• Western Carolina

#57966  by The Jackal
 Thu Oct 13, 2022 6:15 am
One of the larger statistical oddities is that WCU leads the nation in sacks (24) despite not being a traditionally high pressure defense.

Odder still is that twice in 6 games the Catamounts have been held without a sack. Their 24 sacks have come in only 4 games.

When they get to the QB, they do it in bunches. They have two games with 7 sacks, one game with 6, and one game with 4.
 #57978  by apaladin
 Thu Oct 13, 2022 11:34 am
The Jackal wrote:
Thu Oct 13, 2022 6:15 am
One of the larger statistical oddities is that WCU leads the nation in sacks (24) despite not being a traditionally high pressure defense.

Odder still is that twice in 6 games the Catamounts have been held without a sack. Their 24 sacks have come in only 4 games.

When they get to the QB, they do it in bunches. They have two games with 7 sacks, one game with 6, and one game with 4.
Like when they play PC.
 #57979  by FUBeAR
 Thu Oct 13, 2022 11:47 am
Can “The Cats” recover from the behind-the-barn-old-fashioned-rear-end-blistering-switch-whippin’ Mercer administered to their swaggering HC, Team, and fans last week? In true Kevin Bacon Animal House style, Coach Bell said he told Coach Cronic after the game that he wanted another half. Not sure if he prefaced that request with “Thank you, Sir,” or not. Furman obviously bounced back from their heartbreaking & infuriating loss to Samford with a felonious-reaming assist from the (now former) SoCon Referee to post a very efficient win against the ‘Dins arch-rival in a very hostile environment. QB1 is ready to go and the Dins are looking strong…maybe as strong as Mercer, which doesn’t bode well for the Team from NC wearing near-lilac. Hard to see how WCU finds a way to stop FU on Sat. and though they may sneak a few Retrievers open, just don’t see the WCU O being able to sustain enough ball control to keep their D on the sidelines very long.

FINAL SCORE: Furman 34 - WCU 17
Last edited by FUBeAR on Thu Oct 13, 2022 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #57985  by Davemeister
 Thu Oct 13, 2022 2:32 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Thu Oct 13, 2022 12:40 pm
45-10
What he said.

Say "No" to small-ball and score as many freakin' points as we can.

I've never seen Furman lose a game because we scored too much, but I've seen too many where we lost because we didn't score enough and counted on our D to win it for us.
apaladin liked this
 #57993  by The Jackal
 Thu Oct 13, 2022 4:40 pm
Davemeister wrote:
Thu Oct 13, 2022 2:32 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Thu Oct 13, 2022 12:40 pm
45-10
What he said.

Say "No" to small-ball and score as many freakin' points as we can.

I've never seen Furman lose a game because we scored too much, but I've seen too many where we lost because we didn't score enough and counted on our D to win it for us.
In think it was a home game in 2018 against these guys where we jumped out to a big lead in the first half only to watch Tyrie Adams pull rabbits out of his hat most of the second half for a too close Furman win.
 #58003  by gofurman
 Thu Oct 13, 2022 10:09 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Sun Oct 09, 2022 8:33 am
Here's another long pass, but I'm not super worried about it.

It's 2nd and 1 on maybe the second play of the game from the Bulldog offense. You aren't necessarily expecting a long downfield pass in that situation against an option offense. Good call from the Citadel early in the game.

As a defense, you can live with this.

on the flip, 2nd and one "opens up the playbook" as they assume they can get the one yd on the next play. I think you have to at least be aware of the deep pass on 2nd and 1.

I can see that one both ways - no worries. Just sayin' sometimes I like it when we take a shot on 2nd and 1 if our OL is doing the job.

If that is thrown a little better that's an 80 yard TD ... thankfully the new QB kept making the receivers jump or lose their balance to catch it. ANyway, appreciate the analysis.!!!!
 #58004  by gofurman
 Thu Oct 13, 2022 10:30 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Sun Oct 09, 2022 10:42 am
I realize that we went into conservative mode up three scores against the Citadel's offense. I still thought that we showed some creativity on offense.

1. We took several shots downfield, something we haven't done a ton of this season. Not great throws, but still were looking for them.

2. I loved the coach's commitment to a physical run game. It really took some of the fire out of the Citadel's defense. Here's Roberto just sticking his facemask in the linebacker's chest and driving him into the end zone.

-------------------------------------------------------
two things on this play.
1- I LOVE NICE BORING RUNS LIKE THIS. Man up and beat them at the LOS. Awesome !! wish we could run like this for 5 yards on every. friggin . play. every play 20 times in a row and then one play action for a TD.

2- if you watch the play you will notice the CItadel does Not respect Huff's run much by this point - meaning his willingness to pull the ball and take it himself. And based on the game develpments.. they shouldn't. They have everyone keyed on the RB except one guy watching Huff. One. Need his dual threat capability to at least make another guy slide towards the QB keeper to the left. All the Citadel guys were there for ROberto. Awesome that he ran right over them! But that won't work vs great FCS DL.

Hope Huff can be a runner (even if taught to slide more) again soon...

Gofurman !!
 #58005  by apaladin
 Thu Oct 13, 2022 10:53 pm
GF- on yiur above post, a better QB hits him in stride and he’s gone. I don’t like defenses that depend on the qb throwing a not so good pass or a receiver that falls down. Not saying ours does
 #58011  by The Jackal
 Fri Oct 14, 2022 6:56 am
gofurman wrote:
Thu Oct 13, 2022 10:30 pm

2- if you watch the play you will notice the CItadel does Not respect Huff's run much by this point - meaning his willingness to pull the ball and take it himself. And based on the game develpments.. they shouldn't. They have everyone keyed on the RB except one guy watching Huff. One. Need his dual threat capability to at least make another guy slide towards the QB keeper to the left. All the Citadel guys were there for ROberto. Awesome that he ran right over them! But that won't work vs great FCS DL.

Hope Huff can be a runner (even if taught to slide more) again soon...

This is a straight hand off by Huff. Yes, the Citadel was keying on Roberto because that's who was getting the ball.

I disagree with your assessment that the Citadel wasn't respecting Huff's ability to run, though. This play is a good example.

I have no idea if this is called to be a straight handoff to Roberto or a zone read by Huff. Probably the former. What you can see, though, is Citadel clearly respects Huff's running ability.

Huff effectively blocks the backside defensive end by staring at him (i.e., blocks him "with his eyes"). There is no Furman player assigned to block the backside DE/OLB. That player is forced to slowly feather down the line of scrimmage because he has to defend the possibility that Huff will pull the ball and run around him.

Also look at the backside safety. His eyes are watching the interaction at the line of scrimmage between Huff and the DE/OLB. I assume it will be his responsibility to fill the lane backside if Huff gets to the corner.

Huff's running ability caused hesitation for two Citadel defenders on this play. Roberto reels off a long touchdown run and Furman really didn't even bother blocking two Bulldog defenders. The threat of Huff's outside run kept them in one spot and allowed Furman's offense to get numbers at the point of attack.

I think we all assumed that Huff's running was limited because of his injury. It seemed in the post-game comments that Huff didn't run that much because Furman didn't need to.
Bootie, MNORM liked this
 #58029  by Davemeister
 Fri Oct 14, 2022 1:38 pm
Tomorrow promises to be a beautiful day for Furman Football!

I hope all of you will join me at Paladin Stadium to cheer our Purple Men on to victory. Let's send those Mangey Cats back up the mountain with their tails between their legs.

And they better not even think about messing with our goalpost!
MNORM, apaladin, dornb liked this