• Scouting Citadel

#57547  by FUBeAR
 Fri Oct 07, 2022 8:34 am
The Jackal wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 8:09 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:53 pm
Heading into Saturday the bellhops will just be 2 days shy of going a complete month, during the shank of Football season, without scoring a single point.

Good season to be a knob. Averaging just 7 pushups a game.
Well…they’ve only had 1 home game and FUBeAR believes the way they do them would have yielded 50 pushups when they scored 20 vs. ETSU…but reducing that to an Avg of 25 pushups / game would be a great service we could do for those young men, women, and other gendered bellhop knobs on Saturday.
 #57548  by The Jackal
 Fri Oct 07, 2022 8:38 am
AllTimeFU wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 8:19 am
In regards to the gashes up the middle. I haven’t gone back to review the game, but it seemed like they happened when 0 and 7 weren’t in. I know we rotate our DL a lot, but an offense with a check with me play caller might see that line out and completely change the call to a run up the middle.

Coleman and Sochovka are definitely our run stuffers. They are pretty good at that role.

In passing situations, you are more likely to see Barton, Stanfield, Stephens, etc.

Offenses can catch us in sub packages that can expose us to certain types of plays. For instance, here's Adebayo's sack on a third and 13 last Saturday.

Furman has two Bandits on the line (Maier and Adebayo) along with Stephens and Stanfield inside. All four are more pass rushers. There's only one inside linebacker (Gilby), 5 defensive backs, and a Spur.

It's third and 13 and almost assuredly a pass, but Furman has very limited run-based personnel on the field for that snap.
 #57549  by Furmanoid
 Fri Oct 07, 2022 9:29 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 7:57 am
The 280 pounders can still cut block the 300 pounders for now, though it is frowned upon by many.
I stand corrected. I was lied to by the mainstream media about the new rule. So for instance on an inside veer, can the guard charge out and cut the Mike or can he only cut linemen?

Doesn’t change my prediction though. Two TD win.
 #57555  by Davemeister
 Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:10 am
MidlandsPaladin wrote:
Thu Oct 06, 2022 2:54 pm
FYI - citadel ticketing website now showing "Standing Room Only".

Could mean the Corp of Cadets has to stand at attention until the Home Team scores. Suit me fine if they are on their feet the entire game!
 #57556  by FUBeAR
 Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:12 am
Furmanoid wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:
The 280 pounders can still cut block the 300 pounders for now, though it is frowned upon by many.
I stand corrected. I was lied to by the mainstream media about the new rule. So for instance on an inside veer, can the guard charge out and cut the Mike or can he only cut linemen?

Yes if he gets to him before the ball leaves the tackle box (if it does) AND if he blocks him from the front (the old 10 and 2 rule) and not just an OG. A FB can cut that Mike also…

ARTICLE 6
a. Team A prior to a change of team possession:
1. Linemen with initial position completely inside the tackle box may legally block below the waist inside the tackle box on their initial line charge. A block initiated 1-yard beyond the neutral zone is considered within the tackle box. After the initial line charge, these linemen may block below the waist within the tackle box until the ball leaves the tackle box only if the force of the initial contact is directed from the front.
2. Stationary Backs lined up within the tackle box may block below the waist within the tackle box until the ball leaves the tackle box only if the force of the initial contact is directed from the front.

…but, interestingly the Mike cannot cut the FB or the OG (to take them out as blockers / create a “pile”) unless the Mike lines up almost on the LOS and blitzes…

b. Team B prior to a change of team possession:
1. Players aligned in a stationary position within 1-yard of the line of scrimmage within the tackle box may legally block below the waist in the tackle box on their initial line charge.
 #57558  by The Jackal
 Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:19 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Furmanoid wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:

Yes if he gets to him before the ball leaves the tackle box (if it does) AND if he blocks him from the front (the old 10 and 2 rule) and not just an OG. A FB can cut that Mike also…

ARTICLE 6
1. Linemen with initial position completely inside the tackle box may legally block below the waist inside the tackle box on their initial line charge. A block initiated 1-yard beyond the neutral zone is considered within the tackle box. After the initial line charge, these linemen may block below the waist within the tackle box until the ball leaves the tackle box only if the force of the initial contact is directed from the front.
2. Stationary Backs lined up within the tackle box may block below the waist within the tackle box until the ball leaves the tackle box only if the force of the initial contact is directed from the front.

I think one of the judgement calls here is that the "tackle box" is a defined term both horizontal and vertically on the field.

Furman has, over the years, defended the option different ways, but it's not uncommon for them to add depth to the inside linebackers to give them a better opportunity to read the flow of the play.

From my read of the rule, the block has to be initiated pretty much around the line of scrimmage and inside the tackles. I don't necessarily think the linemen can get to the second level and cut a linebacker 4+ yards off the ball running to the play.
 #57559  by apaladin
 Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:58 am
AllTimeFU wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 8:19 am
In regards to the gashes up the middle. I haven’t gone back to review the game, but it seemed like they happened when 0 and 7 weren’t in. I know we rotate our DL a lot, but an offense with a check with me play caller might see that line out and completely change the call to a run up the middle.
So we sub a lot in the DL. Citadel runs 90% of the time so we are subject to get gashed when 0 and 7 are not in the game which I assume will be a lot of the time as much as we sub. That’s worrisome.
 #57560  by FUBeAR
 Fri Oct 07, 2022 11:03 am
The Jackal wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:19 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Furmanoid wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:

ARTICLE 6

I think one of the judgement calls here is that the "tackle box" is a defined term both horizontal and vertically on the field.

Furman has, over the years, defended the option different ways, but it's not uncommon for them to add depth to the inside linebackers to give them a better opportunity to read the flow of the play.

From my read of the rule, the block has to be initiated pretty much around the line of scrimmage and inside the tackles. I don't necessarily think the linemen can get to the second level and cut a linebacker 4+ yards off the ball running to the play.
See if you can find a clear definition and/or schematic of the 2022 NCAA Tackle Box.

You may be right though.

After now reading this 10 times or so, it seems that from the Tackle Box definitions FUBeAR has found that the Tackle Box has no ‘extension’ forward…essentially its front line is the front of the Football, but this phrase - “ block initiated 1-yard beyond the neutral zone is considered within the tackle box” - defines some ‘forward depth’ for it as applies to the cut blocking rule.

So…contrary to FUBeAR’s prior post, it would seem that LB can only be cut IF he lines up or very quickly, at the snaps, steps up to no more than 1 yard back from the LOS.

Yes?
 #57567  by gofurman
 Fri Oct 07, 2022 6:22 pm
All this rule talk has me thinking of Hatcher yapping vs CCH staying classy but sort of accepting his fate. He didn’t seem that animated when he learned the incorrect ruling. I love classy. However, I wonder would we be willing - if we had a call like that Every game that was THAT bad - would I be willing that CCH be a little more animated. Probably.

I say that only bc of the discussion above. I think CCH ought to gently (friendly !!) remind the refs of these rules regarding option blocking pre game.

I think the general best tact is to not yep at refs too much as they tune you out but when you pick a battle…. Go for it
 #57570  by AstroDin
 Sat Oct 08, 2022 7:29 am
gofurman wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 6:22 pm
All this rule talk has me thinking of Hatcher yapping vs CCH staying classy but sort of accepting his fate. He didn’t seem that animated when he learned the incorrect ruling. I love classy. However, I wonder would we be willing - if we had a call like that Every game that was THAT bad - would I be willing that CCH be a little more animated. Probably.

I say that only bc of the discussion above. I think CCH ought to gently (friendly !!) remind the refs of these rules regarding option blocking pre game.

I think the general best tact is to not yep at refs too much as they tune you out but when you pick a battle…. Go for it
Hatcher seemed to go off repeatedly during the game - and the white hat appeared to always be in earshot.

I've read a few people's comments on Twitter that Clay didn't fight as well as Hatcher to get that call to go Furman's way. First, Clay was in the ref's face, and IMO was handling the situation as a college head coach should.

Hatcher's approach appears to be over-the-top demonstrative. Waving his hands up and down, stomping his feet, and screaming so much his face is distorted.

Furman now heads to Charleston to face another coach that can lose it! I'm guessing the refs in today's game are going to be sensitive to the coaches demonstrations about calls.
 #57571  by AllTimeFU
 Sat Oct 08, 2022 8:50 am
I would add our entire team will be nasty and on edge. New morning. Turning point. Winning from here out angrily!
AstroDin liked this
 #57574  by The Jackal
 Sat Oct 08, 2022 9:35 am
Everything still in front of us. We'll have plenty of opportunities to make up for Samford. All of that begins with winning today, though. This starts the part of the schedule (Citadel, Western, VMI) where we need to take care of business.
gofurman liked this
 #57578  by gofurman
 Sat Oct 08, 2022 10:29 am
The Jackal wrote:
Sat Oct 08, 2022 9:35 am
Everything still in front of us. We'll have plenty of opportunities to make up for Samford. All of that begins with winning today, though. This starts the part of the schedule (Citadel, Western, VMI) where we need to take care of business.
Jackal - agree 100% w Chatt and Mercer ( Mercer playing best in conference imo) looming. These 3 are winnable' (tough but doable) -and if we take all 3 everything is there for us. Get to 6-2 and you can really say 5-1 with d2 and Clemson thrown out. Would be back around 25th rank? something like that...

Win Citadel today - this is a MUST WIN. Need to finish 8-3 to have a shot at playoffs barring something odd.

Stop the big Citadel plays. Make them drive the field. Do not let them have long runs even if we give up some 8-10 yard ones. fine.... Don't turn the ball over on O. It may literally be that simple - maybe...
 #57579  by gofurman
 Sat Oct 08, 2022 10:31 am
AllTimeFU wrote:
Sat Oct 08, 2022 8:50 am
I would add our entire team will be nasty and on edge. New morning. Turning point. Winning from here out angrily!
THIS THIS THIS.

***One thing that wasn't mentioned on the board is that one of our OL (OK to post, he said it publicly as radio show even repeated it and his name) said something like "we assumed we could get off the bus and win at CSU". GET ANGRY. PLAY PISSED OFF - beat Citadel !