• VMI - 10/22

#58397  by FUBeAR
 Thu Oct 20, 2022 9:35 am
Though the Paladins have had their share of challenges in LexVegas, the BigRats just don’t have any bite this season. They will still chew and claw, so it, once again, won’t be easy for the PurpleExterminators, but the ‘Dins get it done, keeping their SoCon Championship & Post-season hopes alive for a big matchup with the Mocs in Greenville next Saturday…assuming Chattanooga shows up. They have a 2 year history of shutting down & quitting after they take a whippin’ from the Mercer Bears.

FINAL SCORE: Furman 31 - VMI 14
Purple rain, AstroDin liked this
 #58402  by apaladin
 Thu Oct 20, 2022 11:19 am
AllTimeFU wrote:
Wed Oct 19, 2022 8:55 am
apaladin wrote:
Wed Oct 19, 2022 2:30 am
Just throwing this out there but we were eliminated from the SoCon race this same weekend last year when we failed to finish vs. ETSU. Hoping we can at least keep hope alive one more week. 👍
Good historical note. Let's change the course! Take care of business and move to running on 8 cylinders!!
Yes and if we get a lead don’t go into a shell like we’ve done the last 2 games. Almost cost us the WC game. Keep the hammer down.
Davemeister, dornb liked this
 #58413  by The Jackal
 Thu Oct 20, 2022 1:58 pm
Games notes were up. Looks like everyone who is supposed to be on the two deep is still on the two deep. So, that's good news.
apaladin, dornb liked this
 #58415  by gofurman
 Thu Oct 20, 2022 2:49 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Games notes were up. Looks like everyone who is supposed to be on the two deep is still on the two deep. So, that's good news.
Good, no excuses for us. Man the lack of pass rush AND DB coverage was a Halloween nightmare of sorts last game. Have to have at least one of pass rush or DB coverage. Hopefully both. My gut says we will all feel better after this one - barring a return of the starting QB with guns a blazin'.. but don't really know much until we play UTC.

Still, would like to see us 1) win and 2) beat the snot out of someone! I think my "win boring" theory is gaining momentum ... lol. Too much excitement this year. This is the team to beat the snot out of if anyone is (of course I thought that about Charleston Southern too... shows what I know. But then our own players admitted they got off the bus assuming they had that game won. CANNOT DO THAT. Coaches can't allow that type of thinking. Yank someone out of game if it appears they are going through motions. Team should never think that.. but especially after WCU and CSU - should be easy for coaches to impress upon the team that you step on the throat .. and never let up !!!

**Anyone know who is starting at QB for VMI?
apaladin liked this
 #58416  by FUBeAR
 Thu Oct 20, 2022 3:42 pm
gofurman wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
Anyone know who is starting at QB for VMI?
So…you’re sure it’s NOT Kelly Raber?
 #58417  by The Jackal
 Thu Oct 20, 2022 3:54 pm
gofurman wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
Good, no excuses for us. Man the lack of pass rush AND DB coverage was a Halloween nightmare of sorts last game. Have to have at least one of pass rush or DB coverage. Hopefully both. My gut says we will all feel better after this one - barring a return of the starting QB with guns a blazin'.. but don't really know much until we play UTC.

Still, would like to see us 1) win and 2) beat the snot out of someone! I think my "win boring" theory is gaining momentum ... lol. Too much excitement this year. This is the team to beat the snot out of if anyone is (of course I thought that about Charleston Southern too... shows what I know. But then our own players admitted they got off the bus assuming they had that game won. CANNOT DO THAT. Coaches can't allow that type of thinking. Yank someone out of game if it appears they are going through motions. Team should never think that.. but especially after WCU and CSU - should be easy for coaches to impress upon the team that you step on the throat .. and never let up !!!

**Anyone know who is starting at QB for VMI?

I liked that Coach Hendrix said the WCU film would be a good one for our players to learn from.

I believe him when he says a lot of the issues from Saturday are fixable. Nothing WCU was doing was exotic, we just were not executing on defense. It was a bad day on that side of the ball, but no one is more aware of that than the coaches and players.

The good news is that we had one of those "games you learn from" and still managed to win. Those don't come around every day.
 #58418  by The Jackal
 Thu Oct 20, 2022 4:06 pm
According to VMI game notes: https://vmikeydets.com/documents/2022/1 ... mbined.pdf

Collin Shannon gets the starting nod at QB. The other two guys (Morgan and Ironside) aren't listed on the depth chart.

Statistically, they are the SoCon's worst defense. Like WCU, they are going to be smallish up front and will give up a lot of size and height to our offensive line.

As we know, they are going to be well coached and play four tough quarters of football.

Offensively, they've struggled. They don't run the ball well at all. They throw it a bit better, but not sure how it works with the freshman QB.
 #58427  by Affirm
 Thu Oct 20, 2022 8:35 pm
AllTimeFU wrote:
Thu Oct 20, 2022 5:10 pm
We need a game where the offense gets tired of scoring! Go Dins!
That could describe last Saturday's game.
apaladin liked this
 #58430  by FurmAlum
 Thu Oct 20, 2022 9:13 pm
My prediction:

Offense dominates and Defense rebounds from bad WCU performance.

FU 42 VMI 13.
AstroDin liked this
 #58434  by gofurman
 Thu Oct 20, 2022 11:12 pm
just basic notes: / most of you probably know all this. I know VMI is bad but wasn't sure of much more..

So on cursory glance VMI prefers one of Morgan or Ironside to be at QB (interchangeable as 1/2?) but lately has been forced (injuris?) to use Shannon (Freshman) or Hagan(Fr)... Most likely go with Shannon if the two starters aren't available.

Morgan and Ironside seemed to be in competition from the early game box scores. So with two 'starting QBs I would suspect one would be healthy and both have started. So no big dropoff that I can tell unless both are out as they were vs UTC

** EDIT - per Jackal's note it at least appears (game notes can change) that "Collin Shannon gets the starting nod at QB. The other two guys (Morgan and Ironside) aren't listed on the depth chart." Thank you Jackal

-------------------------------
It doesn't appear VMI can run well at all. They ran for 28 attempts vs that porous WCU run defense.. and got a total of 77 yards. So we should be able to make them one dimensional.

They also dont score well.. Using WCU as a common team VMI lost 17-38 and we won 47-40. So we both gave up too many points (similar amount) but we scored a lot more and ran the ball far better. I use the WCU game first because it is a recent one for us and it is one they had both QBs available.

Without the starting QBs they really should be a pass-only team with a freshman QB in his second game. Not to be mean, but there really is no excuse for losing this game. Good teams win this one. I suspect we will - just not enough going on for VMI right now. The key is do we step on their throat and CRUSH THEM or just dilly dally around. Talent wise no reason for this to be close. UTC just played this team with this QB and won easily in a cruise 41-13. We have no reason to be looking ahead. Focus. Win... Show that we can win one in a demoralizing fashion.

Chatt just beat them with 600 yards vs 150 !! wow. No excuses. Discounting the QB (sacks etc) VMI ran 17 attmpts for 34 yards vs UTC. Clearly UTC DL was just too much for em. I HOPE we can use this game to put them away and work on improving some items like 'no big plays allowed by D (esp pass)' etc etc
In short I agree with this quote from Jackal "Offensively, they've struggled. They don't run the ball well at all. They throw it a bit better, but not sure how it works with the freshman QB."

GoFurman
 #58437  by apaladin
 Fri Oct 21, 2022 12:15 am
One scary thing is their freshman qb completed 75% of his passes against arguably the SoCon’s best defense. 15-20 for 150+ yds. That’s 10 yds per completion. With a game under his belt, a weeks practice, he should get better and at this point FU looks like easy pickings.
 #58444  by AllTimeFU
 Fri Oct 21, 2022 8:15 am
They won’t run the ball well and we’ll pressure the heck out of the QB. 4 sacks.
apaladin liked this
 #58448  by Davemeister
 Fri Oct 21, 2022 10:44 am
gofurman wrote:
Thu Oct 20, 2022 11:12 pm
Not to be mean, but there really is no excuse for losing this game.

Yes, yes, and yes!
apaladin liked this