• VMI - 10/22

#58559  by The Jackal
 Sun Oct 23, 2022 5:02 pm
Victor Greene wrote:
Sun Oct 23, 2022 11:03 am
Here’s something to like about the VMI game:
5 touchdowns, and by 5 players. And don’t forget perfect on PATs and FGs.

Other than a couple missed xpts this year, our special teams has been the best I've seen out of Furman in a long time.
din23, dornb, Victor Greene and 1 others liked this
 #58583  by gofurman
 Sun Oct 23, 2022 11:53 pm
Davemeister wrote:
Sun Oct 23, 2022 10:04 am
saltyshaker wrote:
Sat Oct 22, 2022 4:51 pm
i would say to make playoffs ,we need to beat either chattanooga or mercer or both.

Both. An 8-3 record with one of our wins a DII game, we are "iffy".
I don't know and it doesn't matter what I think.. but I bet we are in if we win either of Chatt or Mercer AND Wofford. Y - it is exactly this that hurts with a D2 instead of some FCS that is bad.. this was the fear. Beat both and none of it matters. But honestly I think we are in if go 2-1 in last three. Because you are finishing the year with a top 10 or top 15 win.. I don't know where Mercer will land tomorrow but you get my point
 #58584  by FUBeAR
 Mon Oct 24, 2022 12:05 am
gofurman wrote:
Davemeister wrote:
saltyshaker wrote:
i would say to make playoffs ,we need to beat either chattanooga or mercer or both.

I don't know and it doesn't matter what I think.. but I bet we are in if we win either of Chatt or Mercer AND Wofford. Y - it is exactly this that hurts with a D2 instead of some FCS that is bad.. this was the fear. Beat both and none of it matters. But honestly I think we are in if go 2-1 in last three. Because you are finishing the year with a top 10 or top 15 win.. I don't know where Mercer will land tomorrow but you get my point
Not that it has much bearing on the polls, but Mercer only fell from #6 to #9 in Massey. Chatt moved up from #10 to #6. In Sagarin’s world, Mercer is ranked #8, ahead of Chatt (#10).
 #58585  by apaladin
 Mon Oct 24, 2022 2:34 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Mon Oct 24, 2022 12:05 am
gofurman wrote:
Davemeister wrote:
saltyshaker wrote:

Not that it has much bearing on the polls, but Mercer only fell from #6 to #9 in Massey. Chatt moved up from #10 to #6. In Sagarin’s world, Mercer is ranked #8, ahead of Chatt (#10).
Sagarin may need to recalculate. Just sayin!
 #58586  by apaladin
 Mon Oct 24, 2022 3:04 am
BTW- It was good to see Luke Shiflett score a td and to see him contributing this yesr. Seems like he has been here a long time and not played much due to injuries etc. BTW another transfer we forgot about when listing the others.
Davemeister, dornb, FUBeAR liked this
 #58589  by The Jackal
 Mon Oct 24, 2022 6:30 am
apaladin wrote:
BTW- It was good to see Luke Shiflett score a td and to see him contributing this yesr. Seems like he has been here a long time and not played much due to injuries etc. BTW another transfer we forgot about when listing the others.
Shiflett is one of those players that frequently doesn't light up the stat sheet, but he always seems to be involved in Furman's offensive success.

Frequently when you see a Furman running back break a big run, #12 is often the guy springing the runner on the edge.

Here:

and Here

Honestly, I don't know the first thing about WR blocking technique, but on that Thomas run you can see Shiflett blow the VMI CB backwards, block him, then moves him aside to block the safety. Not sure Thomas scores without both of those blocks.
hypercycloid liked this
 #58648  by gofurman
 Mon Oct 24, 2022 11:37 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Mon Oct 24, 2022 6:30 am
apaladin wrote:
Shiflett is one of those players that frequently doesn't light up the stat sheet, but he always seems to be involved in Furman's offensive success.

Frequently when you see a Furman running back break a big run, #12 is often the guy springing the runner on the edge.

Here:

and Here

Honestly, I don't know the first thing about WR blocking technique, but on that Thomas run you can see Shiflett blow the VMI CB backwards, block him, then moves him aside to block the safety. Not sure Thomas scores without both of those blocks.
Jackal, - thanks for pointing that out ! Kudos to Shiflett !