• Chattanooga 10/29 - Homecoming

#58620  by The Jackal
 Mon Oct 24, 2022 1:58 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Mon Oct 24, 2022 12:44 pm
AstroDin wrote:
Mon Oct 24, 2022 12:33 pm
Our two-deep defensive line rotation is getting IMO more dominant as the season goes on.
Coleman-Sochovoka-Barton-Clark
Johnson-Stephens-Stainfield-Maier
Ford is a lot to handle—going to be a fun battle to watch.

FYI… X Stephens seems to be getting more comfortable within our defense and when he's in he's making plays.
His sideline-to-sideline speed is impressive.
Ford makes his living running over / breaking tackles of LB’s & DB’s. If he’s stacked up & wrapped up by the DL, he can be held in check. Though he has very good speed, he’s not Barry Sanders doing jump cuts and creating a hole. He’s the definition of a “downhill runner.”

That said, his full-speed acceleration into the hole and/or once he puts his foot in the ground on IZ or OZ/Stretch gives DLmen little time to get off the OL blocks. He’s patient enough (usually) as a RB, but when he goes…he really goes. Maintaining Gap control responsibilities will be critical and the DLmen keeping an arm & 1/2 their bodies free to include some real mass at the point of attack vs. him being 1-on-1 with LB’s/DB’s is a must-do…every play.
Ford is listed at 5'9 213. He's a bowling ball of a running back who can be real difficult to get down.

Seems like this is a good example:

Mercer gets plenty of shirts to the ball, just don't wrap him up. Furman cannot afford to miss tackles at the point of attack and give him second chance yards.

#58621  by The Jackal
 Mon Oct 24, 2022 2:05 pm
AstroDin wrote:
Our two-deep defensive line rotation is getting IMO more dominant as the season goes on.

FYI… X Stephens seems to be getting more comfortable within our defense and when he's in he's making plays.
Trying to think back, but Sochovka and Coleman are about as good a 1-2 tandem on the defensive interior as I can remember Furman having.

I think for Furman to win on Saturday, those big fellas in the middle are going to need to have a strong game. Find someone other than Ford to beat us.
AllTimeFU, FUBeAR, AstroDin liked this
 #58636  by apaladin
 Mon Oct 24, 2022 7:51 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Mon Oct 24, 2022 2:05 pm
AstroDin wrote:

Trying to think back, but Sochovka and Coleman are about as good a 1-2 tandem on the defensive interior as I can remember Furman having.

I think for Furman to win on Saturday, those big fellas in the middle are going to need to have a strong game. Find someone other than Ford to beat us.
Agree but we sub often and when those 2 are on the sidelines we seem to struggle more against the run.
 #58638  by gofurman
 Mon Oct 24, 2022 8:07 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Mon Oct 24, 2022 1:58 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Mon Oct 24, 2022 12:44 pm
AstroDin wrote:

Ford makes his living running over / breaking tackles of LB’s & DB’s. If he’s stacked up & wrapped up by the DL, he can be held in check. Though he has very good speed, he’s not Barry Sanders doing jump cuts and creating a hole. He’s the definition of a “downhill runner.”

That said, his full-speed acceleration into the hole and/or once he puts his foot in the ground on IZ or OZ/Stretch gives DLmen little time to get off the OL blocks. He’s patient enough (usually) as a RB, but when he goes…he really goes. Maintaining Gap control responsibilities will be critical and the DLmen keeping an arm & 1/2 their bodies free to include some real mass at the point of attack vs. him being 1-on-1 with LB’s/DB’s is a must-do…every play.
Ford is listed at 5'9 213. He's a bowling ball of a running back who can be real difficult to get down.

Seems like this is a good example:

Mercer gets plenty of shirts to the ball, just don't wrap him up. Furman cannot afford to miss tackles at the point of attack and give him second chance yards.

In my opinion Ford is the toughest back in the SoCon to bring down. I hope it IS NOT fun to watch. I want to be bored! Please win Furman. Win boring. I can’t take more stress

Honest question. When is the last ‘big game’ we won ? Not a underhanded comment . I am really asking. It would be Samford. But we missed there. Maybe VMI last November - ranked 20?? Weren’t they ranked? I guess I’m asking when is the last time we beat a top 15 type team?

We almost beat both Georgia State and VTech but not quite. We’ve had some decent wins over Chatt etc but I don’t think they were top 15?
 #58641  by apaladin
 Mon Oct 24, 2022 9:01 pm
Checking the FU ticket site, plenty of tickets left in sections 1, 5 and 6. Other sections too but nit as many. Weather is supposed to be good, partly cloudy to cloudy mid 60’s(subject to change). Hopefully sales will pick up this week. Don’t expect much help attendance wise from UTC. 3 to 400 prolly best case scenario. Hopefully ticket sales will pick up this week for the biggest late season game in PS in recent memory.
QCGlue liked this
 #58643  by AstroDin
 Mon Oct 24, 2022 10:04 pm
Agree but we sub often and when those 2 are on the sidelines we seem to struggle more against the run.
[/quote]

I know you've said this before—I don't see it that way.
Stephens in particular is a disruptor against the run and he's getting a lot of pressure on the quarterback.
I will agree these two lines do different things well. The second line has a lot more quickness.

That said this game will be interesting to watch the matchups.

The more I think about this matchup the more I'm leaning toward Gilby being a key to this Saturday.
Actually, all three linebackers are playing well—DiMaggio-Gilby-McCormick.
apaladin liked this
 #58647  by AllTimeFU
 Mon Oct 24, 2022 11:16 pm
I agree. The LB group is peaking at the right time. For that matter so is the OL, receivers, Huff, kickers and secondary. Firing in 7.7 cylinders. Reduce the penalties to 2 and we are on all 8!
AstroDin, dornb, QCGlue liked this
 #58656  by AstroDin
 Tue Oct 25, 2022 7:18 am
AllTimeFU wrote:
I agree. The LB group is peaking at the right time. For that matter so is the OL, receivers, Huff, kickers and secondary. Firing in 7.7 cylinders. Reduce the penalties to 2 and we are on all 8!
For the most part–Furman is getting little respect from our SoCon brothers posting on AGS. Not that they are great predictors. But their comments speak to IMO the disrespect Furman is getting. Ailym Ford is a great running back, but it's not like Furman hasn't faced quality backs this season. The consensus is that Furman can't handle the Moc's rushing attack.

If Furman can make this a four-quarter battle. I think that favors the DINS.

I also agree with Jackal. I think JR has some offensive wrinkles yet to play.
 #58658  by The Jackal
 Tue Oct 25, 2022 7:51 am
AstroDin wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 7:18 am
AllTimeFU wrote:
For the most part–Furman is getting little respect from our SoCon brothers posting on AGS. Not that they are great predictors. But their comments speak to IMO the disrespect Furman is getting. Ailym Ford is a great running back, but it's not like Furman hasn't faced quality backs this season. The consensus is that Furman can't handle the Moc's rushing attack.

If Furman can make this a four-quarter battle. I think that favors the DINS.

I also agree with Jackal. I think JR has some offensive wrinkles yet to play.

Seems like an equal question gets asked the other way.

Ford is an excellent back. Don't get me wrong.

Have the message board mavens realized that Dominic Roberto has 34 fewer rushing yards on 33 fewer carries than Ford? Roberto averages over a yard more per carry than Ford. Ford averages 7 more carries a game.

Roberto rushed for 253 two weeks ago. He rushed for 104 yards on eight carries Saturday. He basically didn't play in the second half.

I think maybe the better question is whether UTC can stop #8.
MNORM liked this
 #58662  by apaladin
 Tue Oct 25, 2022 9:11 am
Those AGS peeps are wrong. I think everyone on here is more worried about utc passing game than run game.
 #58664  by Purple rain
 Tue Oct 25, 2022 9:45 am
Emotion. I know our guys and crowd will be jacked! We have to play one of those most spirited Team effort games of the year. I think we will. If we get off to a good first quarter and set the tone, we will have a chance. Go Dins!
 #58668  by cavedweller2
 Tue Oct 25, 2022 11:09 am
Biggest game on Homecoming since the '04 Classic vs. Ga. Southern.
gman84, soconjohn, FUpaladin08 and 2 others liked this
 #58670  by soconjohn
 Tue Oct 25, 2022 12:02 pm
This is one going to be an outstanding football game...Chattanooga is the most talented team Furman has played since Clemson and is quite possibly the second best team on Furman’s schedule...Although, I’ll say the Top 4 are closer this year than most...Samford is getting more impressive as the season goes.
Purple rain, FUBeAR liked this