• At ETSU

#56314  by FU3
 Sat Sep 17, 2022 10:56 pm
Wasn’t pretty but a gutsy road win… our D line play was lights out.
FUBeAR, dornb liked this
 #56315  by tya1
Great defense down the stretch. The announcers kept talking about how much fresher the Paladin D looked and credited the Furman depth. We were running by the ETSU offensive line with ease late. Our offense was a little inconsistent but we made enough plays when we needed them. How fast is Huff? He roared up from behind to help block for the last TD.
dornb liked this
 #56316  by FurmAlum
 Sat Sep 17, 2022 10:59 pm
Wow! What a good win but it wasn't easy. I bet I sweated off 5 lbs. in the 4th quarter.

ETSU announcers were very complimentary of Furman the whole game.
FU69 liked this
 #56317  by The Jackal
 Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:01 pm
tya1 wrote:
Great defense down the stretch. The announcers kept talking about how much fresher the Paladin D looked and credited the Furman depth. We were running by the ETSU offensive line with ease late. Our offense was a little inconsistent but we made enough plays when we needed them. How fast is Huff? He roared up from behind to help block for the last TD.
Both defenses played their tails off. Our offense had more opportunities, just never really seemed to find a rhythm. Not sure what ETSU was doing against our run game, but we need to figure it out and fix it.

Defense looked great. They had one blown coverage on ETSU's second throw, but otherwise largely limited two explosive players to very little damage.

Last year's team probably loses this game.

Fortunately, we're at a spot where our QB can throw for 218, run for nearly 100, win by two touchdowns, and it feels like an "off night" for him.
FUBeAR, apaladin, dornb liked this
 #56318  by The Jackal
 Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:03 pm
saltyshaker wrote:
Sat Sep 17, 2022 10:49 pm
i'll give this one to the defense.disappointing in our ability to convert on 3rd down and our general inability to run the ball.however our defense got 4 turnovers and held etsu to very few 3rd down conversions.and our 4th qtr pass defense was excellent.all in all a good win in a place where wins are scarce.

Furman's defensive rotation is a real testament to the coaching staff and development.

We are literally three deep at a lot of positions. You could really see the depth difference late in the game. ETSU was gassed and Furman kept rotating fresh players.
FUBeAR, dornb liked this
 #56319  by The Jackal
 Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:07 pm
Closing time.

I was really amused watching Roberto make snow angels in front of two adults dressed like pirates. Jumper gave them a yell, and the pirate just nods at him.

AstroDin, FUBeAR, dornb liked this
 #56320  by gofurman
 Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:13 pm
The Jackal wrote:
tya1 wrote:
Both defenses played their tails off. Our offense had more opportunities, just never really seemed to find a rhythm. Not sure what ETSU was doing against our run game, but we need to figure it out and fix it.

Defense looked great. They had one blown coverage on ETSU's second throw, but otherwise largely limited two explosive players to very little damage.

Fortunately, we're at a spot where our QB can throw for 218, run for nearly 100, win by two touchdowns, and it feels like an "off night" for him.
Good objective point. We couldn’t - until last play - get a dangg yd w a experienced OL and Roberto a big back. Fourth and 1 for us. Get it ? Nope … Another chance late in game we decide not to go for 4 and 1, yes our D was playing great but many times Hendrix goes. I bet some of that was also we aren’t sure we can get a yard
 #56321  by tya1
 Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:15 pm
It may have seemed to be an off night on offense but we still ended up with 409 total yards to ETSU's 352. We rushed for 191 yards. Roberto had 80 on 10 carries. Of course 46 yards were on his last carry. ETSU only ran for 80. Their all SoCon RB averaged less than 3 yards per carry.
Last edited by tya1 on Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #56322  by gofurman
gofurman wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:18 pm
I am skeered we lose this week as we showed our hand with all the play design at Clemson. I would far rather we lose 50-7 Clemson and beat ETSU than play so well (and we were Great!) and lose a close one to ETSU. Please beat ETSU. pleeze. I want some respect for our guys. Get in the top 25 etc. If we lose this one we have to win a lot to get the respect - can still do it but must get to 8-3 ish. Win this one and it's a big deal

GoFurman
Skeered I say !!!
Davemeister liked this
 #56323  by The Jackal
 Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:19 pm
gofurman wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
tya1 wrote:

Good objective point. We couldn’t - until last play - get a dangg yd w a experienced OL and Roberto a big back. Fourth and 1 for us. Get it ? Nope … Another chance late in game we decide not to go for 4 and 1, yes our D was playing great but many times Hendrix goes. I bet some of that was also we aren’t sure we can get a yard
Some of these are football decisions.

ETSU was clearly struggling to move the ball in the fourth quarter. The last thing you do is give them the ball around midfield. You keep kicking them deep.

I'd have preferred the field goal in the first half, but the decision is defensible to go for it.

I'll go back and watch, but ETSU was aggressively trying to stop our run game. That leaves you exposed in the RPO, which we exploited a few times, and a few times missed fired on open slant routes behind the hard-charging linebackers.

Give them credit, though. #11 was everywhere. He's a good player.
 #56324  by gofurman
 Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:21 pm
tya1 wrote:
It may have seemed to be an off night on offense but we still ended up with 409 total yards to ETSU's 352. We rushed for 191 yards. Roberto had 80 on 10 carries. Of course 46 yards were on his last carry. ETSU only ran for80. Their all SoCon RB averaged less than 3 yards per carry.
Oh yeah! Honestly BOTh DL did some great things. They had some guy in on every freakin tackle of Roberto I sweat. Roberto one yd. Roberto one yd. Saylors was shut down after 1q. First q he did get his. Roberto never really did. Yes last play. But both DL did some great work. Ours got SUPER PRESSURE on qb. Amazing with often only 4/ rushing. Shut down Saylors who is legit! They definitely shut down Roberto leaving us w Huff runs or passing. Neither team w much off tackle type success
 #56325  by The Jackal
 Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:23 pm
tya1 wrote:
It may have seemed to be an off night on offense but we still ended up with 409 total yards to ETSU's 352. We rushed for 191 yards. Roberto had 80 on 10 carries. Of course 46 yards were on his last carry. ETSU only ran for 80. Their all SoCon RB averaged less than 3 yards per carry.
Everything about the game suggested Furman was the better team. Encouraging that we could look a bit disconnected on offense, and put up a decent offensive night and score 27.

That said, player of the game may be Jack Rhodes. Falling on that fumble on the punt may have been the biggest play of the contest.
 #56326  by FUPlayer74
 Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:24 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:07 pm
Closing time.

I was really amused watching Roberto make snow angels in front of two adults dressed like pirates. Jumper gave them a yell, and the pirate just nods at him.

Folks, check out your quarterback on this play. Do you think he wants to win??
FUBeAR, Bootie, dornb liked this
 #56327  by gofurman
 Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:25 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:19 pm
gofurman wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
tya1 wrote:

Some of these are football decisions.

ETSU was clearly struggling to move the ball in the fourth quarter. The last thing you do is give them the ball around midfield. You keep kicking them deep.

I'd have preferred the field goal in the first half, but the decision is defensible to go for it.

I'll go back and watch, but ETSU was aggressively trying to stop our run game. That leaves you exposed in the RPO, which we exploited a few times, and a few times missed fired on open slant routes behind the hard-charging linebackers.

Give them credit, though. #11 was everywhere. He's a good player.
Yep. That was my take. That ETSU said no Roberto and no Miller. Make others beat ya. I get it. We did much the same. FU said No Saylors and Huzzie. So they had unknown recvrs step up and we had Huff runs and Harris catches

Sometimes it’s a simple game. Take away best guys and see if others beat you
Last edited by gofurman on Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #56328  by The Jackal
 Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:25 pm
gofurman wrote:
Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:21 pm
tya1 wrote:
It may have seemed to be an off night on offense but we still ended up with 409 total yards to ETSU's 352. We rushed for 191 yards. Roberto had 80 on 10 carries. Of course 46 yards were on his last carry. ETSU only ran for80. Their all SoCon RB averaged less than 3 yards per carry.
Oh yeah! Honestly BOTh DL did some great things. They had some guy in on every freakin tackle of Roberto I sweat. Roberto one yd. Roberto one yd. Saylors was shut down after 1q. First q he did get his. Roberto never really did. Yes last play. But both DL did some great work. Ours got SUPER PRESSURE on qb. Amazing with often only 4/ rushing. Shut down Saylors who is legit! They definitely shut down Roberto leaving us w Huff runs or passing. Neither team w much off tackle type success
At the same time, you can look at that last run as an offense finally wearing down a defense.

Roberto had just about as many yards on that one carry as Saylors had on 19.