• Furman Citadel Game Thread

#57689  by The Jackal
 Sat Oct 08, 2022 4:41 pm
gofurman wrote:
Sat Oct 08, 2022 4:38 pm
Bootie wrote:
Sat Oct 08, 2022 4:18 pm
I’m not worried.
say what you will we can't keep discipline with WRs - WTH ? We are just losing guys wide open. I don't understand. we should be worried = this is the 3rd or 4th game we are just LOSING RECEIVERS on deep balls..

Or here- to quote our own radio guys on 97.7 "its a good thing they are throwing where the receiver has to jump or fall over to catch it.. otherwise some of the catches would go to the house as the Paladin DBs are not close enough to the receiver. " AGAIN, we are letting guys get wide a open. This was on the 85 yd td drive they had in Q3, I think this particular pass was to Njoko or however you spell. it.
They have 10 points.
 #57690  by gofurman
 Sat Oct 08, 2022 4:43 pm
apaladin wrote:
Sat Oct 08, 2022 4:40 pm
Punt again! CCH has shown the offense he has no confidence in them . Not good for morale. So we gain 30 yds, big whoopn deal.
Nah, its ok to punt - they haven't moved much. However, COVER YOUR MAN OR AREA on teh pass.

And the FG was the right decision. Just missed - can't be results oriented. It was right to go for up by 14.

*and HOLY COW that catch by Citadel... for 2 yard - what a catch
 #57691  by gofurman
 Sat Oct 08, 2022 4:47 pm
The Jackal wrote:
gofurman wrote:
Bootie wrote:
I’m not worried.
say what you will we can't keep discipline with WRs - WTH ? We are just losing guys wide open. I don't understand. we should be worried = this is the 3rd or 4th game we are just LOSING RECEIVERS on deep balls..

Or here- to quote our own radio guys on 97.7 "its a good thing they are throwing where the receiver has to jump or fall over to catch it.. otherwise some of the catches would go to the house as the Paladin DBs are not close enough to the receiver. " AGAIN, we are letting guys get wide a open. This was on the 85 yd td drive they had in Q3, I think this particular pass was to Njoko or however you spell. it.

They have 10 points.
I KNOW.

And thats great. But EVEN THE RADIO GUYS WHO PLAYED FOR US said (2 oor 3 times) that "hey, we have real pass coverage problems. Losing receivers for big gain several times a game. " we all know that's true.

win will be great if happens. Charleston is a house of horrors. But we have issues to correct.
 #57692  by The Jackal
 Sat Oct 08, 2022 4:48 pm
gofurman wrote:
apaladin wrote:
Punt again! CCH has shown the offense he has no confidence in them . Not good for morale. So we gain 30 yds, big whoopn deal.
Nah, its ok to punt - they haven't moved much. However, COVER YOUR MAN OR AREA on teh pass.

And the FG was the right decision. Just missed - can't be results oriented. It was right to go for up by 14.

All of these decisions are perfectly defensible.

Fans find them conservative, but the goal is to win the game.

Furman's objective here is keeping Bulldog receivers in front of them, tackling, and not giving up big plays for scores.
 #57693  by The Jackal
 Sat Oct 08, 2022 4:51 pm
gofurman wrote:
Sat Oct 08, 2022 4:47 pm
The Jackal wrote:
gofurman wrote:
Bootie wrote:
I’m not worried.

They have 10 points.
I KNOW.

And thats great. But EVEN THE RADIO GUYS WHO PLAYED FOR US said (2 oor 3 times) that "hey, we have real pass coverage problems. Losing receivers for big gain several times a game. " we all know that's true.

win will be great if happens. Charleston is a house of horrors. But we have issues to correct.

I mean, I get it. We aren't playing perfectly in the defensive backfield.

The goal, though, is to keep the other team from scoring. We're doing that fine.
 #57694  by Bootie
Production value of this broadcast is lame. No crowd mics, camera operators seem like they’ve never been behind a camera before.
hypercycloid, tim, din23 liked this
 #57698  by gofurman
 Sat Oct 08, 2022 4:54 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Sat Oct 08, 2022 4:48 pm
gofurman wrote:
apaladin wrote:

All of these decisions are perfectly defensible.

Fans find them conservative, but the goal is to win the game.

Furman's objective here is keeping Bulldog receivers in front of them, tackling, and not giving up big plays for scores.
Exactly. we are saying the same thing. " FG was the right decision. " "its ok to punt - they haven't moved much. "

I guess you are replying to AP. You know me, I want to WIN, boring is fine. hate exciting...

The only thing I debated (and you agreed I noticed) was earlier in game whether to punt or 4th and half a yard at midfield... But yeah, decisions are made to win, not be exciting.

*Jackal - the two guys that went down for us on D (seth johnson? and who was other) - appreciate the resonse

Oh, I was on radio a while... Did R Miller leave the game?? He seem ok?
Last edited by gofurman on Sat Oct 08, 2022 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #57699  by gofurman
 Sat Oct 08, 2022 4:56 pm
Bootie wrote:
Production value of this broadcast is lame. No crowd mics, camera operators seem like they’ve never been behind a camera before.
I think we can all agree here. this is the worst broadcast in a long time - i hear them whispering to each other during commercial
 #57701  by Louis Tully
 Sat Oct 08, 2022 5:03 pm
Winning a road conference game by double digits really bums me out.
Bootie, Roundball, hypercycloid and 3 others liked this
 #57702  by Roundball
 Sat Oct 08, 2022 5:04 pm
Bootie wrote:
They were probably sitting in a room offsite watching and broadcasting the game.
 #57707  by Bootie
 Sat Oct 08, 2022 5:08 pm
Roundball wrote:
Sat Oct 08, 2022 5:04 pm
Bootie wrote:
They were probably sitting in a room offsite watching and broadcasting the game.
Perhaps but still doesn’t excuse either of the two items I mentioned. If I were ESPN I’d require a better product if it’s going to be branded with the ESPN name.
Roundball, QCGlue liked this
 #57708  by FU3
 Sat Oct 08, 2022 5:14 pm
I think CCH made the right calls being conservative on the 4th downs. If we go for it and make them we probably win by 4 TD’s but if not we give them momentum and a much shorter field. We went very conservative on O and played the clock.Not pretty when you do it for a half but our D played well except for a couple blown coverages. We are 4-2.. we have enough talent to beat anyone in the league, win the next one.
Bootie liked this
 #57709  by gofurman
 Sat Oct 08, 2022 5:23 pm
GREAT-
BEAT THE CITADEL/. awesome

On the road - much more impressive

Great to see Huff

OL created much better holes for Roberto. Good job. Citadel has a good D. (they are very one sided - all D and not much O)

Some good catches by WRs.

Good job again creating turnovers.

Room for improvement -
Being fair, Citadel is HORRIFIC on offense. Horrible. They hadn't made a TD in the past 2 games.

DBs.safeties are really letting some guys just get completely wide open these past few games .. I don't know if thats on coaches or a guy just doesn't understand... but even our radio guys thought we got lucky (we did) when a few deep balls had to have the WR fall over to catch the throw.. otherwise those guys are gone for 50-75 yard TDs. Just too much of this the past few games.

Again with turnovers. 4 vs CSU, 3 vs Sammy (fumbles), 2 today (INTs) - so we are getting better but an average of 3 per game over last three games will cost us. It did last week

Of concern Huff isn't the same guy if he isn't a threat to run. He isn't. Did we run even one play for him to pull the ball from belly of RB? I don't think we did. That really shrinks the playbook and takes a possible from the D. Now we are playing 10 v 11. Hope he gets more leeway soon. Was ok today bc we got some holes with OL for Roberto.