• Today’s Attendance

#5705  by Affirm
 Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:46 pm
What are the comparative attendance figures for other private FCS schools, especially ones that are within 100 miles of 3 major FBS schools. What are comparative attendance figures with schools such as Wofford, Mercer, Samford, Elon, Richmond, Villanova, Lehigh, Lafayette, Bucknell, Colgate, Holy Cross, Abilene Christian, Incarnate Word, Houston Baptist, etc.?
Where do we stack up with them? For those we trail, what do they do, or have, that we do not? By the way, I am not sure any of those I named are within 100 miles of 3 major FBS programs?
Last edited by Affirm on Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #5707  by The Jackal
 Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:43 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:01 pm
Jackal, I am sorry if I offended by using the word Yankee. And you are right, students from the upper latitudes are a minority at Furman. But the student population is very geographically diverse. And it is perfectly natural for them to go home after graduating. Since even alumni are unlikely to drive more than a couple hours for an FCS game, having your alumni scattered all over hell is a challenge. It wasn’t always that way. In my father’s era Furman was mostly a fairly local thing. So when you had decades worth of Furman people accumulated near Furman I’m betting that made it easier to sell tickets. Maybe I’m wrong but no need to be so nasty about it.

If you think you can get northern transplants to start going to Furman games go for it. But while I agree with you about how pleasant FU game days are, I am one of very few people I know who would consider going to a non fbs game. People just aren’t into it. So I doubt there will be many takers.

I think some other posters are on the right track with the ticket giveaway idea. I would especially target all youth football leagues in the area. You get the coaches to bring their teams. If the kids have fun (and they will) they talk their dads into bringing them back. And you grow a local base. But price has to be looked at. A Furman game shouldn’t cost more than some SEC games.
You aren't offending me. I have not a drop of Yankee blood in my body. I will say that I knew some very big Furman fans from the upper reaches, though. They bled purple and white along with the rest of us.

There's always a concern with getting complacent in what you do because it is what you've always done. As far as I know, there has never been a survery or audience poll about "what can we do to improve the game day experience?" If you keep doing what you've always done and expect different results, that's just dumb.

I may be one of the few, but the ability to live stream games actually keeps me from coming to a number of home games. That is more because I am one of the poor unfortunate souls who has to battle the entirety of Atlanta traffic from Newnan to Commerce to make it to Greenville. 15 years ago that was a 3.5 hour drive. Now it can take upwards of 6. Same distance.
 #5708  by Affirm
 Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:46 pm
Suggestion to increase attendance, increase game day experience and atmosphere:
At 3 home games each season, one early season, one mid, and one late season, incorporate one or more of the Furman student CHORAL groups into the in stadium, on field activity. This would be in cooperation and/or coordination with the outstanding Paladin Regiment instrumental group. The choral and instrumental components could be combined at times, but the choral groups should perform separately occasionally. Choral groups would perform only 1, 2, or 3 numbers. It would be done in a very special, dignified manner. Could potentially include national anthem, alma mater, other special meaningful songs, and could include singing as part of the band’s halftime performance. Try to make sure the choral group is involved with singing one number after the game, occasionally at least - possibly moving the alma mater to then.
Implementing this overall suggestion would increase attendance because it would further engage the following in attending the games:
1. The students who belong to those groups.
2. Parents or other family of those in 1
3. Friends of those in 1
4. Current game attendees who enjoy the addition coming to games more often
5. Current non-attendees who find out about the addition and decide to attend because they would be attracted by it
Again, to summarize and emphasize: add CHORAL groups to the in-game experience for fans in a special, dignified, effective manner.
 #5709  by Flagman
 Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:05 pm
tim wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:28 pm
Wonder what they're doing at WCU? Good attendance, bad football record.
Check their attendance before and after halftime. Most of their “fans” come for the band. Their fans exit quickly after the band performs.
 #5710  by apaladin
 Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:11 pm
The choral group used to sing the national Anthem at one home game. Haven't seen them in a couple of years. Good idea but they would need to be part of halftime and post game to keep peeps there.
QCGlue liked this
 #5713  by Flagman
 Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:34 pm
I dare say that there are fewer than 10 students currently enrolled at Furman who grew up being Furman fans. As has been noted, leadership of cheers can be enhanced. Our PA announcer isn’t very good at generating crowd enthusiasm. Bootie and his crew in section 8 who started the m
“Move those chains” cheers did a lot to help in this regard. We haven’t had a “mike” man with a microphone and powered speakers in 15-20 years. Not since President Smolla has the president led the FU 1 time cheer. We had a student attempt the cheer at the citadel game in Charleston. While the effort was noble, the execution was pathetic. Perhaps it was alcohol influenced. It has been mentioned on many occasions that CLP credit should be given for student attendance. It’s probably not going to happen because of faculty opposition, but isn’t football part of our culture. We also need to educate our incoming students about the traditions and heritage of Furman football. I like some of the ideas mentioned here. Maybe (but not likely) someone who can make these happen visits this forum.
gofurman liked this
 #5716  by The Jackal
 Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:47 pm
Flagman wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:05 pm
tim wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:28 pm
Wonder what they're doing at WCU? Good attendance, bad football record.
Check their attendance before and after halftime. Most of their “fans” come for the band. Their fans exit quickly after the band performs.
It's also a tiny mountain town. I suspect at least some of Furman's issue is that Greenville is a neat city with plenty of things to do.
Flagman liked this
 #5719  by Affirm
 Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:17 pm
Another suggestion to increase attendance:
What about a prize of cash or a retailer(s) gift card(s) for the winners of drawings held on Monday after each home game?
To be eligible for the drawing, holders of paid tickets would have to scan their tickets upon gate entry both before end of Q1 and after end of game (Q4 or overtime periods). It would be computerized and involve scanning ticket. The prize would be sent to the winner by 1 week after the game. Individuals could win a maximum of 1 time per season. Prize value each week would be at least $300, thus costing $1500/yr plus cost of administering and publicizing.
 #5720  by Affirm
 Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:21 pm
apaladin wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:11 pm
The choral group used to sing the national Anthem at one home game. Haven't seen them in a couple of years. Good idea but they would need to be part of halftime and post game to keep peeps there.
Have them perform pre-game + half-time sometimes and half-time + post-game sometimes. Requiring them all to be there for 4 full hours AND perform would be onerous (even though Paladin Regiment does it) to the extent of making it not work.
 #5722  by FUpaladin08
 Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:15 pm
I think there are plenty of good ideas in this thread on how to build attendance once Furman starts winning games, and league titles, consistently. It’s up to the team and coaches now to make that happen. Nobody wants to watched sub-500 football. One thing that will really help is staying in the top 25 and getting home playoff games. Those games tend to be played while the FBS teams wait for their bowl games. I think there’s a huge opportunity to get butts in seats for meaningful playoff games, against teams with the potential to travel, and bringing teams to Greenville our local people might recognize.

I know we are on the right track, but we’ve lacked the constant winning seasons it takes to keep up attendance and the National reputation we once had. Win games constantly and we’ll see the people, reputation, and game day experience return to Paladin Stadium.

Trivia question: when was the last time Furman hosted a playoff game?
Answer: too long if you have to Google it.
dornb, gofurman liked this
 #5723  by gofurman
 Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:28 pm
Paladawg wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:16 pm
It is heartening to see the responses here. There are some good individual suggestions. It is clear that many people responding understand the equation between winning (including getting out of the gate fast) and the size of the crowd. For us, there is little we can do about the winning part. I know there are some wannabe coaches on the forum. I'm not aware we have anyone who is actually on the staff right now providing input.

I know some people like Sluggo :D like to schedule harder games. And I know he could beat me up. :D

But if it's costing us attendance that has to be taken into the equation. Why? Because I actually asked a few people to come with me this year and they asked "what's Furman's record.?" I responded "0-2. ". "Later 0-3. ". They said "I'll pass ". They don't have a tie to the school so they want to come only if we are winning.

Less attendance leads to less atmosphere leads to harder recruiting !! That's big. That's why I say maybe FBS, Elon and Gardner Webb. Get a win in there. Start 1-1.

Helps player morale. Helps practice our basics. Helps encourage some attendance. Gives us better shot at playoffs ! If we could quit these 0-3 starts it would do tons for playoff chances ... And recruits want to play where they can go to the playoffs. Heck, if we were 1-1 to start this year we would probably be in control of making the playoffs
Paladawg liked this
 #5726  by fupaladin01
 Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:48 pm
My suggestion? Hire JDew to manage gametime operations. Drive games were a blast for the last decade due to his enthusiasm and crowd pleasing skills. He’s currently employed for Clemson men’s and women’s b-ball. If contractually he can’t work for another university in the fall, at least bring the man in to consult.
FUpaladin08 liked this
 #5728  by AHB1188
 Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:37 pm
To Paladawg's point, the university could do something as simple as surveying season ticket holders about their experience following each season (or even an automated follow-up e-mail for people who purchase a single game ticket online. The Braves send you an e-mail the day after the game you attended that contains a thank you and recap of the game). I work at an SEC West institution and attended football, basketball, and baseball games in the last calendar year. After each sport concluded its season, I received an e-mail survey regarding the gameday experience. Although the e-mail actually came from the SEC, I'm sure the results are shared with member institutions.

Furman could do something similar for football, basketball, baseball, soccer, etc. It would be a fairly painless way to generate actual data on the experience.
Paladawg wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:16 pm
It is heartening to see the responses here. There are some good individual suggestions. It is clear that many people responding understand the equation between winning (including getting out of the gate fast) and the size of the crowd. For us, there is little we can do about the winning part. I know there are some wannabe coaches on the forum. I'm not aware we have anyone who is actually on the staff right now providing input.

What we should be focused on is generating discussion about the larger strategy. Gman pointed out that the game-day experience is terrible. I agree. There is no organized effort to consider every aspect that can generate some enthusiasm. There are a few individual pieces in place, but it is clear that there is no strategic thought on how to engage people who otherwise aren't connected to Furman through the game day experience. It feels like there are a lot of disparate pieces thrown together without any consideration on how they fit. The band, the cheerleaders, the dancers, the promotional giveaways all have the feel that they are out there on their own. There is no central strategy on how to engage the crowd.

Here are a couple of examples I've noticed of fairly simple things that just don't get done anymore. The cheerleaders and dancers are parked down there side-by-side the whole game. They used to change ends of the home side by quarter. Does it matter? If you can generate some enthusiasm on both ends of the stadium, yeah, it matters. People in the crowd need cues on when to respond. "Another Farm Bureau insurance FIRST DOWN." Sounds straightforward. Obviously requires some leadership. Has anyone told the cheerleaders, dancers, or band their role is to lead that effort? Doesn't appear so. When the old t-shirt toss used to occur, it was done with what I suppose you call an air cannon. Now it is done by cheerleaders who can't get the shirts five rows up. Simple stuff that shouldn't cost much. Furman, for some reason, finds it distasteful to do the FU 1 time cheer. I've noticed that there are a band of renegades who have started it back. Good for them. All those things make a difference in the game-day experience. The only thing out of the three that is now happening is because somebody said, "We're gonna do the FU 1 time" cheer. It's planning and leadership that pays attention to those details. I don't see that happening. I will leave the complete lack of continuity with the DJ out of this. I bet a group of ten people could sit down and make a lengthy list of things that could be done that provide direction to the crowd on how to be engaged. It might be as simple, as my son pointed out, of surveying season ticket holders to understand what they see and experience.

I don't believe tv is the culprit. It keeps some people home, but I dare say, those people aren't staying home to watch Furman. They are staying home to watch FBS games. If the experience is good, people will come. In terms of revenue, it is clear there is an asset sitting empty across the way because Furman's opponents these days don't travel well, unless the bellhops get bussed in. That being the case, discount tickets on the visitor's side to youth groups. In fact, if the cost of getting a family in is an issue, charge full price for adults and let kids in for $5 each. When I was in high school, you could drive to Clemson and sit on the bank for $5 with a "high-school ticket." It wasn't very valuable real estate back then. When the value of something goes up, increase the price, but until it does, use group sales and the same tactics minor league sports use to fill the seats. When demand goes up, take prices up with the demand.

If you are a Paladin Club member and a season ticket holder, stop for a minute and think about how much communication you get from the athletic department. In my case, very little. Email is free. I can't see that it is being used in any strategic way. It appears Furman's whole communication strategy is around Twitter and the web page. How many of you are active Twitter users? Furman has to get out in the community to sell athletics. It has been done before. It can work, but there has to be a consistent, years-long strategy. And it needs to be done on a relationship basis.

I think there is hope for Furman. The on-field product is great. Furman is finishing 1st and 2nd in the Commissioner's and Germann cups on a regular basis. Furman athletics has to be more intentional about getting its name out in the community, not just the Furman community. There are three retired guys that sit behind me that live at the Woodlands. They did not grow up in Greenville. Others have already pointed out that there are people flocking to Greenville. What will it take to get them engaged? I think Furman can draw decent crowds. Winning will make a difference, but optimizing the outcome of having a good team takes outreach in a world awash in other activities. The question is whether Furman has the will to do it and whether we are willing to be part of it.
 #5729  by apaladin
 Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:53 pm
affirm wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:46 pm
What are the comparative attendance figures for other private FCS schools, especially ones that are within 100 miles of 3 major FBS schools. What are comparative attendance figures with schools such as Wofford, Mercer, Samford, Elon, Richmond, Villanova, Lehigh, Lafayette, Bucknell, Colgate, Holy Cross, Abilene Christian, Incarnate Word, Houston Baptist, etc.?
Where do we stack up with them? For those we trail, what do they do, or have, that we do not? By the way, I am not sure any of those I named are within 100 miles of 3 major FBS programs?
Without boring you with figures, here is a recap:
Wofford- Slightly better than FU this year but everyone knows WC attendance figures are greatly exaggerated.
Mercer- Much better than FU.
Samford- FU is better.
Elon- Elon is better. This one has flipped recently because of their winning consistently.
Richmond- Better tha FU but their attendance is almost exact every game. Makes you wonder.
Villanova- FU is better.
Lehigh- FU is much better
Bucknell- FU is much better.
Holy Cross- HC is better
Lafayette- FU is much better.
Colgate -FU is much better even though they are undefeated.
Hou. Bapt.- FU is much better
I-Word- FU is much better.
ACU- Much better than FU, but they are new to D-1.
These are just based on this years figures.
FWIW- Someone has already mentioned this but we no longer have GSU and ASU that brought thousands as a visiting team. I bet UTC did not have 75 peeps yesterday. Current SoCon teams do not travel well at all. Citadel will but they have to be having a good season.
 #5736  by gman
 Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:34 am
Out of curiosity, I checked North Greenville’s attendance figures. They are averaging 3,242 fans a game this year. Most high school games draw more that that.