tim wrote:
Thu Oct 06, 2022 1:55 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:47 am
apaladin wrote:
Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:14 am
The Jackal wrote:
Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:03 am
Offense-wise, we've got to start getting some big plays.

Our offense has been better than it has been the past few years, but we're not getting the big chunk plays in either the run or the pass game. I hope to see us really try to fix that this week.
Agree this is huge!! Very difficult to score many points without big play capabilities. It is unbelievable that the only 20+ yard run by a rb was Roberto’s TD run at the end of the ETSU. We’ve had one long pass play that came against NG on a broken play.
Three yards and a cloud of dust works. It only fails if you can’t do an extended drive without doing something stupid. The FU narrative is that we are disadvantaged by having to use smart kids. So why do we have to worry about killing drives with stupid mistakes? Our smarty pants kids should be able to operate like a machine: no missed blocking assignment, no blown option reads, no false starts or holding penalties, etc. That should be our strength. We shouldn’t rely on big plays when we just aren’t all that fast.

I like our offense OK. The D has been a disappointment. Even NG could move the ball on us.
That FU narrative doesn't work this week. The Bellhops are just as challenged in recruiting as we are. They don't live in the portal either.
Au contraire, mon frere…

…the bellhops have an extensive graduate program that allows them to find a home for most any Graduate Transfer they could convince to join their loser of a Football Program - https://www.citadel.edu/root/graduatecollege

“We offer over 25 graduate degree programs with over 15 concentration options, over 25 graduate certificate programs.”

…and…

the boys of samsonite also have homes for undergraduate transfers - without having to don the suit de marriott - https://www.citadel.edu/root/eveningun ... 2-programs

“The Citadel currently offers 11 College Transfer Programs to students who wish to pursue a bachelor's degree. There are two different paths within the College Transfer Program structure: 2+2 transfer programs and degree completion programs.”

Just like any other state school, the bellhops can recruit almost anyone and get them in school. They, like Chris Hatcher, are just pretty good at presenting themselves as aggrieved victims.
Affirm liked this
 #57519  by MidlandsPaladin
 Thu Oct 06, 2022 2:54 pm
FYI - citadel ticketing website now showing "Standing Room Only". Does that mean there will still be places to sit on visitors side marked "General Admission"? I haven't been since they "upgraded" their stadium and now I'm having second thoughts...
 #57526  by FurmAlum
 Thu Oct 06, 2022 5:29 pm
Citadel is an enigma and somewhat of an embarrassment to the Socon. First they play an OOC game against Campbell and get beat pretty bad, then beat ETSU at home, then get their ass handed to them at ASU 49-0. What a pathetic effort.
You never know when they will show up.

One thing is for sure though, they will show up against Furman. We better be ready to play Saturday! Time to take a little bad ref frustration out on the Bellhops.
 #57527  by Flagman
 Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:49 pm
MidlandsPaladin wrote:
FYI - citadel ticketing website now showing "Standing Room Only". Does that mean there will still be places to sit on visitors side marked "General Admission"? I haven't been since they "upgraded" their stadium and now I'm having second thoughts...
Their upgrade includes visitor side bleachers, like their neighbors up the road in Ladson.
 #57529  by FUBeAR
 Thu Oct 06, 2022 7:36 pm
Flagman wrote:
Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:49 pm
MidlandsPaladin wrote:
Their upgrade includes visitor side bleachers, like their neighbors up the road in Ladson.
Who did it better?

#57530  by apaladin
 Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:13 pm
FurmAlum wrote:
Citadel is an enigma and somewhat of an embarrassment to the Socon. First they play an OOC game against Campbell and get beat pretty bad, then beat ETSU at home, then get their ass handed to them at ASU 49-0. What a pathetic effort.

One thing is for sure though, they will show up against Furman. We better be ready to play Saturday! Time to take a little bad ref frustration out on the Bellhops.
You forgot about getting shutout by Mercer 17-0 the week before ASU. Don’t want to ne negative but could see Citadel matching their season total of 30 points on Saturday. Don’t feel good about this game at all. Afraid of the carryover effect from last week’s debacle.
 #57531  by FUBeAR
 Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:53 pm
Heading into Saturday the bellhops will just be 2 days shy of going a complete month, during the shank of Football season, without scoring a single point.

#57534  by gofurman
 Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:25 pm
FurmAlum wrote:

Note the trend. They have their one decent win at home.. Gettin' whooped on the road. 1 home game - Win. 3 Road games - all losses. Guess where this game is? I have seen strong Furman teams lose in that place. GoFurman and win !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 #57535  by gofurman
 Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:33 pm
apaladin wrote:
Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:13 pm
FurmAlum wrote:

You forgot about getting shutout by Mercer 17-0 the week before ASU. Don’t want to ne negative but could see Citadel matching their season total of 30 points on Saturday. Don’t feel good about this game at all. Afraid of the carryover effect from last week’s debacle.
As coaches often say "don't let one loss become two". If we look lethargic and lose someone needs to be accountable. No reason we should even use Sammy for anything but motivation. NO EXCUSES - if there is a palapable carryover that's bad. A week is plenty of time to just daggon move on. A team of senior, junior, soph has to get over that. I am not really worried about that.

More concerned with don't allow missed assignments - thats what an option offense feasts on. CANNOT have the runs up the middle - just untouched - like v Samford. Cant have the turnovers !!! Option teams want to limit possessions. Turnovers become magnified in lower possession games. And keep the penalties to a minimum. Make Citadel earn every first down - no big runs for 30+ and not many first downs by penalty.

We are a good team this year. I am positive on us. But we are definitely hurting ourselves which is rare for an FU team - turnovers, some missed tackles, and just completely letting people get behind our D (some big blown assignments!)

You can bet we see some wheel routes and various runs to test our assignments (well, the latter is obvious but I bet they might throw in a new pass route to test if lose a man)
 #57541  by Furmanoid
 Fri Oct 07, 2022 7:25 am
Something like stopping the option should be right in our wheelhouse since it’s all about learning an assignment and being disciplined enough to stick to it. And now the great equalizer used by option teams, the cut block, has been taken away (on account of the FBS 300+ pounders complaining that 280 pounders were being mean to them).

Citadel is dumber, has no more talent than us and the foundation of their offense is now a personal foul. Losing this one would be unforgivable. So we aren’t going to lose. Furmanoid’s Loser: Citadel.
 #57542  by FUBeAR
 Fri Oct 07, 2022 7:57 am
The 280 pounders can still cut block the 300 pounders for now, though it is frowned upon by many.
 #57543  by The Jackal
 Fri Oct 07, 2022 8:09 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:53 pm
Heading into Saturday the bellhops will just be 2 days shy of going a complete month, during the shank of Football season, without scoring a single point.

Good season to be a knob. Averaging just 7 pushups a game.
FUBeAR liked this
 #57545  by AllTimeFU
 Fri Oct 07, 2022 8:19 am
In regards to the gashes up the middle. I haven’t gone back to review the game, but it seemed like they happened when 0 and 7 weren’t in. I know we rotate our DL a lot, but an offense with a check with me play caller might see that line out and completely change the call to a run up the middle.
 #57546  by The Jackal
 Fri Oct 07, 2022 8:29 am
Furmanoid wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 7:25 am
Something like stopping the option should be right in our wheelhouse since it’s all about learning an assignment and being disciplined enough to stick to it. And now the great equalizer used by option teams, the cut block, has been taken away (on account of the FBS 300+ pounders complaining that 280 pounders were being mean to them).

Citadel is dumber, has no more talent than us and the foundation of their offense is now a personal foul. Losing this one would be unforgivable. So we aren’t going to lose. Furmanoid’s Loser: Citadel.
It's not cut blocking specifically, but who and where.

The rule change, as I understand it, limits blocking below the waist to linemen inside the tackles and "stationary backs."

Option teams have long relied on their running backs blocking below the waist on the outside. Admittedly, Furman's backs and receivers (and I assume a lot of college teams) utilized similar blocking methods for years, just not as frequently as option teams do.

For instance, from last season, this is likely not a legal block by the Citadel back because he is not "stationary."

This probably also qualifies - below the waist outside of the tackles.

For option teams, this rule change can be a pretty big disadvantage. Requiring them to block from the waist up neutralizes the smaller offensive player's ability to gain the advantage.

As for the offensive linemen, they're going to cut block the heck out of us inside. That part is not going to change.