• "The Play"

#57316  by The Jackal
 Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:42 am
AstroDin wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:18 am
Back to Hatcher…

Hatcher pitched a fit - he stomped his feet and kept moving his hands up and down like a three-year-old pitch a fit. That seems to be his standard reaction to any play call that seems to go against Samford. That is what got the ref's attention. He then held up the play as Hatcher kept pitching a fit and screaming. I had my binoculars on him the entire time.

I also watched Clay trying to have a conversation with the ref on the Furman sideline - that ref didn't engage with Clay. Which IMO is what should have happened on the Samford sideline.

The reverse call was one thing-the time delay was another. It gave Samford time to regroup, and I believe Furman had subbed in its 2nd team in the backfield as Samford went into a uber-up-tempo mode. I played basketball in HS. You call a time-out to stop the bleeding when things like this happen. I think the Furman coaches and team were caught flat-footed by the moment.

Listening to Hendrix's comments post game, he seemed more annoyed by the fact that Hatcher got a "five minute explanation" than the call itself.

I suppose the idea is that the refs are supposed to tell you what they called and why and then move on.
 #57317  by FUBeAR
 Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:43 am
FUBeAR has a few questions…

Saw the play live from a good vantage point in the endzone. Saw the Furman Player take possession and make the pick.

Believe, but don’t know, that the ruling on the field was a complete pass for Samford.

Thought, but don’t know, that they did the initial review, not for completion/possession, but for targeting. FUBeAR was excited they were reviewing because he saw the pick, saw it wasn’t targeting, and knew they would see the pick on review, see no targeting, and would correctly award FU with possession of the ball…the latter of which we KNOW happened, after the careful review…before the Officiating crew morphed into a smack of Cnidarians (gonna have to look that one up, aren’t ya?), they correctly ruled FU’s ball.

Questions
1) What was the initial call on the field? There had to be one…they have to have something to have “Stand,” “Confirm,” or “Overturn.”
2) Was the initial review for targeting or for possession of the ball/completion of the pass/fumble?
3) If it was ruled on the field as a complete pass (as FUBeAR thought)…and there was no review for targeting, why (and by whom or upon whose request) was a review initiated anyway … if no change of possession was ruled on the field?

just seeking clarity / more knowledge of the occurrence and the replay rules/procedures.

Game is over. Beat the bellhops. Make those losers pay for what happened this past Saturday.
 #57318  by curiousfan
 Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:50 am
I also think that officials got the play wrong in the fourth quarter when the Samford WR highpointed the ball, landed on both feet, began to turn, and Robinson punched the ball out….should have been a forced fumble and FU gets the ball back!
AstroDin, tim, QCGlue liked this
 #57323  by MidlandsPaladin
 Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:47 am
FUBeAR wrote:

Saw the play live from a good vantage point in the endzone. Saw the Furman Player take possession and make the pick.

Believe, but don’t know, that the ruling on the field was a complete pass for Samford.

Thought, but don’t know, that they did the initial review, not for completion/possession, but for targeting. FUBeAR was excited they were reviewing because he saw the pick, saw it wasn’t targeting, and knew they would see the pick on review, see no targeting, and would correctly award FU with possession of the ball…the latter of which we KNOW happened, after the careful review…before the Officiating crew morphed into a smack of Cnidarians (gonna have to look that one up, aren’t ya?), they correctly ruled FU’s ball.

Questions
1) What was the initial call on the field? There had to be one…they have to have something to have “Stand,” “Confirm,” or “Overturn.”
2) Was the initial review for targeting or for possession of the ball/completion of the pass/fumble?
3) If it was ruled on the field as a complete pass (as FUBeAR thought)…and there was no review for targeting, why (and by whom or upon whose request) was a review initiated anyway … if no change of possession was ruled on the field?

just seeking clarity / more knowledge of the occurrence and the replay rules/procedures.

Game is over. Beat the bellhops. Make those losers pay for what happened this past Saturday.
No one can answer your questions because the $#@#% referee microphone never seems to work in our stadium!

But it had to initially been ruled a catch because they marked off a two yard gain and changed the down marker to second down. It was just announced that the play was under review - targeting was never mentioned. When they gave us possession and Hatcher was allowed to argue for an eternity, I thought he was trying to get a targeting call. In my mind that was the only way the initial call could have been overturned. There is no way he caught that ball. Furman ball or incomplete were the only two logical outcomes and we got neither.
 #57326  by The Jackal
 Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:12 am
FUBeAR wrote:

Questions

1. I think the ruling on the field had to be catch and tackle for limited/no gain.

2. There was no indication that there was a review for targeting. When they review targeting, there's a flag, penalty assessed, and indication that the play is under review. None of that happened. I think Hendrix appealed the call for determination of there was a turnover.

3. I think the review can be initiated upstairs. The head coach can take a timeout for review if they want. I do not know whether Hendrix initiated the review or the referees initiated the review.
 #57331  by FUBeAR
 Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:25 am
…and FUBeAR thinks a targeting review can be initiated from the booth - without the flag.

You may be 100% right though…FUBeAR just thought he heard the Refs on the field (not on the PA) say something about Targeting. Not sure. Hard to hear them…but they had no trouble hearing FUBeAR after the BS call…for the rest of the game.

All those dudes have rabbit ears and will actually talk back to fans when they’re being verbally flayed (without profanity and certainly with nothing even resembling any type of threat) instead of being Professionals, ignoring the static, and doing their job. Coach Hatcher knows that and knows how to use their insecurities and lack of professionalism to his advantage. Good for him. Bad for the SoCon. Really bad.
 #57334  by palafan
 Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:36 am
AllTimeFU wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:17 am
SoCon: Oh well, sorry.

That was the difference in the game. As Scott Keeler noted in his article, play was stopped for thirteen minutes. We had momentum on our side and had them on their heels six yards from the red zone.

To answer the original question, there is no answer. It shouldn't have happened, and there should be a remedy.

Why can't the bad officiating ever be for us?
AstroDin, Bootie liked this
 #57336  by FUBeAR
 Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:45 am
Pretty sure he knew his Daddy, Grandaddy, and Momma an’ ‘em.
Last edited by FUBeAR on Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #57337  by The Jackal
 Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:50 am
Does anyone recall the SoCon office admitting they had botched a call in a game and were disciplining the referees?

As bad as the officiating can sometimes be, you gotta be on another planet bad for the League Office to issue a statement like that.
Bootie, gman84, dornb liked this
 #57338  by AllTimeFU
 Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:09 pm
Can't let one bad call lead to another loss. Got to go execute. It's a great life lesson for these young men. Life won't always been in your favor and you still have to suit up for the next meeting and go win the day. It was said before. Go get angry and win out.
AstroDin, dornb liked this