Bootie wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 5:49 am
gofurman wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:01 pm
Bootie wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 7:10 pm
gofurman wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 5:32 pm
Doesn’t matter. Didn’t give them 34 points on one call.

Play on. Winning teams win. Isn’t that what coaches and old players say? Winners find ways to win. We didn’t. Next play. Beat Citadel
It made a huge difference in momentum. Had we gotten the ball and then gone up another score, game would’ve been much different.
Bootie, Agree on momentum. No doubt man. You are right on uncle mo.

But not THAT MUCH momentum. Don’t fumble three times. Don’t let that ONE call swing the next two ENTIRE FREAKIN QUARTERS. Good teams and players don’t let that happen. They. Just. Don’t.

Tom Brady throws a pick. Bad call. What have you. He was Down 28-3 to Atlanta late in Super Bowl @!!!! The Atlanta GM or someone was already celebrating!!! Tom and his team move on to next play. We didn’t. We caved. Bad. Brady gets pissed and comes back at you. All the greats like Jordan etc do. They don’t cave, they get ANGRY

Heck, Stumpy (!) even came in game thread and posted I paraphrase - get ANGRY guys !!! The great Stumpy felt it was worth jumping in
I don’t agree. Yes, that much momentum.

FU up with 2-score lead, 10-0, Samford gets the whacko call to retain possession and they then go score to make it 10-7 when FU had been moving the ball very well and was threatening to go up 3 scores, potentially making it 17-0 at that point. That is a huge difference in terms of player/team confidence, prolly causing Samford to play on their heels and FU to play sensing that weakness. Suppose after that there’s one more samford punt and fu score, suddenly it’s 24-0, samford wonders if they have what it takes, and FU smells blood and both teams play that way. Most teams wouldn't recover. Obviously there’s no guarantee that’s how it would’ve played out, but I believe that kind of momentum is more powerful than you think.
Bootie, Oh I do agree somewhat. But did that one call really MAKE US FUMBLE THREE TIMES? That's kinda ridiculous to argue.

People seem to be forgetting that without our 3 fumbles we probably win. NO, that call doesn't make us FUMBLE. We did. That is in our control and we blew it.

Can't imagine a player running with the ball thinking "oh, I hated that call I better funble this ball as I am still upset" ! LOL Yes, I use hyperbole but you get my point.
 #57348  by palafan
 Mon Oct 03, 2022 1:54 pm
Mr. Taggart wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:13 pm
Word around the HQ is that the Crew Chief has "resigned."
He had a purdy Alabamer accent, and needs to be taken to the Ol' Number Six Dance. Fred Garvin will know that reference.
AstroDin liked this
 #57351  by Bootie
 Mon Oct 03, 2022 2:04 pm
gofurman wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 1:22 pm
Bootie wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 5:49 am
gofurman wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:01 pm
Bootie wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 7:10 pm
gofurman wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 5:32 pm
Doesn’t matter. Didn’t give them 34 points on one call.

Play on. Winning teams win. Isn’t that what coaches and old players say? Winners find ways to win. We didn’t. Next play. Beat Citadel
It made a huge difference in momentum. Had we gotten the ball and then gone up another score, game would’ve been much different.
Bootie, Agree on momentum. No doubt man. You are right on uncle mo.

But not THAT MUCH momentum. Don’t fumble three times. Don’t let that ONE call swing the next two ENTIRE FREAKIN QUARTERS. Good teams and players don’t let that happen. They. Just. Don’t.

Tom Brady throws a pick. Bad call. What have you. He was Down 28-3 to Atlanta late in Super Bowl @!!!! The Atlanta GM or someone was already celebrating!!! Tom and his team move on to next play. We didn’t. We caved. Bad. Brady gets pissed and comes back at you. All the greats like Jordan etc do. They don’t cave, they get ANGRY

Heck, Stumpy (!) even came in game thread and posted I paraphrase - get ANGRY guys !!! The great Stumpy felt it was worth jumping in
I don’t agree. Yes, that much momentum.

FU up with 2-score lead, 10-0, Samford gets the whacko call to retain possession and they then go score to make it 10-7 when FU had been moving the ball very well and was threatening to go up 3 scores, potentially making it 17-0 at that point. That is a huge difference in terms of player/team confidence, prolly causing Samford to play on their heels and FU to play sensing that weakness. Suppose after that there’s one more samford punt and fu score, suddenly it’s 24-0, samford wonders if they have what it takes, and FU smells blood and both teams play that way. Most teams wouldn't recover. Obviously there’s no guarantee that’s how it would’ve played out, but I believe that kind of momentum is more powerful than you think.
Bootie, Oh I do agree somewhat. But did that one call really MAKE US FUMBLE THREE TIMES? That's kinda ridiculous to argue.

People seem to be forgetting that without our 3 fumbles we probably win. NO, that call doesn't make us FUMBLE. We did. That is in our control and we blew it.

Can't imagine a player running with the ball thinking "oh, I hated that call I better funble this ball as I am still upset" ! LOL Yes, I use hyperbole but you get my point.
No, it did not make us fumble 3x, nor did I suggest that it did. Point being, had we gone up 3-4 scores on them, ASSUMING those fumbles still happened later on, we could've absorbed them and survived.
palafan liked this
 #57354  by MidlandsPaladin
 Mon Oct 03, 2022 2:21 pm
AllTimeFU wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:17 am
Doesn't bring me any satisfaction at all.

What do you say we pick this up tomorrow at Paladin Stadium, 10-0 Furman, 1st and 10 Furman on the Samford 24, and put around 10 minutes to go in the second quarter back on the clock.

2:30 tomorrow afternoon work for everyone?
Chuckles, AstroDin, FUBeAR and 1 others liked this
 #57356  by MidlandsPaladin
 Mon Oct 03, 2022 2:28 pm
Alternate idea...SoCon are you listening...

In the event of a tie for SoCon championship amongst Furman and any other team(s), if breaking the tie proceeds to any criteria beyond head-to-head results, Furman gets the automatic tiebreaker.
Last edited by MidlandsPaladin on Mon Oct 03, 2022 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
palafan, QCGlue liked this
 #57357  by Davemeister
 Mon Oct 03, 2022 2:30 pm
AllTimeFU wrote:

Where can Furman go for Justice? Don Vito Corleone?
 #57358  by palafan
 Mon Oct 03, 2022 2:30 pm
MidlandsPaladin wrote:
AllTimeFU wrote:

What do you say we pick this up tomorrow at Paladin Stadium, 10-0 Furman, 1st and 10 Furman on the Samford 24, and put around 10 minutes to go in the second quarter back on the clock.

Exactly
 #57364  by AllTimeFU
 Mon Oct 03, 2022 3:15 pm
MidlandsPaladin wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 2:28 pm
Alternate idea...SoCon are you listening...

In the event of a tie for SoCon championship amongst Furman and any other team(s), if breaking the tie proceeds to any criteria beyond head-to-head results, Furman gets the automatic tiebreaker.
I have actually been thinking the same thing. That's about the only fair thing that can be done at this point.
MidlandsPaladin liked this
 #57375  by gofurman
 Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:42 pm
Sadly this happens on a mush bigger scale all time. Teams CHEAT on purpse - much worse than a referee mishap - and win the title and then they take the title away (I am looking at you Louisville basketball 2013 etc) and then what happens to help the teams that Louisville team eliminated in the NCAA tourney? Nothing. Louisville shouldn't have been there.. and you can't play the Madness Tourney over again. A true sports travesty. In an ideal world, you would redo the tourney but of course all the guys are gone or working jobs and 5 years older now. Can't happen. Must be super painful for all the teams, especially the ones that directly lost to Lousiville. And that's just ONE example. Numerous examples of teams PURPOSELY CHEATING and winning. Later title vacated but no one really is given a title for that year... So Sad

Think if we lost to Sammy in a semifinal game of FCS playoffs and they were later vacated of the wins because they Cheated (illegal FBS transfers, NCAA violations, what have you). But we would never get another shot at that game or the final. I have seen this several times in college. Especially basketball
 #57378  by FurmanATT
 Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:53 pm
I just got back from Furman, and I'm still trying to figure out what else has been going on. I'm a little behind -- I'm always at least a little behind -- because I had planned to shoot a photo gallery at basketball practice but that fell through.
But I digress.
I think the officials' ruling ended up being based, the 2nd review and after that informal litigation with Chris Hatcher, on the original lousy call being technically non-reviewable. I think that was the technicality cited.
I told Clay today that after the game, I thought I was going to make him mad at me, but he answered my question before I asked it. The call was cataclysmic, but the Paladins shouldn't have been shattered by it. It's a veteran team, and Luke Clark said as much in a quote I used in my game story. Clay fell on the sword taking the blame for it.
Covering the team and caring about it can be a double-edged sword. There's the possibility of being too easy, but there's also the possibility of being too hard because one has an unreasonably high expectation sometime. I've been doing this a long time and feel as if I can view such matters with enough objectivity, but it's a hard call. I was glad I had a drive home to think about it. FurmanATT.com is geared to Paladin fans, and I think I'm playing it about right. I want Furman to win every game, and it ticks me off when it doesn't. Fortunately, I was in a foul mood all by myself.
That SoCon statement is about as strong as it's ever going to issue. It was an awful, game-changing embarrassment, but it didn't have to change the game as much as it did. I remember a game in the late '70s at VMI when Furman was rolling down the field and a Keydet player was seriously injured. The long delay took the wind out of the offense's sails, and the Paladins got stopped on downs because everything had just gone dead in the delay. I was thinking about that as the comedy of errors unfolded.
Clay said he almost had Coach Bernardi have the team warm up again while the summit meeting was still in progress on the opposite sideline.
I reckon there's no need to agonize further about that which one cannot control. I'm relatively sure the last time I was more stunned by something was a certain overtime shot in the SoCon basketball tournament. I remember when I got home late that night, my photo girl Friday, Elena Davidson, texted that she had "no words" and I texted back that unfortunately, I still had about 400 of them to write.
One would hope it would all even out, but I remember the words of a Midwestern stock car racing star, Bob Senneker, talking about another, Mike Eddy, with whom he had long feuded. He said if he tried to even the score on all the times Eddy had wrecked him, that's all he would ever do. -- MD
AstroDin, Chuckles, Bootie liked this
 #57380  by Stosh
 Mon Oct 03, 2022 5:17 pm
Oddly enough, a very similar situation occurred in the Nebraska/Indiana game on the very same afternoon - if I recall correctly, the call on the field was 'incomplete pass', but on review (and apparently it's one per customer in the Big Ten), that call was changed to 'interception'.

I don't know how to imbed a video, but if anyone's interested, they can view the play at the Cornhusker fan site linked below; it occurs at roughly the 3:04 mark, with a really clear shot of the event in the replay that follows.

Bootie liked this
 #57381  by Bootie
 Mon Oct 03, 2022 5:27 pm
Stosh wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 5:17 pm
Oddly enough, a very similar situation occurred in the Nebraska/Indiana game on the very same afternoon - if I recall correctly, the call on the field was 'incomplete pass', but on review (and apparently it's one per customer in the Big Ten), that call was changed to 'interception'.

I don't know how to imbed a video, but if anyone's interested, they can view the play at the Cornhusker fan site linked below; it occurs at roughly the 3:04 mark, with a really clear shot of the event in the replay that follows.

Wow, nearly an exact play. Thanks for sharing. The video posted perfectly and the link starts right at the mark.
 #57383  by FUBeAR
 Mon Oct 03, 2022 5:52 pm
MidlandsPaladin wrote:
AllTimeFU wrote:

FUBeAR’s getting ready. He will be there…
MidlandsPaladin liked this
 #57385  by Sad Din
 Mon Oct 03, 2022 6:11 pm
First good on the SoCon for admitting this. Not every Conf would have done it

Second, this is so infuriating as a fan.. can only imagine as a coach. This is people's livelihood and to be impacted by somebody esles incompetence must be mind blowing. The potential revenue loss can also be significant.

Third, Hatcher should also be reprimnaded. He should not have challenged the challenge. This should have been an immediate 15 yd penalty.

The SoCon should have NFL referees for the remainder of Dins games. And as for he Dins, they should be spitting fire the rest of the season. I pity the bell hoops becuase there's some venting needing to happen
AllTimeFU, AstroDin, dornb and 3 others liked this