#56738  by The Jackal
 Sat Sep 24, 2022 4:16 pm
A few thoughts on the offense.

CSU largely did what ETSU did - their linebackers aggressively attacked the gaps in the run game. We struggled to run in between the tackles like we did against ETSU. I'm wondering if this isn't a product of us primarily using two bigger backs that aren't ideal for cutting back - and perhaps why we saw more Kendall Thomas (who is).

We attempted to respond similarly to how we did last week - get the QB to the edge. If you stuff the middle, then something has to be open on the edges. Largely, this worked - Huff and Wilson did a decent job in the run game.

We tried to go 2x2 formations with a lot of width, trying to force CSU to get out of the box and defend the field horizontally. Our backs found some room in those looks.

We had some success using their aggressiveness against them. On Miller's touchdown, we play action, then fake the dump to the running back, get them out of position and throw behind them.

Again, we knew there would be some growing pains offensively. Outside of the ugly play and turnovers, the offense moved the ball well at times. Just glad to have gotten the win.
apaladin liked this
 #56739  by FU3
 Sat Sep 24, 2022 4:21 pm
Don’t think anyone will argue this game was a clunker.But we have played really well in 2 games ( one of them against a top 10 FBS team)this season and beat (a now underrated) ETSU away.We are 3-1 and have everything to play for.This team has talent but our QB’s don’t have a ton of game experience and we will end up as good as they are. Our current OC’s ability to both teach and adjust play calling to their skill sets is the reason he was hired, and IMO it will pay off in the long run. By the way why is it posters who bitch and whine the most during games appear to know little or nothing about football? At least the entertainment value post game is high.
AstroDin liked this
 #56740  by The Jackal
Defensively, we looked strong.

Blackshear didn't play according to the stat sheet. We'll give up some big plays in the passing game this year as a product of our aggressive style up front. When push came to shove, though, our guys stepped up, forced turnovers, and made plays.
 #56741  by The Jackal
FU3 wrote:
Don’t think anyone will argue this game was a clunker.But we have played really well in 2 games ( one of them against a top 10 FBS team)this season and beat (a now underrated) ETSU away.We are 3-1 and have everything to play for.This team has talent but our QB’s don’t have a ton of game experience and we will end up as good as they are. Our current OC’s ability to both teach and adjust play calling to their skill sets is the reason he was hired, and IMO it will pay off in the long run. By the way why is it posters who bitch and whine the most during games appear to know little or nothing about football? At least the entertainment value post game is high.

Not to mention our third straight road game.
 #56751  by Affirm
 Sat Sep 24, 2022 7:13 pm
FU3 wrote:
It is a good thing to have high entertainment value.
It is great to have very intelligent commentary on this board by people who do know the most about football. But there also needs to be an entertainment component in addition to the science of football component. Both are valuable. Usually the mix is generally good.
By the way, the great majority of the people who attend the games and support the program probably, in your terminology, know “little to nothing about football”. Most of the people who enjoy college football know "little to nothing about football." Let them speak if they want to, if what they have to say is not TOO stupid.
Last edited by Affirm on Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
apaladin liked this
 #56753  by tya1
 Sat Sep 24, 2022 7:40 pm
Even very good teams have a clunker once in a while. We had one today but came home with a win in a game where we turned it over four times, lost our starting QB. and had to start two possessions close to our own goal line. Our backup QB lead the team to a come from behind win and the defense made big plays in the 4th quarter - always good for building confidence.
dornb, apaladin, AstroDin and 3 others liked this
 #56756  by Flagman
 Sat Sep 24, 2022 8:03 pm
You’re right. It wasn’t pretty, but it was a win. I get tired of listening to some of you who can’t understand that football is a game of highs and lows. We certainly had some lows. I recalled CSU’s game against Western. They are very capable of having those big play opportunities. Their RB’s are slick as are their receivers.
We had a good contingent of loyal Furman fans who made the trip. To those who refuse to attend away games, I have nothing to say. FUATT
AstroDin, Paladin82 liked this
 #56763  by gofurman
 Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:38 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Defensively, we looked strong.

Blackshear didn't play according to the stat sheet. We'll give up some big plays in the passing game this year as a product of our aggressive style up front. When push came to shove, though, our guys stepped up, forced turnovers, and made plays.
agree blackshesr didn’t play. I was watching. They targeted number 4 in his place. A LOT. A LOT. and he did great. Though I don’t know who fell behind on the coverage on the 90 yard TD.

That doesn’t concern me so much. They looked FASTER. that’s concerning. Their huge reception for TD our corners were falling over at his ankles and couldn’t catch recvr. Same w RB leaving us for 80 yards. Hell push him
Out of bounds - if you recall the play. We weren’t as fast. And their TB made us miss SOO many tackles a former player told me that our tackling was shit. We looked slow vs their speedsters.

You. Can’t. Change. Speed.

You can change plans and tactics but not raw speed. I had no idea they would be breaking our ankles. Lol
Last edited by gofurman on Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
apaladin liked this
 #56764  by gofurman
 Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:47 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 3:46 pm
This game was total shit show, I expected better
You deserve better

Here’s why. Start on 2 yd line. Illegal formation or false start - something. Next play… SAFETY. crap show that. How often does FU give up a safety? Damn

Great to overcome and win. But that was a crappy performance for a team - us - that prides itself on smart execution—-. 4 TURNOVERS, 7 penalties and a safety

Good to get out w a win but the last two weeks haven’t been pretty and the constant is we have had a LOT. LOT. Of turnovers.
Can’t hand it to Mercer or Sammy or SoCon teams 4 - 4! - times on turnovers.

Let’s go Furman
 #56766  by The Jackal
 Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:55 pm
FurmanFan23 wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:51 pm
Am I the only one concerned with the Huff and Jackson injuries??
Injuries are part of the game. Ideally, we don't want them to happen.

Wilson came off the bench cold. If he has to spend this week being the guy, then he'll be ready.

In case anyone was wondering, Jace Wilson started against Samford last season and we put up 500+ yards and 41 points.
 #56767  by gofurman
 Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:55 pm
I am. IT MATTERS. HUUUUUUUUGE in FCS or any level but especially FCS. Huff was killing it and we need him healthy and on target.

People loved his tough block on last game last play long run and I wondered should a guy with a hurt elbow at QB be blocking like that? Hmm. LOVE THE TOUGHNESS. I get it. Anyhoo…