• Furman v Western Carolina Game Thread

#58094  by Louis Tully
 Sat Oct 15, 2022 5:23 pm
Hey GF. FU all the time.
 #58096  by gofurman
 Sat Oct 15, 2022 5:28 pm
Louis Tully wrote:
Sat Oct 15, 2022 5:22 pm
Looks like Western has a new starting QB.
WE were ok until you showed up - "How bad are we doing? We are only up 24. This is really distressing. We really suck. " we were fine until you showed up Mr Louis "this-is-really-distressing" Tully

Please don't ever type those words LOL EVER :D

and now we do ANOTHER great special teams play (Blackshear).. and then we HOLD and throw to stop clock etc. good law... we just refuse to step on throat. leaving that window open are we - and we HIT the goalpost on the FG.

COVER SOME DAMN RECVRS IF THEY GO DEEP

at worst DONT LET THEM BEHIND YOU. Line up so deep they cant get deep on you

NOTE - we took out one of our particular CBs for this series. Y'all been bragging on our defensive backfield? We have 2 DBs - one in particular - getting Owned. Again with all the huge pass plays. Some of that is on players but the WCU WRs are just too fast for the way we were covering the entire 4th quarter. THAT IS ON COACHES.
 #58097  by gofurman
 Sat Oct 15, 2022 5:38 pm
Louis Tully wrote:
Sat Oct 15, 2022 5:23 pm
Hey GF. FU all the time.
I love FU.

Look, let's be civil, but when you come on here and say SARCASTICALLY 'this is so distressing" making fun of those of us that were stressed.. and then IT IS DISTRESSING. Well, Damn man. OWN IT _ YOU WERE WRONG

If you are mature, you will OWN IT. We just can't close out games.

If I had said what you posted, I would be a big enough man to come on here and instead of saying "FU all the time" - what are you, in 6th grade???????????????

I would be man enough to say "damn, I WAS WRONG.. that WAS distressing"
- let's see if you are man enough to say that >> that would be most impressive. I doubt we see it though. Otherwise, just be man enough to not reply to me - not nearly as impressive but what I expect and will suffice.
Last edited by gofurman on Sat Oct 15, 2022 5:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
 #58099  by gofurman
 Sat Oct 15, 2022 5:42 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Sat Oct 15, 2022 5:39 pm
Stout defense.
You are so right Furmanoid. So stout we had to take a particular DB out he kept getting TORCHED so much. They were literally hunting for him. I would too. A freshman QB lit up our great D.

LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL .. I know right , damn we can make them all exciting - and EXCITING SUCKSSSS. Exciting teams (us) find ways to lose... PUT THE HAMMER DOWN GUYS.

*thank you special teams - a huge kickoff return for a TD, a blocked FG, a blocked XP, the pickup by Blackshear on the onsides. Just huge. Great running by O. Our D - yeah, well, whatever
Last edited by gofurman on Sat Oct 15, 2022 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #58100  by wcugrad95
 Sat Oct 15, 2022 5:44 pm
Crazy game. It would have been nice for WCU to have that TD on our opening drive that even you guys agreed was a score. But when we get almost 700 yards of offense and score 40 points and still lose, it would seem like we deserved to. Both teams looked horrible on defense, but Furman won the special teams battle by a WHOLE lot with blocked kicks and the KO return and that ended up being the difference.

Good luck to you guys the rest of the way.
QCGlue, Bootie, tim and 3 others liked this
 #58101  by Paladin83
 Sat Oct 15, 2022 5:47 pm
Great to see a dominating run performance. That being said, nearly 700 yards of offense given up by the D is unacceptable and embarrassing. We won today because Western has a bad D. We can’t beat a good team playing this way on D. Coaches need to get their crap together! No pressure on the QB AND gaping holes all over the secondary is a ridiculously bad combination.
 #58102  by gofurman
 Sat Oct 15, 2022 5:51 pm
wcugrad95 wrote:
Sat Oct 15, 2022 5:44 pm
Crazy game. It would have been nice for WCU to have that TD on our opening drive that even you guys agreed was a score. But when we get almost 700 yards of offense and score 40 points and still lose, it would seem like we deserved to. Both teams looked horrible on defense, but Furman won the special teams battle by a WHOLE lot with blocked kicks and the KO return and that ended up being the difference.

Good luck to you guys the rest of the way.
You are a good objective man. You shoulda won in a way. HUGE momentum play - yes, it was probably a TD you scored and then we blocked the FG. Who knows how it woulda progressed from there? Y'all have the scariest offense every year... Crazy. Just get a little more D and you will start winning a lot. I think you might have the right coach. Need a few bigger boys on D to stop the run game. We need a DC who knows that, up 24 in the 4th quarter, you make SURE your DBs stay behind receivers at ALL COSTS. Even if - I mean you are up 24 !!! - you allow 8 yard underneath gains. So y'all get a TD.. then we run the ball and eat clock .. Nope we stay aggressive with a CB that has already been beaten BADLY and let you torch us for 2 TDs like that. CCH is known for being conservative - that D we played in 4th Q was too aggressive. CCH better have a talk with our DC. Kinda like "WTH were you doing man on man with Receivers blowing by us??????????????

Good luck to Western the rest of the way !!!! Please beat Chatt ! :D
QCGlue liked this
 #58104  by FU3
 Sat Oct 15, 2022 6:03 pm
Some strange clock management at the end and I don’t have a clue what we were doing in coverages.Anyway we are 5-2 and I am happy for that. Our QB is a real gamer and we are lucky to have him. Anyone know why Jace wasn’t dressed out ?
tim liked this
 #58105  by Louis Tully
 Sat Oct 15, 2022 6:09 pm
Defense in college football is difficult at every level. Football is a 60 minute game. Clock management usually get's butchered. I jest mostly. Coaches rather than players are usually the issue in a close loss. We won. Beat VMI.
 #58106  by apaladin
 Sat Oct 15, 2022 6:09 pm
CCH has got to stop the conservative playing the clock BS. You might get away with it vs a horrible Citadel team but not anyone elee. It was his fault putting in a completely new defense of players that hadn’t played and they give up a quick length of the field drive and give WCU life. Once you call off the dogs which we did way too early its hard to get back going again. I thought we were supposed to have great dbs and corners yet WCU receivers were wide open all day, not to mention running right by them. Happy we barely got the aw but my goodness. Game should have never come down to the wire.
 #58111  by gofurman
 Sat Oct 15, 2022 7:15 pm
FurmanFan23 wrote:
Sat Oct 15, 2022 5:56 pm
2 Questions
1) Does anyone know why Jace didn't warm up?
2) Anyone notice any injuries?
1) No idea . weird

Injuris man .. Injuris lol
2) 3 Brinson left but returned ..

** however Seth Johnson went out but I don't know if he came back?? Anyone know about Mr. Johnson number 94 on DL??

** and 81 Gissinger at TE walked off, looked "ok" but I don't know. I think he left pretty late in game ?

Anyone know about those guys -0 Johnson and Gissinger?
 #58112  by gofurman
 Sat Oct 15, 2022 7:25 pm
On coaches - At start of quarter 4... Up 44-20!! I just don't understand why certain DBs were either 1) still out there on the field - OR - not getting help from some sort of nickel package / safeties or what have you .. that is on COACHES,

Just allow underneath routes of 7 yards at that point. I can't wrap my head around that 4th quarter defense. If you have a guy get beat twice for a TD why is he playing such aggressive D on the WR anyway when we are up TWENTY FOUR POINTS??? Just lay back and keep everything in front of you. The old Furman D - I love our new aggression on D but there is a time and place for everything. The fourth quarter was exactly the time to allow a lot of underneath catches and 7 yard runs. Just play "keep EVERYTHING in front of you" football for that 15 minutes. Instead we give up our 2nd and 3rd loong TD passes which take no time off the clock.

First long pass TD, fine. Second one, hmm. THIRD. NO EXCUSE - especially considering time and score. That should always be in every coach and players mind. ALWAYS

Longest three pass TDs for them were 75 yards.. 42 yards... and 69 yards... just inexcusable against our "great and deep defensive backfield". The 42 yard TD pass and 69 yard TD pass came within about 5 minutes of each other.
WOW

Great Running game. Truly AMAZING special teams but man, if we really have such great and deep (quality and quantity) DBs then our defensive backfield coach needs a "come to Jesus" talk. If he really has the talent people say we have. And I do think most are good - Blackshear, Morris, Chizik, Ryan (though he got beat bad once for TD). And those WCU recvrs were good - but then how did Mercer hold em to SIX points (I know, 5 turnovers) ... the kicker for me is Samford holding them to 12 points and us giving up 40.

thankfully we have VMI coming.

GoFurman
Last edited by gofurman on Sat Oct 15, 2022 7:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.