• Furman v Western Carolina Game Thread

#58138  by The Cats
 Sun Oct 16, 2022 7:39 am
AstroDin wrote:
Sun Oct 16, 2022 7:20 am
apaladin wrote:
Sun Oct 16, 2022 2:52 am
We got lit up by a freshman QB playing in his 6th college game. 12-16, 259 yds, 2 tds averaged 20+ yds completion all in less than a half. Bad news VMI is down to its 3rd QB so better watch out.
Let's give Gonzales some credit - doesn't matter what class you are in when you can throw dimes like he did. You don't hit two deep passes like that with luck.

Gilby's hit on Davis, which knocked him wobbly ended up being the source of life for Western's offense. I would start Gonzales over Davis based on what I saw. A few other things to consider; Western has a ton of weapons at receiver the most speed I've seen in a long time.
Most WCU fans have come to that same conclusion, Davis just throws too many picks. While Gonzales is good, there is another freshman QB that lots of WCU fans think is even better, but not getting an opportunity to play for some reason. Western has 4 talented freshman QBs in addition to Davis, and I expect to see at least a couple of them in the portal after the season, as talented QBs will not stay without playing time.
While I disagree with several calls made by the officials, congrats on the win and good luck the remainder of the season. We (the SoCon) needs several teams to make at-large bids this season....
AstroDin, dornb, QCGlue liked this
 #58140  by AstroDin
 Sun Oct 16, 2022 10:59 am
I know we all, as a fan, look at how a call goes against US.
I think the only call that I felt was iffy against WCU was the TD catch.
I was at the game and didn't get a good look, but I listened to the radio broadcast.
Dan Scott—who IMO is our guy but fair, commented after watching the replay his foot was on the line.
Who knows?

Clay wanted a review on the IMO terrible spot on Furman's 4th down in the 4th quarter. That was also a biggie. Clay felt the call on Coleman on the blocked EP was a first in his career.

Final thoughts after watching the post-game. Furman didn't expect Davis to run the ball like he did, thought it was due to him being injured. Caught Furman flat-footed.
 #58156  by Flagman
 Sun Oct 16, 2022 4:07 pm
MidlandsPaladin wrote:
Sun Oct 16, 2022 12:03 pm
saltyshaker wrote:
Sun Oct 16, 2022 11:09 am
so does anybody have the full story on jace?
Any chance of a redshirt? I don’t think he has played in four games…
I heard that he red-shirted himself. Prolly a wise decision on his part. He has a bright future with us.
 #58158  by apaladin
 Sun Oct 16, 2022 4:14 pm
I did not realize WCU set a recod for yards but I knew it was close. You just don’t see FU get torched like that very often. Man it was just a pitiful performance. You can understand a team completing passes but across the field 40 yds downfield and FU had no one within 10 yds when it was caught. I am being very very optimistic in sayng we finish 7-4 or 6-5.
 #58159  by apaladin
 Sun Oct 16, 2022 4:17 pm
Flagman wrote:
MidlandsPaladin wrote:
saltyshaker wrote:
I heard that he red-shirted himself. Prolly a wise decision on his part. He has a bright future with us.
I would like to see Carson Jones take a few snaps but if he does and we tie his hands then there’s no point.
 #58160  by MidlandsPaladin
 Sun Oct 16, 2022 4:24 pm
Flagman wrote:
MidlandsPaladin wrote:
saltyshaker wrote:
As long it is done with the intention of him sticking around. I hope he isn’t saving himself for another team.
din23 liked this
 #58161  by cavedweller2
 Sun Oct 16, 2022 6:24 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Sat Oct 15, 2022 11:39 pm
cavedweller2 wrote:
Sat Oct 15, 2022 9:29 pm
Folks. We won. Giving up 40 but we won. Tennessee gave up 49 and won.
Are you suggesting Furman Fans should have torn down our own goalposts after the game today?
No. Western ain’t worth throwing the goalposts in the lake. Even though I witnessed the ‘83 incident I still feel this way.
FUBeAR, QCGlue liked this
 #58162  by The Jackal
 Sun Oct 16, 2022 7:36 pm
Back home and some time to digest the game a bit.

Offense

It's hard to complain about 426 rushing yards. WCU for most of the game wanted nothing to do with Dominic Roberto. The offensive line was blowing their group off the ball over and over again. Outstanding effort by that group.

We can't turn the ball over like that in the fourth quarter. Watching the replay, the Roberto run had blocking, and we missed a guy. Block that guy, and he may have run for another TD.

The passing game was not eye-popping, but efficient. 3 touchdowns on 7 completions. Huff again used his legs to pick needed first downs at various points.

I thought the flow of the game sort of put our play calling in a difficult spot. We got uber-conservative in the 4th quarter, but it was hard to fault that considering how well we were running the ball. I felt at times we had them set up to really try and take a shot, it was just hard to deviate from a run game that was both successful and draining the clock.

Defense

This was not a banner day for the defensive unit. They seemed ill-prepared for WCU was going to do on offense. We didn't pressure the QB, didn't tackle well, didn't cover the pass well, didn't do much anything well.

I do think some of the long TD plays this season have been the product of a high press style of football our defense wants to play. Perhaps we are asking too much of our CBs. We lead the nation in turnovers, and to some degree, that aggressive style is going to leave you exposed at certain points.

I don't know if it was execution, play calling, or we were just getting greedy or what, but we absolutely cannot let WRs get behind us with a lead in the fourth quarter. That cannot happen, much less happen several times.

I have faith our coaches are going to get that fixed. Hendrix seems to indicate those are unforced errors, so hopefully they are solvable.

Special Teams

Certainly seemed to win the game for us. Furman appeared to have a clear advantage here. We need to stop missing xpts, though.

Not sure I completely understood the squib kick with a minute left on the clock after 4th quarter field goal. I realize it makes a return less likely, but it gave WCU really solid field position for a final drive. I will say that it was quite windy according to the flags, so that may have played a role in trying to avoid kicking it deep.

Referees

I think both sides were equally annoyed by the refs for reasons already stated.

Overall

It was an odd game. If you had told me Furman would have won this game 47-40, I'd have assumed it was a standard WCU/Furman game. So many of them have felt like shootouts.

We all feel a little iffy about it because it felt like it should have been a blowout at least twice, and we just sort of fell apart.

Bottom line, though, is that football is a team game in three phases where scoring points, not accumulation of yards, is the operative measure. We did a better job of scoring points than they did.
FU3 liked this
 #58178  by cavedweller2
 Mon Oct 17, 2022 9:40 am
Give credit where credit is due. Western is up and coming. They have some serious speed and I liked the look of that Freshman QB. Offenses in college football are progressing faster than the defenses can keep up. Look at the number of track meets/shoot outs with 40 + points on Saturday. It am pure horror show!
gman84, QCGlue liked this