#57170  by FU3
 Sat Oct 01, 2022 5:56 pm
Pathetic? Some of you need to get a grip. Samford is a talented FCS team that is going to win a bunch of games. There is still a sizable bit of difference in how our starting QB runs our O and how our backup does. We had receivers wide open on deep routes and he either didn’t see him them or badly missed them. Don’t think anyone is going undefeated in Socon this year… win the next one.

#57172  by DungeonRealm
 Sat Oct 01, 2022 6:04 pm
Last edited by DungeonRealm on Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
bj93, apaladin liked this
 #57181  by purplehorse
 Sat Oct 01, 2022 7:12 pm
Having watched Furman football for 50 plus years it hurts to see where we have been and where we are now. When App State and GaSouthern moved UP and the playoffs expanded from 16 to 24 teams, I thought we would be in the playoffs every year. Paladin stadium was packed in 2004 and 2005.

So the reality now is we might get in the playoffs every 5-10 years. Many FU fans are aging. The future of Furman football does not look bright at all.

I had hoped Bobby Lamb could do it and then Bruce Fowler and then Clay Hendrix. Maybe it is just too much parity OR the academics at Furman OR the cost of scholarships etc.

Having been a Furman football fan my whole life I just don’t think a mediocre program can survive. I can see why so many have quit coming to Furman games.

Good teams find ways to win. Today we found ways to lose. It was a TEAM loss. No doubt in my mind we are a better team with Huff at QB than Wilson but JW does not play defense. I do not ever remember seeing our run defense be so bad (their running back who had no TD’s this year scored 3 TD’s running right up the middle). Our offense was inconsistent. We deserved to lose. I thought we had enough talent to win this year but we have gone down hill since the Clemson game. The # of turnovers the last two weeks, the inconsistent offense, the absence of big offensive plays on our part, the big explosive plays we are giving up etc.

I hope we run the table. We control our own destiny for the most part as no way Sammy runs the table. But the last two weeks we have been pretty bad. I am hopeful but not optimistic as it seems to be “same ole same ole” as the fan base continues to dwindle.
bj93, Affirm and 1 others liked this
 #57182  by FU3
 Sat Oct 01, 2022 7:23 pm
The “ fan base” has bloomed nicely the past few years. Attendance is up significantly and the fan experience exceeds anything we had previously. College sports ( football in particular) is rapidly changing and it will be difficult given our academic requirements and non transfer culture to replicate the glory years. We have talent and some depth finally. Let’s see if Jace can progress week to week and how quickly our starter can heal before we decide this season is over.
FUBeAR, Davemeister liked this
 #57190  by purplehorse
 Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:50 pm
FU3 wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 7:23 pm
The “ fan base” has bloomed nicely the past few years. Attendance is up significantly and the fan experience exceeds anything we had previously. College sports ( football in particular) is rapidly changing and it will be difficult given our academic requirements and non transfer culture to replicate the glory years. We have talent and some depth finally. Let’s see if Jace can progress week to week and how quickly our starter can heal before we decide this season is over.

The absolute numbers could be UP but many of us go to watch a good football team play good football . Many couldn’t care less about all the promotions to make it a great family experience. Having said that, I commend Dwight and everyone else. I just don’t go for any reason other than football AND I always hope we are competing for a Southern Conference and a playoff berth.
apaladin liked this
 #57192  by gman84
 Sat Oct 01, 2022 10:05 pm
The only thing pathetic today was the officiating. It was a game we basically screwed up. Three critical turnovers, pre-snap penalties in the red zone, inability to tackle allowing for chunk plays are not characteristics of good teams. These are all things that are correctable. I also saw a Samford team that showed a sense of urgency and capitalized on our mistakes. We got away with mistakes at CSU, not today.
Bootie, AstroDin liked this
 #57202  by gofurman
 Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:30 am
gman84 wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 10:05 pm
The only thing pathetic today was the officiating. It was a game we basically screwed up. Three critical turnovers, pre-snap penalties in the red zone, inability to tackle allowing for chunk plays are not characteristics of good teams. These are all things that are correctable. I also saw a Samford team that showed a sense of urgency and capitalized on our mistakes. We got away with mistakes at CSU, not today.
THIS. You are so right. Many peeps said about CSU “we had a gutty comeback for a win !” Absolutely true and factual ! No debate the fact there. We did get out with a W. Seriously. Not anyone in particular just different views. No big deal

But myself and others noted at CSU we had FOUR TURNIVERS. penalties. Safety. . No breakaway plays. Allowed two breakaway plays. Looked lethargic. Couldn’t win the LOS when we had the ball in the first half. Vs CSU? Those were also facts. FOUR TURNOVERS at CSU. A safety. Good grief.

We Said we can’t beat good teams - Sammy - like that. And we didn’t. THREE TURNOVERS. Screw it. Can’t win vs Sammy like that.

If we don’t cut out turnovers we ain’t winning many. Personally I think we beat citadel. Western vim etc which is why this hurt so bad. I saw a run of wins coming to get to 7-1 before Chatt and Mercer. Now hoping for 6-2 heading to Chatt Mercer
 #57204  by FUBeAR
 Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:36 am
DungeonRealm wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 4:38 pm
Its time for Furman to make the right decision and put all money into basketball
 #57205  by FUBeAR
 Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:38 am
DungeonRealm wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 4:47 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 4:45 pm
Good grief. There's still a quarter to play.
I've seen enough to know FU football and piss ant little socon football is going absolutely nowhere
 #57206  by FUBeAR
 Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:39 am
affirm wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 5:45 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 4:38 pm
Its time for Furman to make the right decision and put all money into basketball
Pioneer Football League exists.
 #57207  by FUBeAR
 Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:41 am
DungeonRealm wrote:
FU3 wrote:
Pathetic? Some of you need to get a grip. Samford is a talented FCS team that is going to win a bunch of games. There is still a sizable bit of difference in how our starting QB runs our O and how our backup does. We had receivers wide open on deep routes and he either didn’t see him them or badly missed them. Don’t think anyone is going undefeated in Socon this year… win the next one.
Neither team that played in this game today is going to do anything noteworthy this year
You know nothing about Football. FU off.

#57209  by DungeonRealm
 Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:46 am
Last edited by DungeonRealm on Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #57210  by FUBeAR
 Sun Oct 02, 2022 1:06 am
DungeonRealm wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:46 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:41 am
DungeonRealm wrote:
FU3 wrote:
Neither team that played in this game today is going to do anything noteworthy this year
You know nothing about Football. FU off.

I know plenty son

Most importantly I know putting money into socon football is a total waste

Either go big or go home, I am tired of this small time crapola that socon football has become
Yep - sure - come find FUBeAR’s alter-ego at the next FFPA Tailgate & introduce yourself.

You can tell him how much you know about Football live & in person.

People there will know who is FUBeAR’s IRL alter-ego and will be able to point you in his direction.. You won’t have any trouble finding him.

Just call him “son” when you introduce yourself so he’ll know it’s you.

#57211  by DungeonRealm
 Sun Oct 02, 2022 1:09 am
 #57217  by AstroDin
 Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:12 am
DungeonRealm - you're not going to get many pats on the back losing your sh#t over a loss. Also, calling a former Furman football player… son is uncalled for.

I'm not wasting my time responding to your overreaction on the game and how bad Furman and Samford are.

But I will make it my mission if it gets further out of hand.
Last edited by AstroDin on Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.