• "The Play"

#57386  by apaladin
 Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:29 pm
Hope Hatcher is happy he cost somene their job!
 #57387  by gofurman
 Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:43 pm
FurmanATT wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:53 pm
I just got back from Furman, and I'm still trying to figure out what else has been going on. I'm a little behind -- I'm always at least a little behind -- because I had planned to shoot a photo gallery at basketball practice but that fell through.
But I digress.
I think the officials' ruling ended up being based, the 2nd review and after that informal litigation with Chris Hatcher, on the original lousy call being technically non-reviewable. I think that was the technicality cited.
I told Clay today that after the game, I thought I was going to make him mad at me, but he answered my question before I asked it. The call was cataclysmic, but the Paladins shouldn't have been shattered by it. It's a veteran team, and Luke Clark said as much in a quote I used in my game story. Clay fell on the sword taking the blame for it.
Covering the team and caring about it can be a double-edged sword. There's the possibility of being too easy, but there's also the possibility of being too hard because one has an unreasonably high expectation sometime. I've been doing this a long time and feel as if I can view such matters with enough objectivity, but it's a hard call. I was glad I had a drive home to think about it. FurmanATT.com is geared to Paladin fans, and I think I'm playing it about right. I want Furman to win every game, and it ticks me off when it doesn't. Fortunately, I was in a foul mood all by myself.
That SoCon statement is about as strong as it's ever going to issue. It was an awful, game-changing embarrassment, but it didn't have to change the game as much as it did. I remember a game in the late '70s at VMI when Furman was rolling down the field and a Keydet player was seriously injured. The long delay took the wind out of the offense's sails, and the Paladins got stopped on downs because everything had just gone dead in the delay. I was thinking about that as the comedy of errors unfolded.
Clay said he almost had Coach Bernardi have the team warm up again while the summit meeting was still in progress on the opposite sideline.
I reckon there's no need to agonize further about that which one cannot control. I'm relatively sure the last time I was more stunned by something was a certain overtime shot in the SoCon basketball tournament. I remember when I got home late that night, my photo girl Friday, Elena Davidson, texted that she had "no words" and I texted back that unfortunately, I still had about 400 of them to write.
One would hope it would all even out, but I remember the words of a Midwestern stock car racing star, Bob Senneker, talking about another, Mike Eddy, with whom he had long feuded. He said if he tried to even the score on all the times Eddy had wrecked him, that's all he would ever do. -- MD
This is what I have been saying. It’s a bad call, but not THAT CATACLYSMIC. WE LET IT GET WORSE than a veteran team should. Glad to see I am on board w CCH. Let’s Quit whining and move on.

FYI you said you feared asking the question for fear of CCH getting mad. That’s junk. Pay me 300k you can literally ask me ANYTHING. ANYTHING. I would let you ask my wife personal questions for 300k a year. Lol. Let’s be real here. 300k or whatever covers a lot of sins.

Look I’ll give a factual point of data. Some say the 15 minute delay hurt our momentum. Like a timeout. I Don’t doubt that. At all. You know what may have hurt Samford?? Half-time. A forced TWENTY MINUTE stoppage. It was 20-17 then. Basically a new game. A Veteran team (us) should be able to come out with our heads on straight and basically play one half of football. Especially given a 20 minute time for the coaches to adjust and bust some noggins. “Get out of your funk” type stuff. . Two quarters. But we couldn’t. Third quarter starts . Sammy scores. We lay down. From 20-17 to 34-17. Game. Set. Match. Sammy came out firing and we were still on our heels. One drive on heels? Ok. One quarter? Eh, a little much. TWO QUARTERS of junk? For one bad call. With a half time mixed in so we can reset. NO WAY should a veteran team allow that. Ever
 #57388  by gofurman
 Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:45 pm
apaladin wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:29 pm
Hope Hatcher is happy he cost somene their job!
AP, He didn’t. Many many coaches whine. It’s the refs JOB to know when not to listen !! That’s literally their J.O.B. . I have no sympathy for which refs got admonished. None
apaladin, QCGlue liked this
 #57390  by FurmanATT
 Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:11 pm
GoFurman, I think you misunderstood my point or I didn't communicate it well. I would have asked the question. Clay answered it in his opening remarks. I had no need to ask it and asked something else with my 1st question. I phrased my post in what I meant to be a wry way, not a serious one. -- MD
 #57391  by Thorny
 Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:12 pm
I'm glad the SoCon said something.

/I wanted a detailed explanation of how they arrived at said call and how they can defend giving said call post two reviews...but yeah, we f'd up also works.
 #57392  by The Jackal
 Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:21 pm
Thorny wrote:

/I wanted a detailed explanation of how they arrived at said call and how they can defend giving said call post two reviews...but yeah, we f'd up also works.
I don't think they have an explanation.

To paraphrase a friend, the league had to make a statement because of the risk of this game creating unfortunate precedent. Believe me, the last thing the SoCon wants to do is discipline refs because of egregiously bad calls.

The refs screwed up a bunch of different ways, but perhaps the most drastic was allowing a coach on the losing end of a challenge to basically argue to re-review the already overturned call. If you allow Chris Hatcher to do it, why can't every coach in the league shut down the game for 15 minutes to request review after review?
 #57393  by FurmanATT
 Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:26 pm
I didn't write I "feared" anything. I told Clay today that I thought I might get him mad at me. I complimented him for answering it right off the bat. I admire him for taking responsibility and think the world of him. I don't think Furman could have a better head coach. -- MD
 #57394  by gofurman
 Tue Oct 04, 2022 12:12 am
FurmanATT wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:26 pm
I didn't write I "feared" anything. I told Clay today that I thought I might get him mad at me. I complimented him for answering it right off the bat. I admire him for taking responsibility and think the world of him. I don't think Furman could have a better head coach. -- MD
ATT. We are all good. No worries.

I was either misreading or something was lost in translation / articulation. . I probably “projected “ what I definitely do see … sadly, some very high-paid leaders in both sports and business and politics act above questioning. I do NOT think CCH does this. I have seen other football coaches of less character avoid questions despite making Million dollar salaries. Which is poor on their part.

No problem
 #57396  by FUBeAR
 Tue Oct 04, 2022 12:33 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:21 am
The Jackal wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:00 pm
Bear may remember this, but I think the same ref was involved in a shenanigans review in a Mercer home game on a fumble/not fumble a number of years ago. Tennessee Tech maybe?

My recollection is I've seen him royally screw up calls a few times.
Appropriately…after further review…

Jackal has misremembered and FUBeAR has incorrectly confirmed (and greatly elaborated upon) Jackal’s misremembering - all in error.

2 different SoCon Officials were involved. That said, they both totally botched these separate calls and deserve exponential amounts of our scorn for their incompetence.

Unlike the SoCon though, FUBeAR can delete the results of his error & has done so below.

Apologies for the mistake.

*Jackal & any others who may have quoted this mistake, FUBeAR would be most appreciative if you would take a few minutes and delete FUBeAR’s quoted mistake in your posts. - THANKS!
See above
 #57397  by gofurman
 Tue Oct 04, 2022 12:52 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 12:33 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:21 am
The Jackal wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:00 pm
Bear may remember this, but I think the same ref was involved in a shenanigans review in a Mercer home game on a fumble/not fumble a number of years ago. Tennessee Tech maybe?

My recollection is I've seen him royally screw up calls a few times.
Appropriately…after further review…

Jackal has misremembered and FUBeAR has incorrectly confirmed (and greatly elaborated upon) Jackal’s misremembering - all in error.

2 different SoCon Officials were involved. That said, they both totally botched these separate calls and deserve exponential amounts of our scorn for their incompetence.

Unlike the SoCon though, FUBeAR can delete the results of his error & has done so below.

Apologies for the mistake.

*Jackal & any others who may have quoted this mistake, FUBeAR would be most appreciative if you would take a few minutes and delete FUBeAR’s quoted mistake in your posts. - THANKS!
See above
You may have “incorrectly confirmed” …. But in doing so you “confirmed the SoCon has possibly even a greater number of bad refs! Not just the same guy every time.

Man. They really need to clean this stuff up. Everyone accepts some human error on pass interference etc. Bang bang plays. But this stuff is bad
 #57405  by Roundball
 Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:53 am
Time to move on. All of this talk about players read this board applies to this topic too. The team just needs to suck it up and create its own, “The Play.” Beat The Citadel.
 #57407  by tim
 Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:38 am
Roundball wrote:
Time to move on. All of this talk about players read this board applies to this topic too. The team just needs to suck it up and create its own, “The Play.” Beat The Citadel.
F U
 #57410  by Affirm
 Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:06 am
I don’t understand. (realize some will say that’s no surprise). The SoCon has admitted significant officiating errors and stated that disciplinary measures have been enacted. What do we want - an investigative hearing commissioned by all the conference presidents? It’s only a football game.
Of course, I do wonder how effective the disciplinary action will be for improving officiating competence in SoCon.
 #57411  by Mr. Taggart
 Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:39 am
The Jackal wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:21 pm
Thorny wrote:

I don't think they have an explanation.

To paraphrase a friend, the league had to make a statement because of the risk of this game creating unfortunate precedent. Believe me, the last thing the SoCon wants to do is discipline refs because of egregiously bad calls.

The refs screwed up a bunch of different ways, but perhaps the most drastic was allowing a coach on the losing end of a challenge to basically argue to re-review the already overturned call. If you allow Chris Hatcher to do it, why can't every coach in the league shut down the game for 15 minutes to request review after review?
In MLB, a manager is ejected for arguing a call after review. If the Socon had the same rule, this never would have happened...
 #57418  by The Jackal
 Tue Oct 04, 2022 12:38 pm
Roundball wrote:
The purpose of the thread wasn't to beat a dead horse.

The purpose of the thread was to figure out if anyone actually could understand what the referees saw or were doing on that play.

Turns out the SoCon answered the question for us - the refs screwed up. Unfortunately, it was a turning point in a very important game.