#56769  by The Jackal
 Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:00 pm
gofurman wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:56 pm
I’d love to hear comments on their offensive speed at WR and mainly the TB. that dude was dropping our guys left and right.
They scored 19 points. One touchdown was on a short field after a turnover.

They had some speedy guys. We held them in check most of the day. They got space on - what - two or three plays?
din23 liked this
 #56771  by gofurman
 Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:19 pm
The Jackal wrote:
gofurman wrote:
I’d love to hear comments on their offensive speed at WR and mainly the TB. that dude was dropping our guys left and right.

They had some speedy guys. We held them in check most of the day. They got space on - what - two or three plays?
We won. I’m Glad. I am

Just that we got ‘space’ on what? ZERO plays. Just not seeing the speed. Can’t win big games without it. You can’t. As today showed against an inferior team if you have to maintain long drives you often get a penalty or misfire that is a drive stopper.

Again I would rather win! But I wish we also had the breakaway stuff. I’m not seeing it. Hope win em all but I see tough sledding without breakaway speed. That’s all. Looking for a long J Harris catch and run on a Saint or something.

To show how killer (great ) speed is… CSU wouldn’t have been in the game at all without the two big gainers where we didn’t (the 90 yd pass) or barely (80 yd run) catch their speedsters. Without that they are killed by us. Literally that almost won it for them. They basically couldn’t maintain a drive. Speed will cover a lot of problems. Like threes in basketball. Hope we have some.

A huge positive. We held y to hem to 3-14 on 3d down. WOW. And we were 3-3 on 4th dwn. Clutch !!
apaladin liked this
 #56775  by AllTimeFU
 Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:59 pm
Just a tough game. Don't underestimate the impact of losing your center. He makes the calls and is the glue. Starting on your goal line multiple times when you are already not in an offensive rhythm is sand in the gears to put it lightly. We got the win. Let's hope Jumper is back next week and we have 2 healthy QBs. I thought it was Huff's shoulder last week, but saying elbow this week. This was a big learning game. 3 road games in a row. First overnight game for travel. The coaches and players will breakdown some film, learn some lessons and turn the attention to Sammy. I'd also think the OC will learn a few things as well as special teams. It was a great, great learning experience and we won. Those don't always go hand in hand.
apaladin, AstroDin, dornb and 1 others liked this
 #56779  by AllTimeFU
 Sun Sep 25, 2022 12:07 am
AllTimeFU wrote:
Just a tough game. Don't underestimate the impact of losing your center. He makes the calls and is the glue. Starting on your goal line multiple times when you are already not in an offensive rhythm is sand in the gears to put it lightly. We got the win. Let's hope Jumper is back next week and we have 2 healthy QBs. I thought it was Huff's shoulder last week, but saying elbow this week. This was a big learning game. 3 road games in a row. First overnight game for travel. The coaches and players will breakdown some film, learn some lessons and turn the attention to Sammy. I'd also think the OC will learn a few things as well as special teams. It was a great, great learning experience and we won. Those don't always go hand in hand.
Also had the fumble, non-fumble, call on that return deep in our territory that resulted in easy points.
 #56783  by Flagman
 Sun Sep 25, 2022 2:57 am
gofurman wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
gofurman wrote:

We won. I’m Glad. I am

Just that we got ‘space’ on what? ZERO plays. Just not seeing the speed. Can’t win big games without it. You can’t. As today showed against an inferior team if you have to maintain long drives you often get a penalty or misfire that is a drive stopper.

Again I would rather win! But I wish we also had the breakaway stuff. I’m not seeing it. Hope win em all but I see tough sledding without breakaway speed. That’s all. Looking for a long J Harris catch and run on a Saint or something.

To show how killer (great ) speed is… CSU wouldn’t have been in the game at all without the two big gainers where we didn’t (the 90 yd pass) or barely (80 yd run) catch their speedsters. Without that they are killed by us. Literally that almost won it for them. They basically couldn’t maintain a drive. Speed will cover a lot of problems. Like threes in basketball. Hope we have some.

A huge positive. We held y to hem to 3-14 on 3d down. WOW. And we were 3-3 on 4th dwn. Clutch !!

Is it always cloudy where you live, also?
MNORM liked this
 #56786  by gofurman
 Sun Sep 25, 2022 4:06 am
Flagman wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 2:57 am
gofurman wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
gofurman wrote:

We won. I’m Glad. I am

A huge positive. We held them to 3-14 on 3d down. WOW. And we were 3-3 on 4th dwn. Clutch !!

Is it always cloudy where you live, also?
Not. At. All.

Just OBJECTIVE. Truthfully. Please - . Which team had more speed / jail-break players or big chunk plays that you saw on the field today. Us or CSU?? . Answer me that?. I don’t mean to be rude. Just asking. Answer truthfully. I don’t see any answer other than CSU.

Look. It’s just a weakness I see. Every team has em. No team is perfect.. That’s. A fact. I see it as no one is perfect …. Therefore let’s talk about what we have good and bad. I think others agree no one is perfect so they move with well since no one is perfect let’s just move on.. to me this latter way of thinking is weird and, truthfully, counterintuitive since the whole POINT of a MESSAGE BOARD is discussion and thus hey “ what did you see today”. .. which leads to what was good and bad from our guys who I support 110%

Eeyore I ain’t. Objective I am.

To show objectivity I had a huge miss. Huge. I didn’t notice we lost Jumper?? If so we lost our center and QB. That’s huge. I’ll put in injuries thread. Man we are getting too thin

Qb. Center. Huge connection there. That’s a killer. Also. Blackshear best CB. Achina spur?

My miss on Jumper. That probably hurt us

It’s CRAZY how defensive people on this board are. Why can’t we be fair about “hey we are good at this and not at this?” Really asking. What’s so hard about that ??

Every other board I go to - yes - SPORTS , but also money , investing what have you is more FACTUAL and objective than ours (and goPaladins is great compared to Clemson and SEC boards. LOL. WAY BETTER and calmer here
 #56787  by gofurman
 Sun Sep 25, 2022 4:08 am
AllTimeFU wrote:
When did Jumper leave the game? Or did he never play? Thanks.
I noticed Blackshear never played as I was checking that. Didn’t check Jumper.
 #56792  by AstroDin
 Sun Sep 25, 2022 6:41 am
Some of you need to listen to the pre-game show.
Hunter Reid always gives an update and if there are any roster changes.

Jumper out with a mild concussion-he never played yesterday.
Hughes got the start at center, and Lamb got his first college start at guard.
I believe I noticed Hundley and Wilson getting snaps too.

Blackshear out Dom Morris got the start. Not sure if there is much drop-off between these two as starters, but not having Blackshear limits the sub-packages.

Bryce McCormick had been ill all week and didn't practice - Dan Scianna got the start. IMO this is a big deal. McCormick has been the leader on D and playing very well.

Gritty win and a lesson all around for fans and the team, you can never take a win for granted.

One of Clay's comments after the game stood out to me. Furman didn't play with a sense of urgency. I think Monte hit on a lot of it in his post. Still—there are many things Furman can take from Saturday and build on.

Jace came in and led this team to victory. He made plays with his feet and arm. Yes, he made one bad throw and missed a receiver or two on a couple of plays. We don't win the game without him.
FUBeAR, Bootie, MNORM liked this
 #56793  by gman84
 Sun Sep 25, 2022 6:45 am
AstroDin wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 6:41 am
Some of you need to listen to the pre-game show.
Hunter Reid always gives an update and if there are any roster changes.

Jumper out with a mild concussion-he never played yesterday.
Hughes got the start at center, and Lamb got his first college start at guard.
I believe I noticed Hundley and Wilson getting snaps too.

Blackshear out Dom Morris got the start. Not sure if there is much drop-off between these two as starters, but not having Blackshear limits the sub-packages.

Bryce McCormick had been ill all week and didn't practice - Dan Scianna got the start. IMO this is a big deal. McCormick has been the leader on D and playing very well.

Gritty win and a lesson all around for fans and the team, you can never take a win for granted.

One of Clay's comments after the game stood out to me. Furman didn't play with a sense of urgency. I think Monte hit on a lot of it in his post. Still—there are many things Furman can take from Saturday and build on.

Jace came in and led this team to victory. He made plays with his feet and arm. Yes, he made one bad throw and missed a receiver or two on a couple of plays. We don't win the game without him.
Exactly!!
 #56836  by saltyshaker
 Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:47 pm
absolutely.jace could easily be discouraged.not only not winning the starting job but hearing we planned on playing two qb's then only getting minimal snaps vs clemson and none at etsu or at chas southern until the injury.instead he kept working and was ready when his time came.and while he did not play perfectly ,he played well and gave us the spark we needed to come back and win.kudos to you jace!
 #56864  by FurmanATT
 Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:50 am
It's a recurring thought of mine when reading the board.
The other team tries, too. Give CSU credit.
High school Friday night -- I was up till 3 -- leaves me unable to get to North Charleston for a noon start. I covered it from TV as best I could -- no byline when I'm not there -- and tried to make it valuable by getting my story out quickly. I can't wait till Saturday.
I felt great for Jace. I'm glad we've got him. He's an exciting player. I've enjoyed talking with him and getting to know his dad a little.
I covered Tyler at PC and feel great for him, too. It would be hard to find two more impressive young men.
The Laurens County Sports site is flourishing. FurmanATT.com is growing steadily in page views but has a lot of catching up to do. Football and basketball are in great shape.
Help me spread the word when you get the opportunity.
See you at the stadium on Saturday. I'm off to Greenville for Clay's media conference shortly. -- MD
FUBeAR, dornb liked this
 #56865  by The Jackal
 Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:56 am
saltyshaker wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:47 pm
absolutely.jace could easily be discouraged.not only not winning the starting job but hearing we planned on playing two qb's then only getting minimal snaps vs clemson and none at etsu or at chas southern until the injury.instead he kept working and was ready when his time came.and while he did not play perfectly ,he played well and gave us the spark we needed to come back and win.kudos to you jace!

Wilson isn't as big as Huff, but he strikes me as being a little shiftier of a runner. When Huff runs, he looks like he wants to punish someone for daring to tackle him. Wilson looks a bit more evasive.

In the limited action Saturday, Wilson did some good things in the passing game. He had a nice 50/50 ball down the sideline to Harris, which is a play we may take a few shots on from time to time. He probably wants back the 4th quarter interception, which looked like Ryan Miller probably could have walked in for a touchdown on a better thrown ball. I liked that the coaching staff called plays where he was able to get to the edge and make a decision to run or throw.

Our apparent lack of overall team speed is obvious on this play where our QB just outruns the entire CSU defense for a touchdown.

This is also a really nice savvy move by Wilson here. The little shoulder feint to Anderson forces the linebacker to come up into the flat and vacates the space behind him for Miller to get free. Again, our lack of overall speed is evident as our 220+ lbs tight end burns right past the CSU defensive back.