• Injuries

#57425  by apaladin
 Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:21 pm
I don’t usually pay much attention to injuries as they will happen and you have to deal with them. In the past years when mediocrity was the norm it seems like we had very few njuries,. This year when we had a chance to be good and it seems like the injuries are coming in waves. We lost at least 3 key people for the year before the season started. We have now had about 10 injuries to key peeps since the season started, 2 or 3 more that were season ending. I think the injuries are really startng to show on the defensive side. Think we were missing at least 5 starters on D this past Saturday. So FU has a chance to be good and we get hit hard by the injury bug. Not surprising, FU luck.

PS-did you hear CCH say the injury to Jackson should have never happened? He is correct. Jackson was just jogging toward the play that was over and a CSU player blindsided him. Very dirty.
 #57426  by The Jackal
 Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:34 pm
Probably not as many as you might think. I doubt it is significantly different than a lot of years.

From day 1 starters, I think we were without Jackson (DE) and Achina (Spur) Saturday.

Our ILB "starters" seem to change every week between McCormick, Gilby, Kuzemka, and Sciana. All four of them played Saturday.
 #57428  by gofurman
 Tue Oct 04, 2022 3:01 pm
apaladin wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:21 pm
I don’t usually pay much attention to injuries as they will happen and you have to deal with them. In the past years when mediocrity was the norm it seems like we had very few njuries,. This year when we had a chance to be good and it seems like the injuries are coming in waves. We lost at least 3 key people for the year before the season started.

We have now had about 10 injuries to key peeps since the season started, 2 or 3 more that were season ending. I think the injuries are really startng to show on the defensive side. Think we were missing at least 5 starters on D this past Saturday. So FU has a chance to be good and we get hit hard by the injury bug. Not surprising, FU luck.

PS-did you hear CCH say the injury to Jackson should have never happened? He is correct. Jackson was just jogging toward the play that was over and a CSU player blindsided him. Very dirty.
AP, hey, your stealing my topic... LOL - at least spell it correctly.

JK - Here is what I know

O - obviously Huff at QB, not sure of return. Sounds like he could though if given a few weeks. Week-to-week. Maybe late October.
*What I don't know - didn't he have two years of grad with us... Several of us have asked this - should he take a redshirt does he have two years left??

on D - 42 Jackson starting DE
(#?) --- Achina starting LB - per Astro: Achina tore his pec during the early part of the Clemson game. He's had surgery and is out for the year.
--- 'Backup' 4 Morris at CB, and he was really coming on. ? Back soon ?
--- 5 D Wilkins CB good player is backup and provides strong depth - per Astro: Wilkins, it was mentioned could be back in four weeks - note Furman has a late bye week this season.

I saw Sochovka and Coleman leave v Samford but both returned to my knowledge.

*AP, You mention others are hurt - who??? Who did we lose before the season started???

Any knowledge appreciated ! EDIT per Astro help - Thank you Astro !

pre season per Astro: ------------------
Gerrick Vollmer at OL (UVA and ODU transfer.. any eligibility left?) hurt in pre-season.. and Luke Petit at OL hurt in pre-season

-----------------------------------------
Any Citadel injuries??
Last edited by gofurman on Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
apaladin liked this
 #57432  by AstroDin
 Tue Oct 04, 2022 3:45 pm
CCH
mentioned on Monday show that Tyler was out there - assume on Sunday. Sounds week to week. Again, I'm more than OK with Jace starting at the Citadel.

Wilkins, it was mentioned could be back in four weeks - note Furman has a late bye week this season.

>>>> pre-season

Furman had two freshmen o-linemen leave the program; Maddox Epperson and Caleb Lyons - I have no idea why.
More important, two o-line got injured during contact drills. Both we're going to be counted on heavily. Luke Petit and transfer Gerrick Vollmer. Vollmer has been on the sidelines of every game. He's now in a boot.
gofurman liked this
 #57433  by gofurman
 Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:07 pm
AstroDin wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 3:45 pm
CCH
mentioned on Monday show that Tyler was out there - assume on Sunday. Sounds week to week. Again, I'm more than OK with Jace starting at the Citadel.

Wilkins, it was mentioned could be back in four weeks - note Furman has a late bye week this season.

>>>> pre-season

Furman had two freshmen o-linemen leave the program; Maddox Epperson and Caleb Lyons - I have no idea why.
More important, two o-line got injured during contact drills. Both we're going to be counted on heavily. Luke Petit and transfer Gerrick Vollmer. Vollmer has been on the sidelines of every game. He's now in a boot.
Thank you Astro.

I wondered about the OL specifically. I made a prior post that in years past with other coaches we had very little depth on OL. we had 7/8 guys manning the two deep of 10 men on the OL and was so glad we were past that. Then I noticed we again had that same situation now which is a little scary. 8 guys on the 10 OL two deep. One ankle and you have guys rotating all over the place. I remember being excited about Vollmer as he was recruited by UVA but showed he could start occassionally at ODU. He has to be in his, what, 6th year? Can we get him back or is Vollmer gone after this year??
 #57435  by AstroDin
 Tue Oct 04, 2022 6:08 pm
I've heard yes on Vollmer - Vollmer is enrolled in the new grad program - it's a two-year program.
I would expect him to play next season - and I've heard he's a player too.
 #57439  by apaladin
 Wed Oct 05, 2022 2:34 am
Pretty sure coach said Morris would be ready to go this week.
 #57496  by gofurman
 Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:49 pm
AstroDin wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 6:08 pm
I've heard yes on Vollmer - Vollmer is enrolled in the new grad program - it's a two-year program.
I would expect him to play next season - and I've heard he's a player too.
Astro, Thank you! Much appreciated

Sincerely,
GF
 #57497  by gofurman
 Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:51 pm
apaladin wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 2:34 am
Pretty sure coach said Morris would be ready to go this week.
Cool - i just heard on a pre-game (I think that was where) that he was 'ill' which usually is a short time line to return. I think McCormick was stated as 'ill' and he was back the next game too.

Remember how quickly your body recovers at 20 yrs ol'? Me neither !! :D :D :D
 #57498  by gofurman
 Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:53 pm
Like Vollmer - with Huff at QB, didn't he have two years of grad with us... Several of us have asked this - so should he take a redshirt (it could happen, you never know, ) does he have two years of eligibility left??

Or I guess everyone is expecting he will exceed 4 games this year so it is a moot point? Let's see, I guess he has played in 3 games. NGU, Clemson, CSU (left early in this game). And since I think even one play counts .. So if he enters two more games there is no redshirt.. is that correct? (IE, 5 games kills a redshirt ?)
 #57499  by apaladin
 Thu Oct 06, 2022 2:11 am
GF-4 games, you forgot ETSU.
 #57500  by AstroDin
 Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:30 am
Clay commented on this week's presser - that Furman won't play the hire a player for fall transfer game.

Huff is also in the same two-year grad program.
So is Sochovka - Matt can come back and play again next fall.
Dean is in the grad program.
Adebayo is in the grad program.
Vollmer is in the grad program.
Gissinger is in the grad program.

I think that's it.
Last edited by AstroDin on Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
gofurman liked this
 #57501  by AstroDin
 Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:33 am
This hasn't been mentioned on the board…
Freshman Ethan Harris (true freshmen-originally signed with AFA) is recovered from a pre-season injury.
Harris caught two passes against Samford.

Ethan Harris is another long-body receiver. I think we will see Furman challenge more with our receivers on 50/50 balls.

R Miller 6-2
J Harris 6-2
Shiflett 6-2
E Harris 6-2
Dean 6-1

Also…
Citadel Game Notes are up…
Tyler Huff is listed as Jace's backup.
hypercycloid, apaladin liked this
 #57733  by gofurman
 Sun Oct 09, 2022 1:51 am
O - Great to see Huff. He didn’t run but once though. We will need his running ability to be at full force

on D - 42 Jackson starting DE

(#?) --- Achina starting LB - per Astro: Achina tore his pec during the early part of the
Clemson game. He's had surgery and is out for the year.

--- 'Backup' 4 Morris at CB, and he was really coming on. ? Did he play today v Citadel ?

--- 5 D Wilkins CB good player is backup and provides strong depth - per Astro: Wilkins, it was mentioned could be back in four weeks - note Furman has a late bye week this season..

pre season per Astro: ------------------
Gerrick Vollmer at OL (UVA and ODU transfer.. any eligibility left?) hurt in pre-season.. and Luke Petit at OL hurt in pre-season

-----------------------------------------

My main questions —- Is Ryan Miller ok? I was on radio then learned he left game.

Seth Johnson and someone else on D left game? Did they return ?

THANK YOU in advance for reply and information. Especially on Miller. Hope everyone is ok
 #57734  by AstroDin
 Sun Oct 09, 2022 7:25 am
Coleman and Johnson seemed to get nicked up by some cut blocks - Coleman came back in and played. Not sure about Johnson, but my guess is he's ok.

Miller did come off the field gimpy — I'm hoping with Furman going four corners and putting the game in the fridge with the running game, there was no need to rick Miller having an injury. * A scout was watching Miller at the East/West Shrine bowl game yesterday.

Listening to the coach's comments and the way Huff played yesterday - they didn't want him to risk injury running.

As usual, playing The Citadel in Hagood - was probably the most physical game of the year. Let's hope we came out of the game with just minor bumps and brusies.