• Furman v Western Carolina Game Thread

#58113  by Louis Tully
 Sat Oct 15, 2022 7:27 pm
Looked like to me the offense put on the brakes. Should have hung 59 on them.
 #58120  by cavedweller2
 Sat Oct 15, 2022 9:29 pm
Folks. We won. Giving up 40 but we won. Tennessee gave up 49 and won.
gman84, Roundball, din23 liked this
 #58122  by The Jackal
 Sat Oct 15, 2022 10:04 pm
Ugly defensive effort today. Uncharacteristically ugly. Limited pressure, poor in coverage, poor tackling.

Felt several times like Furman was on the verge of turning it into a route. Credit to WCU for responding.

As much as last week felt like a typical Citadel game, today felt like a typical game against WCU.

Glad to be 5-2. Keep chopping.
 #58125  by FUBeAR
 Sat Oct 15, 2022 11:39 pm
cavedweller2 wrote:
Sat Oct 15, 2022 9:29 pm
Folks. We won. Giving up 40 but we won. Tennessee gave up 49 and won.
Are you suggesting Furman Fans should have torn down our own goalposts after the game today?
 #58126  by FurmAlum
 Sat Oct 15, 2022 11:40 pm
A win is a win. Would like to have a stress free game, though.

P.S. Clempson did about what we did, and Alabama can't play pass defense, either. :D
apaladin liked this
 #58127  by Paul C
 Sun Oct 16, 2022 12:04 am
It frustrates me that we don’t have a killer instinct and can’t put teams away.

Did y’all think we had that 4th and 1 by at least a 1/2 yard? I didn’t see replay and had a bad angle but was shocked where they spotted the ball. Could just have been by angle tho.

And after playing a tremendous game Roberto coughs it up when we could have put them away.

And why not throw it just a bit more? Sure the run game was working but a play action pass or RPO would have been wide open.

Clay is coaching like he’s scared we will give up a big play or turn the ball over….which leads to giving up big plays and turning the ball over.

Wonder when he lost his killer instinct and started coaching scared?
dornb, MidlandsPaladin, din23 and 2 others liked this
 #58129  by apaladin
 Sun Oct 16, 2022 12:22 am
Paul C wrote:

Did y’all think we had that 4th and 1 by at least a 1/2 yard? I didn’t see replay and had a bad angle but was shocked where they spotted the ball. Could just have been by angle tho.

And after playing a tremendous game Roberto coughs it up when we could have put them away.

And why not throw it just a bit more? Sure the run game was working but a play action pass or RPO would have been wide open.

Clay is coaching like he’s scared we will give up a big play or turn the ball over….which leads to giving up big plays and turning the ball over.

Excellent post PC, my thoughts exactly. 👍
dornb liked this
 #58131  by gofurman
 Sun Oct 16, 2022 12:46 am
Paul C wrote:

PaulC is usually very positive on our team etc… and especially (!) with regards to the coaches. The fact that he felt the need for THIS POST REALLY SAYS SOMETHING.

I did notice in the box score we had 10 total pass attempts for a whopping 66 yards. And I’m the guy that says never pass and run for 500 yards .. and I maintain I would love that. Today was beautiful to me. On offense. But when I see how open Roberto was for the TD ..

We definitely don’t put teams away. Citadel I understood our 4th quarter much more as I was wondering of the health of Huff meaning let’s just run the clock out. And Citadel had shown no ability to score vs our defense. Nice. But today was different. . We all know WCU can score in big bunches. Every year they can score and can’t stop the run. We need some killer instinct. Keep scoring. And damn that was the worst quarter of .defense all year. CCH pre game interview on 97.7 said we are better prepared for this O of WCU now after Samford and game experience. It didn’t look like it.

No QB pressure. Enormous holes in our supposedly talented secondary. Enormous. Allowing huge QB runs. And the several times WCU WRs just ran right by our DBs. That was embarrassing. Once is ok. Numerous times and three for huge TDS. NOT OK.

Again. There were real positives. Awesome run game!!! Truly awesome.
Special teams were the best I have seen in years!!!! We cut it to one turnover. Though very frustrating timing - when you know ball security is paramount - we should live with one turnover. But man that D…
 #58133  by apaladin
 Sun Oct 16, 2022 2:52 am
We got lit up by a freshman QB playing in his 6th college game. 12-16, 259 yds, 2 tds averaged 20+ yds completion all in less than a half. Bad news VMI is down to its 3rd QB so better watch out.
 #58134  by apaladin
 Sun Oct 16, 2022 3:25 am
CCH said he was diappointed in the deep balls we gave up but it’s all fixable. Ok, when! This is game 7 and it’s not been fixed yet. Only 4 games left, so when?
 #58136  by AstroDin
 Sun Oct 16, 2022 7:06 am
NEPA wrote:
Sun Oct 16, 2022 6:36 am
Believe i saw backup qb Jace on sideline with crutches.
No, that was freshman Trey McLeod.
Jace was on the sidelines in the same white/black hoodie as McLeod.
Jace was one of the QBs giving signals.
Carson Jones was the number two in warm-ups.
Also, Myion Hicks didn't dress, and Jaquan Smith was dressed.

I sit next to the player's parents, whose son is a roommate with Jace. We noticed he wasn't out there for pre-game warmups.
 #58137  by AstroDin
 Sun Oct 16, 2022 7:20 am
apaladin wrote:
Sun Oct 16, 2022 2:52 am
We got lit up by a freshman QB playing in his 6th college game. 12-16, 259 yds, 2 tds averaged 20+ yds completion all in less than a half. Bad news VMI is down to its 3rd QB so better watch out.
Let's give Gonzales some credit - doesn't matter what class you are in when you can throw dimes like he did. You don't hit two deep passes like that with luck.

Gilby's hit on Davis, which knocked him wobbly ended up being the source of life for Western's offense. I would start Gonzales over Davis based on what I saw. A few other things to consider; Western has a ton of weapons at receiver the most speed I've seen in a long time.