• SOCON WEEK 8

#58570  by apaladin
 Sun Oct 23, 2022 7:59 pm
soconjohn wrote:
Sun Oct 23, 2022 7:40 pm
If Furman beats Mercer or Chattanooga, I am not sure you could validate keeping them out with no bad loss and two ranked wins.
That would make a difference in any game. First 10 points came on turnovers but to UTC’s credit they did have 4 scoring drives between 68-80 yds. and another of 54. Defense CANNOT continue to give up big plays.
 #58573  by soconjohn
 Sun Oct 23, 2022 8:13 pm
Agreed...FU can’t give up big plays vs Mercer or UTC and win...but this time Furman has one of the best OLs in the FCS...you haven’t been able to say that the past couple of years when facing these two teams...FU also can’t have over 100 yds in penalties and win either game.
AstroDin, dornb, apaladin liked this
 #58574  by AstroDin
 Sun Oct 23, 2022 8:33 pm
soconjohn wrote:
Sun Oct 23, 2022 8:13 pm
Agreed...FU can’t give up big plays vs Mercer or UTC and win...but this time Furman has one of the best OLs in the FCS...you haven’t been able to say that the past couple of years when facing these two teams...FU also can’t have over 100 yds in penalties and win either game.
Great point SoConJohn

I feel like the play of our offensive line vs the Moc's defensive line is the matchup.
But there are several interesting matchups in this game.
More to unpack on that in another thread.
FUBeAR liked this
 #58576  by The Jackal
 Sun Oct 23, 2022 8:51 pm
Some interesting data points.

1. Offensive improvement.
  • 4th in the SoCon in scoring offense at 31.4 ppg
  • 3rd in total offense
  • Last season were were at 24.3 ppg and second to last, so big jump in production.
  • top rushing offense, and it's not even particularly close - most rushing TD, highest average, most yards, most yards per game
  • 2nd in first down per game
2. Defensive Improvement
  • 2nd in the SoCon in scoring defense at 19.4 ppg
  • 4th in total defense
  • lowest completion percentage allowed on pass plays
  • 2nd in Interceptions
  • 2nd in pass defense efficiency
  • 3rd in sacks
  • 1st in opp. 3rd down conversion percentage
  • 1st in take aways
3. Special Team Improvement
  • 1st in kickoff returns
  • 4th in punt return average
  • 3rd in kick coverage
  • 12 more touchbacks than the next highest team
AstroDin liked this
 #58582  by gofurman
 Sun Oct 23, 2022 11:49 pm
Paul C wrote:
Sun Oct 23, 2022 5:19 pm
gofurman wrote:
Sun Oct 23, 2022 1:04 am
Pointing out my own mistake. I was BIG WRONG in thinking Mercer would beat Chatt. Mercer took a wake up call today - Congrats Chatt.

Unfortunately I was hoping that Chatt was easier and we have then at home. I was fine beating Chatt and dropping Mercer on road. Make playoffs with ine win and beat Woff also …. Now I fear we have the best team at PS and the 2nd best on road. Will be very tough
Don’t make Chatt out to be unbeatable. Mercer turned it over SIX times to none for UTC.
Thanks - wasn't aware of that. I only watched our game
 #58588  by The Jackal
 Mon Oct 24, 2022 6:18 am
gofurman wrote:
Paul C wrote:
gofurman wrote:
Pointing out my own mistake. I was BIG WRONG in thinking Mercer would beat Chatt. Mercer took a wake up call today - Congrats Chatt.

Unfortunately I was hoping that Chatt was easier and we have then at home. I was fine beating Chatt and dropping Mercer on road. Make playoffs with ine win and beat Woff also …. Now I fear we have the best team at PS and the 2nd best on road. Will be very tough
Don’t make Chatt out to be unbeatable. Mercer turned it over SIX times to none for UTC.

On paper, Furman/UTC will be a good matchup. They are slightly better defensively. We're slightly better offensively. We have the edge in special teams play. The game is in Greenville.
 #58608  by Paul C
 Mon Oct 24, 2022 11:25 am
gofurman wrote:
Paul C wrote:
gofurman wrote:

Stats GF, STATS!!!
 #58618  by FUBeAR
 Mon Oct 24, 2022 1:41 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Sun Oct 23, 2022 11:29 am
Davemeister wrote:
Sun Oct 23, 2022 10:14 am
Next Saturday Paladin Stadium plays host to the biggest game its seen in quite some time when the highly-ranked Mocs of UT-C come to town for a game loaded with So-Con and Playoff implications.

Time for us to put on our Big-Boy pants and play some Big-Boy ball!
..and time for Furman & FU Athletics to continue & expand what they have been doing to put hindquarters in the bleachers.

Furman Football doesn’t need this to be a late-arriving or never-come-in-from-the-tailgate lolligagging and gabbing with old friends Homecoming crowd. So…don’t be that guy!

And they need a CROWD. What would it take to slam together a Furman-sponsored RA Day on Saturday?

Let’s go University Team - take up the mantle and get after it this week. FUBeAR’s attendance goal for y’all / us to hit is…

OK - FU & FU Athletics - FUBeAR is an idea man … so he’ll get you started…

It’s Family Weekend at Anderson University this weekend. They don’t have a Football Team @ Anderson … but they’re gonna. FU could graciously give those families and student a preview of what Family Weekend and game days will be like when Toe meets Leather for the Trojans in the years ahead. We ‘know a guy’ over there. Let’s round up some buses and bring ‘em all to TR for the afternoon. Our Treat! Whatever boring plans they may already have, surely they’ll scrap those for that kind of opportunity. 2500 kids over there - shoot, we could probably pick up 3k rabid Furman Fans (for a day) right there! Let’s get on it!!!

gman84 liked this
 #58640  by gofurman
 Mon Oct 24, 2022 8:20 pm
Paul C wrote:
Mon Oct 24, 2022 11:25 am
gofurman wrote:
Paul C wrote:
gofurman wrote:

Stats GF, STATS!!!

Well played. I resemble that !!!
 #58644  by gofurman
 Mon Oct 24, 2022 11:01 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Mon Oct 24, 2022 6:18 am
gofurman wrote:
Paul C wrote:
gofurman wrote:

On paper, Furman/UTC will be a good matchup. They are slightly better defensively. We're slightly better offensively. We have the edge in special teams play. The game is in Greenville.
I swear they always have a nasty defense. Usually anchored by some freakish (NFL looks at them even if they don't make it) DL. Davis Tull etc. UTC seems to get the best DL in the conference on an annual basis.

Fittingly here is this year:

2022 Preseason All-Southern Conference Football Teams
Defensive Player of the Year: Devonnsha Maxwell, Sr., DL, Chattanooga
or put another way:

First team defense
DL Jalen Porter, R-Jr., ETSU
DL Devonnsha Maxwell, Sr., Chattanooga
DL Jay Person, Jr., Chattanooga

They have 5 guys (!) on the all conference Defense (1st and 2nd team) .. we have 2 - Blackshear and Coleman