• At ETSU

#56163  by gofurman
 Wed Sep 14, 2022 9:09 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 1:23 pm
youwouldno wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:08 pm
Is it clear from ETSU games so far whether Quarles installed the same/similar offense as he called at Furman?
I went back and watched a good bit of their game with the Citadel and my answer is "mostly yes."

The look is mostly a single back offense. Some pistol. A lot of shotgun.

The bell cow is definitely Saylors. It's actually hard to find instances when he comes off the field. Either he's the single back or he's flexed out at receiver.

The obvious comp is Devin Wynn. Quarles uses Saylors like he used Wynn - feature back or split out at receiver.

Unlike his time at Furman, Quarles rarely seems to substitute Saylors. Saylors was credited with 24 of ETSU's 27 rushing attempts. I believe only one other running back even had a carry. He's their guy.

Instead of the second running back frequently in the H-Back role (think Devin Abrams in last year's offense), ETSU looks to use a lot of two TE sets. Their primary TE (40) is more of an H-Back type. The second TE (84) is more of a traditional blocking fullback called a TE.

Unlike at Furman, the TEs aren't featured much in the passing game. Only one TE had a reception Saturday. 84 is mostly a run blocker. 40 runs more routes, but appears to be a guy someone has to cover but they aren't really statistically likely to throw to him.

The two primary receivers both appear to be long speedsters. They can stretch the field and Citadel was giving them a good bit of cushion.

The QB isn't much of a threat to run. In two games he has 7 attempts for -33 yards (mostly sacks, I would assume). His calling card is accuracy, though. Not a huge arm, but he gets the ball out quick and usually on target.

So, yes, based on that one game the ETSU offense appears similar to what he ran at Furman but with modifications to meet the Bucs' personnel.
Thank you for analysis. !! . I hope their offense is as productive this week as ours was vs them last year :D :). Seriously
 #56164  by gofurman
 Wed Sep 14, 2022 9:17 pm
Davemeister wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 10:13 am
gofurman wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:18 pm
I am skeered we lose this week
This makes me feel better about Saturday. When gofurman gets skeered, we almost always win. ;)
Davem gets it. Wear your lucky underwear and stuff!!!!. 7778888
Davemeister liked this
 #56167  by apaladin
 Thu Sep 15, 2022 2:50 am
gofurman wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:18 pm
I am skeered we lose this week as we showed our hand with all the play design at Clemson. I would far rather we lose 50-7 Clemson and beat ETSU than play so well (and we were Great!) and lose a close one to ETSU. Please beat ETSU. pleeze. I want some respect for our guys. Get in the top 25 etc. If we lose this one we have to win a lot to get the respect - can still do it but must get to 8-3 ish. Win this one and it's a big deal

GoFurman
There will be a totally different offensive gameplan vs. etsu.
 #56168  by apaladin
 Thu Sep 15, 2022 2:52 am
The Jackal wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:57 pm
Miller tied a 50+ year old Furman record with 13 receptions in the Clemson game.

In all likelihood, Miller will pass Luther Broughton and Justin Stepp on the career receiving yards chart. With 1 TD he'll move into second all time in career TD receptions.

Achina doesn't appear to be on the depth chart. Cally Chizik listed as backing up Jalen Miller. I think at times last Saturday Wilkins would move into the spur role.
It also tied the record for most catches in a game against Clempson and most ever by a TE.
 #56178  by AstroDin
 Thu Sep 15, 2022 7:43 am
Not sure this is a trend… we will see moving forward, but;

Furman's second-half play against Clemson goes against almost every preconceived viewpoint when an FCS school plays a top 5 FBS school. The second half is when the FBS school wears down the FCS school and has its way.

Clemson did get a stop on 4th down at their 1-yard line. I'll give the Tigers credit for that-I do think JR made a call that was a challenge to Furman to go right at the strength of the Tiger D on that call and see what happens.

I'm curious to see whether we will start seeing the impact of CCH's recruiting and the depth Furman has built on both sides of the ball. Furman had six players rush the ball, and Clemson had five, including two QBs. Furman had eight players catch a pass, and Clemson had ten. Furman's running backs were making better runs late in the game than Clemson's. Note: Hicks averaged 6.6 yards per carry.

Defensively the Dins played outstanding in the second half. My defensive play of the half was the open-field tackle by freshman Justin Hartwell. I believe Hartwell is a PWO from Marist - he's not on the two-deep but a special teams starter.

All this makes me think Furman can put pressure on FCS teams in the second half. We will have fresh backs ready, and JR's offense appears to do a great job utilizing skilled players in the passing game. This will be an interesting matchup to tell us a lot. ETSU is more of a three-headed monster QB-RB-WR; we haven't yet seen any depth step up or be a part of the Buc offense.

Furman's running game is diverse. It starts with Huff. He's proving to be a very effective rusher. Furman has three power backs, Roberto, Abrams, and Hicks; they can run and catch the ball. We haven't seen a lot of KT yet.

Furman had three players catch at least five passes against the Tigers. Miller (13), Anderson (5), and Harris (5). Roberto and Abrams caught 3 passes - all perfectly timed screens.

I'm really excited to see how Furman performs for four quarters against a quality FCS opponent.
hypercycloid, MNORM, apaladin and 1 others liked this
 #56179  by The Jackal
 Thu Sep 15, 2022 8:40 am
I was impressed with a number of things.

Huff's pocket presence. Clemson has a big time pass rush. Our offensive line largely held them out of the backfield. Often when they did get back there Huff would slide out and take off. We definitely didn't script a lot of deep passing plays against that group, but you can see where we have the ability to really take shots downfield against a lesser defense.

The running back rotation has been interesting. Roberto has lost weight, and looks shiftier while still maintaining his physical running style. I was surprised to see several times Furman throwing to him down field. Abrams looks better than last year - quick, big, and with good field vision. It almost seems like they can rotate in without losing anything.

Behind them, Hicks has come in the second half of the first two games and really just pounded the ball. I don't know if that has more to do with getting him carries in games, or whether there's a strategy to brining him off the bench as another set of fresh legs. We also saw Thomas a bit for the first time, and he looks explosive as a runner. As you note, Huff is built like a linebacker and runs like a running back.

The receivers have been particularly impressive to me. With the addition of Gissinger to the roster, Miller can now operate more as a slot-type receiver and less of a traditional TE. Clemson struggled to find and contain Miller all afternoon. He's big, fast, and runs excellent routes. I'm hard pressed to see ETSU trying to play a lot of man coverage on him with linebackers and safeties. No body is probably more aware of his skill set than George Quarles.

Behind him, though, the other quartet of receivers looked solid. Wayne Anderson was open a bunch and made tough catches. Dean, Shifett, and Harris are all big bodies and bring different skills to the table. We haven't seen much of it, yet, but I would all but guarantee we'll see one of those guys try to notch a big downfield pass Saturday. Defenses are going to have to respect our run game and the ability to work Miller underneath. That's going to leave some soft areas deep.

Defensively, I think we'll be fine. We're just going to have to tackle their playmakers.
 #56180  by FUBeAR
 Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:13 am
Clemson did get a stop on 4th down at their 1-yard line. I'll give the Tigers credit for that-I do think JR made a call that was a challenge to Furman to go right at the strength of the Tiger D on that call and see what happens. - AstroDin
Just a guess from Huff’s body language when the RB was stopped, that play had an option for him to pull & run it if the EMOL closed down hard - he did. The body language FUBeAR read said, “Dnag, I shoulda pulled that ball and skeetered right on into the enzyme with it, shouldn’t I have?

He’s very good, hopefully soon-to-be GREAT, but he ain’t, and won’t be perfect.

FUBeAR ain’t mad at him :D
AstroDin liked this
 #56182  by AllTimeFU
 Thu Sep 15, 2022 10:37 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Clemson did get a stop on 4th down at their 1-yard line. I'll give the Tigers credit for that-I do think JR made a call that was a challenge to Furman to go right at the strength of the Tiger D on that call and see what happens. - AstroDin
Just a guess from Huff’s body language when the RB was stopped, that play had an option for him to pull & run it if the EMOL closed down hard - he did. The body language FUBeAR read said, “Dnag, I shoulda pulled that ball and skeetered right on into the enzyme with it, shouldn’t I have?

That's probably a good assessment. The inside receiver was blocking in case Huff had pulled it and ran outside.

The play I would point out was the 2nd and goal with 4:15 to go where a better run fake might have drawn the linebackers in just a little which would have freed up Harris in that crosser route. He would have been open if the underneath traffic from the LBs wasn't there. But hey, healthy, not embarrassed and cashed a check! Let's go win the SoCon now.
 #56183  by The Jackal
 Thu Sep 15, 2022 12:25 pm
Unrelated, but I think Furman has won 3 of their last 4 trips to Johnson City (since ETSU rejoined the conference).

I believe Furman has also won the last two times ETSU has played in gold jerseys against them (spring '21 in JC and 2017 at Furman).

The spring '21 "gold out" game was memorable for this particular interaction:

MNORM liked this
 #56188  by FUBeAR
 Thu Sep 15, 2022 5:27 pm
stonemd wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 3:56 pm
Good discussion of the upcoming game from the ETSU broadcaster.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/s ... 0579601752
They think Huff was PC’s QB last year… :?
 #56189  by youwouldno
 Thu Sep 15, 2022 7:25 pm
It's an important game and any margin of victory would suffice, but I have it FU 34- ETSU 17.
FUBeAR liked this
 #56190  by apaladin
 Thu Sep 15, 2022 8:13 pm
FUBeAR wrote:

I thought the same thing. Looked like if he had kept it and went left he coulda scored.

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by paladinfan41

Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:02 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

User avatar TV

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:39 pm

Default Avatar Furman upsets Virginia (Greatest Game Of All Time)

by FurmanFan23

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:22 pm

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:22 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.