• Furman Citadel Game Thread

#57989  by MNORM
 Thu Oct 13, 2022 3:40 pm
Finally getting around to reading this thread.
My long standing rule of staying off the forum during games has been reinforced.
One thing is for certain...some of y'all need to learn that you don't get extra "style" points in football...either that, or simply put away the laptop for a few hours. It's painful to read some of the asinine comments. I fully expect a few of you to submit your incredible resumes should CCH either retire or move on.
AstroDin, FurmAlum, hypercycloid and 2 others liked this
 #57994  by tim
 Thu Oct 13, 2022 5:12 pm
MNORM wrote:
Thu Oct 13, 2022 3:40 pm
Finally getting around to reading this thread.
My long standing rule of staying off the forum during games has been reinforced.
One thing is for certain...some of y'all need to learn that you don't get extra "style" points in football...either that, or simply put away the laptop for a few hours. It's painful to read some of the asinine comments. I fully expect a few of you to submit your incredible resumes should CCH either retire or move on.
So why did you read, are you a masochist? Your comment is asinine. A football game is an emotional thing for many folks in person anyway. Ups and downs, cheering, yelling screaming vocalizing.(at most places anyway) Can the lectures.
Davemeister liked this
 #58020  by Davemeister
 Fri Oct 14, 2022 10:00 am
The people who comment are (by & large) people who care about Furman Football. There aren't nearly enough of us. As long as the discourse is civil, I see nothing wrong with the voicing of differing opinions.
Bootie, MNORM, dornb and 1 others liked this
 #58022  by MNORM
 Fri Oct 14, 2022 11:55 am
Davemeister wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 10:00 am
The people who comment are (by & large) people who care about Furman Football. There aren't nearly enough of us. As long as the discourse is civil, I see nothing wrong with the voicing of differing opinions.
I agree completely...as a fan who can count on one hand the amount of home games missed in 20+ years, screams & yells, cheers, still shakes my keys and screams "FU" on kickoffs, etc.

Calling our team poorly coached, voicing the need for a QB change mid-game, saying "I'm out" in the 1st half of a game, piling on to every little mistake, however, seems a bit over the top to me on a public forum read by recruits and players. Just my opinion. Not a masochist. Been on this board since ~2000 and sometimes my busy life keeps me from keeping up with threads in the moment. It was sad to see so many long time fans/posters give up on us in the first half. Simple as that...my perspective. Seems a bit "Clempson fan-esque"
 #58023  by Afurmanfan
 Fri Oct 14, 2022 12:02 pm
Being a fan doesn’t mean I am blind to our mistakes or shortcomings. But a real fan does not go online to trash his team every two minutes during a game.
Period.
MNORM liked this
 #58025  by Furmanoid
 Fri Oct 14, 2022 12:06 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 1:50 pm
Bootie wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 1:05 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 12:56 pm
So people who expect an easy game against the freaking Citadel are too super negative. But expecting to struggle with the Citadel is positive and supportive.
I’d say perhaps never mind the comparison of positive or negative…

It would seem to be a statistical abnormality to go into an FU vs CIT game expecting to win by a lot. So if I wish for something that is not likely to happen, that’s one thing, but to expect it, or get disappointed if it doesn’t happen appears foolish.

Correct. The issue is not being positive or negative.

The issue is that despite two decades of evidence to the contrary, some of our fans expect a certain result based on their subjective assessment of how the game should go.

When the game doesn't go according to that pre-determined subjective assessment, said fans proceed to have a complete come-apart on the game thread. Usually before half time of a 4 quarter football game.

If some thought Furman was going to waltz into Charleston and blow out the Citadel in an easy victory, then they aren't paying attention.
So the last 20 years are the standard? Why?We should expect to struggle with crappy bellhop teams forever because, damnit, we’ve been doing it for 20 years and that’s how we do things around here? I thought we wanted to improve and be a contender? Continuing to struggle with the Citadel is an indicator that we aren’t improving much. Not improving much is bad.

Why wouldn’t we want 1982-90 to be the standard? C’mon we need our positive guys to think positive.
Affirm liked this
 #58032  by Bootie
 Fri Oct 14, 2022 2:57 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 12:06 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 1:50 pm
Bootie wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 1:05 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 12:56 pm
So people who expect an easy game against the freaking Citadel are too super negative. But expecting to struggle with the Citadel is positive and supportive.
I’d say perhaps never mind the comparison of positive or negative…

It would seem to be a statistical abnormality to go into an FU vs CIT game expecting to win by a lot. So if I wish for something that is not likely to happen, that’s one thing, but to expect it, or get disappointed if it doesn’t happen appears foolish.

Correct. The issue is not being positive or negative.

The issue is that despite two decades of evidence to the contrary, some of our fans expect a certain result based on their subjective assessment of how the game should go.

When the game doesn't go according to that pre-determined subjective assessment, said fans proceed to have a complete come-apart on the game thread. Usually before half time of a 4 quarter football game.

If some thought Furman was going to waltz into Charleston and blow out the Citadel in an easy victory, then they aren't paying attention.
So the last 20 years are the standard? Why?We should expect to struggle with crappy bellhop teams forever because, damnit, we’ve been doing it for 20 years and that’s how we do things around here? I thought we wanted to improve and be a contender? Continuing to struggle with the Citadel is an indicator that we aren’t improving much. Not improving much is bad.

Why wouldn’t we want 1982-90 to be the standard? C’mon we need our positive guys to think positive.
I don’t think anyone is saying the last 20 years is the standard we should strive for. But the last 20 years is the only recent historical data we have to make some reasonable prediction (expectation) on how the game might go.