE better than we have all season, otherwise Ford is going to have a HUGE day.

3) gofurman needs to be very, very, VERY skeered of Chattanooga.
AstroDin liked this
 #58697  by stonemd
 Wed Oct 26, 2022 11:06 am
I looked at stats vs our common opponents VMI and ETSU - very similar

FU rushing 78-435
UTC rushing 88- 417

FU passing 45/69 -430
UTC passing 37/54-531

FU rushing D 62-128
UTC rushing D 61-142

EXCEPT
FU passing D 47/93 -564
UTC passing D 23/42 - 248

https://static.soconsports.com/custompa ... nfonly.htm

This is reflected in overall conference only stats — opponents pass way more times against Furman (201) than UTC (96) but our pass efficiency defense is similar to UTC. Our special teams overall looks better.
 #58699  by apaladin
 Wed Oct 26, 2022 11:28 am
stonemd wrote:

FU rushing 78-435
UTC rushing 88- 417

FU passing 45/69 -430
UTC passing 37/54-531

FU rushing D 62-128
UTC rushing D 61-142

EXCEPT
FU passing D 47/93 -564

This is reflected in overall conference only stats — opponents pass way more times against Furman (201) than UTC (96) but our pass efficiency defense is similar to UTC. Our special teams overall looks better.
I fully expect the FU pass defense vs. UTC passing offense will be the difference.
 #58700  by The Jackal
 Wed Oct 26, 2022 11:41 am
stonemd wrote:

FU rushing 78-435
UTC rushing 88- 417

FU passing 45/69 -430
UTC passing 37/54-531

FU rushing D 62-128
UTC rushing D 61-142

EXCEPT
FU passing D 47/93 -564

I think some of it is the data within the data.

Furman's pass defense has not been stellar in terms of yardage. We've been bitten by big plays quite frequently.

However, we've done a good job in limiting completion percentage, have been pretty good on third downs, and have forced a lot of interceptions. Those all get baked into the cake.

VMI had a few long throws, but I felt like we had them covered all afternoon. Sometimes they make a good play.
 #58701  by The Jackal
 Wed Oct 26, 2022 11:44 am
Davemeister wrote:
Wed Oct 26, 2022 10:04 am
"Cliff Notes" Keys to the Game:

1) Doesn't take a crystal ball to know that the Mocs are going to play Run-First on D and dare Furman to throw the ball. Tyler is going to have to throw it successfully AND make some plays with his feet to loosen things up.

2) Our D is going to have to TACKLE better than we have all season, otherwise Ford is going to have a HUGE day.

3) gofurman needs to be very, very, VERY skeered of Chattanooga.

I think Roper is going to have to take the training wheels off for this one.

You can bet the farm that UTC is going to be laser focused on stopping Roberto and Abrams. They are going to plaster Ryan Miller.

Huff looked excellent against Clemson, another big active defense. He's going to have to run. He's gotta complete the passes they are giving us. Dean, Shiflett, and Anderson are going to need to come up big.
FUBeAR, AstroDin, apaladin and 2 others liked this
 #58702  by apaladin
 Wed Oct 26, 2022 12:05 pm
Update on tickets sales. They look very disappointing. Hardly any sales uptick this week. Looks like we will be lucky to get 60% of FuBears goal of 15k. 9-9500 if that for homecoming is bad. There is a 3% chance of rain so thats enough to keep some away! 🤣🤣I do know I will be there and can’t wait. Go ‘dins!
 #58703  by AllTimeFU
 Wed Oct 26, 2022 12:36 pm
Thanks for that message. I will be there as well. We need to support these guys in a big way. We have every right to win this championship. The games are in front of us and it starts on Saturday!
apaladin, dornb liked this
 #58707  by FUpaladin08
 Wed Oct 26, 2022 2:17 pm
apaladin wrote:
Wed Oct 26, 2022 11:28 am
stonemd wrote:

FU rushing 78-435
UTC rushing 88- 417

FU passing 45/69 -430
UTC passing 37/54-531

FU rushing D 62-128
UTC rushing D 61-142

EXCEPT
FU passing D 47/93 -564

I fully expect the FU pass defense vs. UTC passing offense will be the difference.
I actually think the opposite: Whose going to run closer to their average? Both defenses are great at stopping the run, so the team that is able to run more efficiently and not abandon that game plan should win.

Also turnovers. Hopefully Furman is past the mess of turnovers in the CSU/Samford games. Only clean game this year was NGU. Gonna need a very clean game or at least win turnovers.
apaladin, dornb liked this