• SOCON WEEK 7

#57962  by apaladin
 Thu Oct 13, 2022 1:33 am
CITADEL AT WOFFORD -RAT DOGS BREAK THE LOSING STREAK AND GET THEIR FIRST WIN IN A LONG TIME

VMI AT CHATTANOOGA -UTC IN AN EASY ONE

WCU AT FURMAN -PALADNS WIN A SQUEAKER

ETSU AT MERCER -BEARS WIN BUT IT WON’T BE EASY
 #58078  by MidlandsPaladin
 Sat Oct 15, 2022 4:08 pm
Rat dogs putting it on the bellhops. 31-7 in 4th. I think they have quit on Thompson. Wonder if he makes it through the week. He went back to their original starter at QB even though their freshman had a good game against us last week.
 #58082  by gofurman
 Sat Oct 15, 2022 4:30 pm
MidlandsPaladin wrote:
Sat Oct 15, 2022 4:08 pm
Rat dogs putting it on the bellhops. 31-7 in 4th. I think they have quit on Thompson. Wonder if he makes it through the week. He went back to their original starter at QB even though their freshman had a good game against us last week.
look, no fear but I think Woff may be better with each week... we play them last. 17 consecutive losses - then an Azz kicking of Citadel ? I mean CItadel is not good on O, but they have a decent defense. Man, either they are quitting or Woff is getting a little better. Truth probably somewhere in middle. I suspect Woff players weren't keen on Conklin.
 #58107  by apaladin
 Sat Oct 15, 2022 6:14 pm
WC won as I predicted. Citadel is just a bad fb team.
 #58108  by cavedweller2
 Sat Oct 15, 2022 6:18 pm
Coaching was obviously an issue at wofford,
QCGlue liked this
 #58109  by gofurman
 Sat Oct 15, 2022 7:10 pm
cavedweller2 wrote:
Sat Oct 15, 2022 6:18 pm
Coaching was obviously an issue at wofford,
Cavedweller2, Agreed. Look, Citadel is bad. BAD. (isnt that awesome !) But after 17 consecutive losses (? I think 16 or 17) with Conklin and one loss with new guy only having 2 days - not fair at all to him.. they WIN.

It's Citadel but any win is something for them right now. I think there was a lot of turmoil with Conklin at the helm there - that was the word on the street anyway
 #58110  by gofurman
 Sat Oct 15, 2022 7:12 pm
please ETSU... put a loss on Mercer. 33-38 Mercer in lead in quarter 4.
 #58119  by FUBeAR
 Sat Oct 15, 2022 9:24 pm
gofurman wrote:
You missed the memo - Furman fans should have been pulling for Chatt & Mercer today…and then be pulling for both of them to win (if possible) when they play each other next week…then for FU to beat them both while they are highly ranked.
 #58123  by apaladin
 Sat Oct 15, 2022 10:29 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
gofurman wrote:
You missed the memo - Furman fans should have been pulling for Chatt & Mercer today…and then be pulling for both of them to win (if possible) when they play each other next week…then for FU to beat them both while they are highly ranked.
FUBear is absolutely correct. We play both Mercer UTC and can take care of business with each. Not likely but we at least have a chsnce. We blew our chance vs, Samford so that is who we need to hope loses, not UTC and MU.
 #58130  by gofurman
 Sun Oct 16, 2022 12:41 am
apaladin wrote:
Sat Oct 15, 2022 10:29 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
gofurman wrote:
FUBear is absolutely correct. We play both Mercer UTC and can take care of business with each. Not likely but we at least have a chsnce. We blew our chance vs, Samford so that is who we need to hope loses, not UTC and MU.
I know.. I was thinking in terms of winning the conference outright. We would then want all of top teams to lose two or three times. And we stay at one or two losses. The more the top teams lose the more we can lose and still get an auto bid. But we wouldn’t get a good ranking unless Mercer and Chatt are highly thought of. So I certainly get your point.
 #58142  by AstroDin
 Sun Oct 16, 2022 11:15 am
There are a lot of big games left to play in the SoCon for the top four teams.
A highlight on the biggest matchups IMO.

10/22
Mercer @ Chatty
Samford @ ETSU

10/29
Chatty @ FU
Samford @ The Citadel

11/5
Mercer/FU - BYE Week
Chatty @ The Citadel

11/12
Furman @ Mercer
Samford @Chatty

11/19
Mercer @ Samford
Chatty @ WCU

Interesting matchups. It would not surprise me if Western doesn't lose a game the rest of the way and takes down Chatty on Senior Day in the Wee.
 #58143  by apaladin
 Sun Oct 16, 2022 11:42 am
Astro- you said “big” games so why is any game invlolving the Citadel a “big” game. Those should be in the cakewalk category. You said WCU over Chatty, so a team that couldn’t score on Sammy and Mercer is suddenly going to score a lot and beat the team with the best defense just because they ran all over FU yesterday. Prolly not. FU’s pass defense can’t cover me, lol. Would hope WC at FU would be a big one but understand we most likely will be out of it by then.
 #58152  by AstroDin
 Sun Oct 16, 2022 2:48 pm
apaladin wrote:
Astro- you said “big” games so why is any game invlolving the Citadel a “big” game. Those should be in the cakewalk category. You said WCU over Chatty, so a team that couldn’t score on Sammy and Mercer is suddenly going to score a lot and beat the team with the best defense just because they ran all over FU yesterday. Prolly not. FU’s pass defense can’t cover me, lol. Would hope WC at FU would be a big one but understand we most likely will be out of it by then.
I noted… IMO!

I think Samford or Chatty could stub a toe in Charleston. I know they didn't show up against Woffy- Something tells me not to write off those games as easy wins for either team. The Citadel can make a game ugly.

I disagree with you on Western. That is a classic trap game for Chatty, and Western will play them at home.

I don't expect us to be out of when we close the regular season against Wofford. I haven't seen anything from Chatty that doesn't make me believe we can't beat them in a couple of weeks. I focused on the matchups the top four teams have. At this point, the Wofford game in Greenville is not the matchup game that concerns me.
 #58163  by The Jackal
 Sun Oct 16, 2022 7:41 pm
AstroDin wrote:
Sun Oct 16, 2022 2:48 pm
apaladin wrote:
I noted… IMO!

I think Samford or Chatty could stub a toe in Charleston. I know they didn't show up against Woffy- Something tells me not to write off those games as easy wins for either team. The Citadel can make a game ugly.

I disagree with you on Western. That is a classic trap game for Chatty, and Western will play them at home.

I don't expect us to be out of when we close the regular season against Wofford. I haven't seen anything from Chatty that doesn't make me believe we can't beat them in a couple of weeks. I focused on the matchups the top four teams have. At this point, the Wofford game in Greenville is not the matchup game that concerns me.

UTC's back half of their schedule is going to be tough: Mercer, Furman, Citadel, Samford, WCU.
AstroDin liked this
 #58165  by apaladin
 Sun Oct 16, 2022 9:40 pm
apaladin wrote:
Thu Oct 13, 2022 1:33 am
CITADEL AT WOFFORD -RAT DOGS BREAK THE LOSING STREAK AND GET THEIR FIRST WIN IN A LONG TIME

VMI AT CHATTANOOGA -UTC IN AN EASY ONE

WCU AT FURMAN -PALADNS WIN A SQUEAKER

ETSU AT MERCER -BEARS WIN BUT IT WON’T BE EASY
Pat myself on the back. I was pretty much spot on with these predictions. :D
Davemeister liked this