• Furman Citadel Game Thread

#57710  by tim
 Sat Oct 08, 2022 5:38 pm
Ugly game but the Citadel has been playing the wrong qb. They broke him out for us. With their D, they may just knock off a SOCON or two.
FurmAlum, AstroDin liked this
 #57714  by gman84
 Sat Oct 08, 2022 5:56 pm
Let’s see…we go conservative on offense and choose not to run our qb who is coming off an injury and we win a road conference game against a team that routinely gives us a tough game. What part of that is a problem? Mission accomplished!
MidlandsPaladin, The Jackal, Bootie and 6 others liked this
 #57715  by The Jackal
 Sat Oct 08, 2022 6:16 pm
gman84 wrote:
Let’s see…we go conservative on offense and choose not to run our qb who is coming off an injury and we win a road conference game against a team that routinely gives us a tough game. What part of that is a problem? Mission accomplished!

We can nitpick every game, but this was the type of game we all should have expected.

Offensively, it was clear that Huff wasn't going to run much. I think he had one carry? He's our second leading rusher this season.

We went very conservative in the second half with a three score lead. I imagine our coaches didn't think that the Bulldog offense could mount three scoring drives on us, and they were correct.

Defensively, we were excellent against the run. The pass we still show a concerning ability to lose receivers from time to time, but on the whole, we were stout most of the day.

Still room for improvement, but a good win for the Paladins. This was a tough road game we needed to win.
 #57719  by The Jackal
 Sat Oct 08, 2022 7:53 pm
For curiosity's sake, I went back and looked at the last 20 years for Furman games in Charleston against the Citadel

2003 - L: 10-9
2005: W 39-31
2007: L 51-54
2009: L 28-38
2011: W 16-6
2013: W 24-17
2014: L 42-35 (OT)
2016: L 14-19
2018: W 28-17
2020: L 6-27

You can throw out records when Furman plays at the Citadel. The average margin of victory over the last 20 years is 8.3 points. That number is actually higher than it probably otherwise would be due to the weird COVID 2020 game (a 21 point Citadel win).

Furman's 11 point road win today is tied for the largest margin of victory for the Paladins in Johnson Haygood since 2003 (we won by 11 in 2018).

Just food for thought before we read too much into what this game means stat-wise.
FUBeAR, AstroDin, gman84 liked this
 #57721  by tya1
 Sat Oct 08, 2022 8:24 pm
gman84 wrote:
And is or was until recently our arch- rival.
FUBeAR liked this
 #57724  by Louis Tully
 Sat Oct 08, 2022 10:28 pm
Good win. See y’all next Saturday.
apaladin, FUBeAR liked this
 #57728  by FurmAlum
 Sun Oct 09, 2022 12:31 am
Wasn't perfect but a good road win.

The reason our D gave up some pass plays is because it was set up to stop the option/run. And we did. They didn't get anywhere running the ball and only scored 10 points.

The reason Huff didn't run this week was because he was told not to due to his injured elbow. Coaches felt we could beat ElCid without his run game and they were right.

Agree with Tim. They found their QB and I wouldn't be surprised if they beat a couple teams late in the season.

The in-game posts from all the malcontents cracks me up.
FUBeAR, din23, AstroDin and 3 others liked this
 #57731  by gofurman
 Sun Oct 09, 2022 1:41 am
FurmAlum wrote:
Sun Oct 09, 2022 12:31 am
Wasn't perfect but a good road win.

The reason our D gave up some pass plays is because it was set up to stop the option/run. And we did. They didn't get anywhere running the ball and only scored 10 points.

The reason Huff didn't run this week was because he was told not to due to his injured elbow. Coaches felt we could beat ElCid without his run game and they were right.

Agree with Tim. They found their QB and I wouldn't be surprised if they beat a couple teams late in the season.

The in-game posts from all the malcontents cracks me up.
Good win. No GREAT win. Awesome

But yeah, we do have a concern keeping receivers covered. We do. Jackal sees it too. I get the “ we are playing the option” but if you say that you are disagreeing with our former players ( see below ). I had to use radio for a while 97.7. .

Again, our own players as radio guys like McMorris (former FU player on D) all said “we just keep giving up too many open receivers! “. This includes the past few weeks of wheel routes etc. To deny this is crazy. ETSU. Samford. Today we were saved bc the qb made the receiver jump and fall to catch the deep ball. Better qb will Hit Em in stride and those guys guys are gone to the house.
 #57732  by gofurman
 Sun Oct 09, 2022 1:44 am
The Jackal wrote:
Sat Oct 08, 2022 6:16 pm
gman84 wrote:

We can nitpick every game, but this was the type of game we all should have expected.

Offensively, it was clear that Huff wasn't going to run much. I think he had one carry? He's our second leading rusher this season.

We went very conservative in the second half with a three score lead. I imagine our coaches didn't think that the Bulldog offense could mount three scoring drives on us, and they were correct.

Defensively, we were excellent against the run. The pass we still show a concerning ability to lose receivers from time to time, but on the whole, we were stout most of the day.

Still room for improvement, but a good win for the Paladins. This was a tough road game we needed to win.

Great win

Two concerns. - How long will Huff be restrained from running ? That’s a HUGE part of his and the team arsenal. Can we keep up with a higher scoring team without his run threat. That’s such a great weapon ETSU had to lose a defender to spy him. BIG part of why we win at ETSU was Huff runs

Anyone know about Ryan Miller. Is he ok ?
 #57736  by AstroDin
 Sun Oct 09, 2022 7:36 am
I saw a comment somewhere that the Citadel gifted us two touchdowns… I know who said this ;-)
… you know that is an overreaction.

You have to give the coaches and players credit, they came out in the second half, and the defense turned it up a notch. Our defense's physicality forced those turnovers; our offense quickly punched those turnovers into points. It's what you're supposed to do.

Some of our fellow posters concerned about injuries are taking credit away from the play of Justin Miller. Miller's play in the last three games; 11 tackles, 2 forced fumbles, a fumble recovery, and two interceptions.
gman84 liked this
 #57740  by AstroDin
 Sun Oct 09, 2022 8:18 am
The Jackal wrote:
Sun Oct 09, 2022 7:38 am
The Citadel didn't "gift" us anything yesterday. Anyone who thinks otherwise is looking for reasons to complain.

Both of those turnovers were physically forced by the defense.
Blackshear!
 #57741  by AstroDin
 Sun Oct 09, 2022 8:20 am
The Jackal wrote:
Sun Oct 09, 2022 7:38 am
The Citadel didn't "gift" us anything yesterday. Anyone who thinks otherwise is looking for reasons to complain.

Both of those turnovers were physically forced by the defense.
Blackshear!