• SoCon Week 5

#56925  by The Jackal
 Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:17 pm
Samford @ Furman
Mercer @ Wofford
The Citadel @ App State
VMI @ Western Carolina
UTC @ ETSU

Two huge games on the slate this week with Samford/Furman and UTC/ETSU.

WCU needs to avoid a let down with VMI. Cats are the better team, but VMI plenty good enough.

Would love to see the Citadel beat App, I just don't think it's going to happen.

Mercer on back to back road games. I think this will be an interesting barometer for Wofford. If they are blown out here, it's going to be a long season.
 #56928  by FUBeAR
 Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:16 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:17 pm
Samford @ Furman
Mercer @ Wofford
The Citadel @ App State
VMI @ Western Carolina
UTC @ ETSU

Two huge games on the slate this week with Samford/Furman and UTC/ETSU.

WCU needs to avoid a let down with VMI. Cats are the better team, but VMI plenty good enough.

Would love to see the Citadel beat App, I just don't think it's going to happen.

Mercer on back to back road games. I think this will be an interesting barometer for Wofford. If they are blown out here, it's going to be a long season.
*Mercer has never won (since rebirth) in Spartanburg.
* Won’t say who, but 2 key Players - 1 on each side of the ball - limped off for Mercer near the end of the game. They did not return, but with the score as it was they may have just not needed to.
* Wofford prolly gained a lot of confidence @ Kennesaw. They played the Owls about as close as they ever have. If their QB just releases the ball, they prolly complete the 2 point conversion near the end of that game and it certainly could have gone in the other direction.
* With WCU (always chippy games with Mercer) up the following week and Mercer getting a lot more love in the polls with their Gardner-Webb beatdown…

…this week has all of the elements of a “trap game” for the Bears. We’ll see if they can handle ‘prosperity.’
 #56936  by Davemeister
 Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:39 am
Visions of Ankle-Biters setting Bear traps in the woods.
FUBeAR liked this
 #56972  by DungeonRealm
 Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:36 am
A very interesting week in the SoCon, no doubt
 #56989  by AllTimeFU
 Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:20 pm
Any thoughts on UTC at ETSU? Big game.
 #56990  by The Jackal
 Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:47 pm
AllTimeFU wrote:

Game is in Johnson City. UTC hasn't played an FCS team the caliber of ETSU yet. Bucs cannot afford to lose any more SoCon games.

I think we'll find out a good bit more about what UTC is made of as well.
 #56991  by The Jackal
 Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:48 pm
I realize there's been upheaval in the SoCon the last 10 years or so.

Still, it's kinda fun to look at the schedule and see big games every week.

It wasn't that long ago there were really on three big games a season in conference play: Furman/App, App/GSU, Furman/GSU.
hypercycloid liked this
 #56992  by FUBeAR
 Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:07 pm
AllTimeFU wrote:
ETSU is going to have to find a way to give Riddell time to throw and/or be very good in the quick game or they have no chance in this game.

OR

Chatt could make a plethora of (perhaps weather-related) Special Teams gaffes that determine the outcome. They’ve been known to spit the bit on the regular.
 #57048  by DungeonRealm
 Sat Oct 01, 2022 6:41 am
The Jackal wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:48 pm
I realize there's been upheaval in the SoCon the last 10 years or so.

Still, it's kinda fun to look at the schedule and see big games every week.

It wasn't that long ago there were really on three big games a season in conference play: Furman/App, App/GSU, Furman/GSU.

However, those were not just big socon games, they were 'giant' FCS games
 #57059  by Davemeister
 Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:19 am
DungeonRealm wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 6:41 am
However, those were not just big socon games, they were 'giant' FCS games

Especially the game in Boone when ASU tore down their own goalpost and used them to skewer the GSU Team bus.