#57162  by gofurman
 Sat Oct 01, 2022 5:30 pm
with only ONE guy back on the KO? why not kick it to a vacated area?? Its a LIVE BALL !!! Kick it deep where the one guy is not. Then go for it. That adds one more option to just a deep kick
*Am I mistaken about the live ball???

curious the answer here. Or if they signal fair catch doesn't he still have to go get it and with one guy back maybe - its an additional chance at least - we get it?

Am I misunderstanding ?
 #57169  by jesse174
 Sat Oct 01, 2022 5:55 pm
again the double review bad call ruined this game. I have never seen such an awful lack of competence by those refs and then getting talked into changing the call was an embarassment for the league and for Furman and their coaches for letting Hatcher push the refs into a double review and blatantly incorrect call....
dornb, FUBeAR liked this
 #57178  by FU3
 Sat Oct 01, 2022 6:37 pm
This was really inexcusable officiating. You hold up the game for 15 minutes, reverse a booth call and then offer no explanation. They had bad mechanics and seemed plain lost at times. They were about to enforce a 5 yard penalty for illegal touch ( only loss of down) and exactly one official noticed right before the snap. No one is going to like every call but these coaches and athletes work way to hard to have to deal with this level of incompetence.
dornb, FUBeAR liked this
 #57183  by purplehorse
 Sat Oct 01, 2022 7:34 pm
Paladin91 wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 5:16 pm
This team is going nowhere with Wilson at the helm. Inaccurate throws all day.
JW is a good backup QB. Just does not have the accuracy on his passes or the size to carry us to a Southern Conference championship. We need another Frankie Debusk or Ingle Martin or Chris Forcier or maybe a healthy Tyler Huff to be relevant. We have really struggled at QB the last 4-5 years.
 #57186  by FurmAlum
 Sat Oct 01, 2022 8:05 pm
Coach said at halftime interview "I haven't ever seen that before in college football" referring to the double reversal call.

That was like getting punched in the gut.

I thought Jace played well except for a few throws that missed their target. There is no way we planned on throwing it that much and it was good that he threw that many times without an interception. If we could have scored after the correct call and made it 17-0 we could have run the ball more and limited Samford's possessions and likely won the game.

No question the fumbles killed us in the second half. As for the defense, we got caught in blitzes on those long runs and just grabbed air instead of ball carrier. Defense played better in 4th quarter.

Samford is a good team and the season is not over after 1 conference loss. Need to take care of business and beat Citadel next week.
FUBeAR liked this
 #57187  by apaladin
 Sat Oct 01, 2022 8:07 pm
To tell you the truth I was not impressed by SU at all. Of course that doesn’t say a whole lot about FU either. Anyone else? I thought they were a very beatable team.
Last edited by apaladin on Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #57188  by Bootie
 Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:02 pm
This was never supposed to be an easy game. We lost 3 fumbles that gave Samford 14 points. That was huge, regardless of the replay fiasco.

We were better, statistically in most categories:

Total yards
Pass yards
(Samford had 4 more rushing yards)
3rd downs
4th downs
Penalty yards
Time of possession

We also didn’t allow a score again in the fourth quarter.

Definitely would’ve been an entirely different game if we had gotten that turnover.

We played a good, top 25 team to the wire even with losing three turnovers and at least one more to referee incompetence, while playing our backup qb and lost a close one. It’ll take more than that for me to throw in the towel on our team, coaches or season.
FU3, Paladin82, FUBeAR liked this
 #57203  by gofurman
 Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:34 am
Bootie wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:02 pm
This was never supposed to be an easy game. We lost 3 fumbles that gave Samford 14 points. That was huge, regardless of the replay fiasco.

We were better, statistically in most categories:

Total yards
Pass yards
(Samford had 4 more rushing yards)
3rd downs
4th downs
Penalty yards
Time of possession

We also didn’t allow a score again in the fourth quarter.

Definitely would’ve been an entirely different game if we had gotten that turnover.

We played a good, top 25 team to the wire even with losing three turnovers and at least one more to referee incompetence, while playing our backup qb and lost a close one. It’ll take more than that for me to throw in the towel on our team, coaches or season.
Agree man. Go beat Citadel. And we are missing others too :D

You have to wonder if an additional D starter might have helped. Heck as great as 4 CB has been playing behind Blackshear now 4- Morris?- was out. But 42 Jackson being out hurts, hope he is back soon.

Also,agree it was going to be tough game. regardless. That’s why I was surprised to see so much confidence here that we would win. “We have better O and better D “ type quotes were posted. NOT calling anyone out just one I recall. . Do we have better O AND D than Samford?? How are we sure. With backup QB, missing a few guys do we?

I was asked to justify that “western is a decent team” when I made that statement. I wonder if we could justify that “ Furman has a better O AND D than Sammy” ? I mean we went head to head AT HOME and lost. Sure we gave three turnovers but that’s on us. No excuses

ANYWAY
Beat Citadel !!!!!!!! I feel skeered
 #57208  by apaladin
 Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:45 am
GF-unfortunately Jackson is out for the year. He had knee surgery. He was hurt last week on a dirty play. He was jogging toward the play, 5+ yds away, that was essentially over and a CSU player grabbed him from behind and threw him down. Just a dirty play by the CSU guy. Morris and Wilkins are out indefinitely.
 #57214  by gofurman
 Sun Oct 02, 2022 2:35 am
apaladin wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:45 am
GF-unfortunately Jackson is out for the year. He had knee surgery. He was hurt last week on a dirty play. He was jogging toward the play, 5+ yds away, that was essentially over and a CSU player grabbed him from behind and threw him down. Just a dirty play by the CSU guy. Morris and Wilkins are out indefinitely.
Thanks for info man. Any on Achina?

Also, sure on Morris ? They said on radio he was ‘sick?
 #57221  by The Jackal
 Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:07 am
apaladin wrote:
To tell you the truth I was not impressed by SU at all. Of course that doesn’t say a whole lot about FU either. Anyone else? I thought they were a very beatable team.

Samford was very beatable.

We ended up losing focus for a few drives and that put us in a spot where we had to chase the game. The fumble inside of our 10 yard line really changed everything. At that point, we had to largely abandon the run game.

Bottom line, it was expected to be a close fairly high scoring game, and it was. We came out on the wrong side. Admittedly, a lot of the issues were on us. The refs didn't fumble the ball, Furman did.

I don't believe any team is going to run the table in this conference, so it's time to refocus and get ready for next week.
 #57241  by Davemeister
 Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:27 am
The Jackal wrote:

Turns out we were even more beatable. Furman was out-coached, out-played, and out-officiated.

Flush it and forget it. We've got a game to win in Chucktown next weekend.
 #57247  by apaladin
 Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:36 pm
The Jackal wrote:
apaladin wrote:

We ended up losing focus for a few drives and that put us in a spot where we had to chase the game. The fumble inside of our 10 yard line really changed everything. At that point, we had to largely abandon the run game.

Bottom line, it was expected to be a close fairly high scoring game, and it was. We came out on the wrong side. Admittedly, a lot of the issues were on us. The refs didn't fumble the ball, Furman did.

I don't believe any team is going to run the table in this conference, so it's time to refocus and get ready for next week.
The winner of Mercer and UTC “could” go undefeated. One team that has to run the table is FU. One more loss and SoCon title is gone and 90% chance of no playoffs as a 7-3 unranked team is not getting in. No mulligans left. Beat Citadel.