• At ETSU

#56125  by youwouldno
 Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:08 pm
Is it clear from ETSU games so far whether Quarles installed the same/similar offense as he called at Furman?
 #56127  by The Jackal
 Tue Sep 13, 2022 1:23 pm
youwouldno wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:08 pm
Is it clear from ETSU games so far whether Quarles installed the same/similar offense as he called at Furman?
I went back and watched a good bit of their game with the Citadel and my answer is "mostly yes."

The look is mostly a single back offense. Some pistol. A lot of shotgun.

The bell cow is definitely Saylors. It's actually hard to find instances when he comes off the field. Either he's the single back or he's flexed out at receiver.

The obvious comp is Devin Wynn. Quarles uses Saylors like he used Wynn - feature back or split out at receiver.

Unlike his time at Furman, Quarles rarely seems to substitute Saylors. Saylors was credited with 24 of ETSU's 27 rushing attempts. I believe only one other running back even had a carry. He's their guy.

Instead of the second running back frequently in the H-Back role (think Devin Abrams in last year's offense), ETSU looks to use a lot of two TE sets. Their primary TE (40) is more of an H-Back type. The second TE (84) is more of a traditional blocking fullback called a TE.

Unlike at Furman, the TEs aren't featured much in the passing game. Only one TE had a reception Saturday. 84 is mostly a run blocker. 40 runs more routes, but appears to be a guy someone has to cover but they aren't really statistically likely to throw to him.

The two primary receivers both appear to be long speedsters. They can stretch the field and Citadel was giving them a good bit of cushion.

The QB isn't much of a threat to run. In two games he has 7 attempts for -33 yards (mostly sacks, I would assume). His calling card is accuracy, though. Not a huge arm, but he gets the ball out quick and usually on target.

So, yes, based on that one game the ETSU offense appears similar to what he ran at Furman but with modifications to meet the Bucs' personnel.
 #56131  by The Jackal
 Tue Sep 13, 2022 3:35 pm
I had overlooked this.

It's easy to watch this and see the escapability of Huff. I had overlooked the offensive line.

Watch them work together on this play. Tomlin basically tosses #14 out of the play. #7 on the left side gets nowhere with Toomey. The two interior men don't come anywhere near the QB.

Watch Johanning specifically. Clemson stunts their two inside guys, leaving Johanning matched up 1v1 against Bryan Bresee, considered one of the nation's best interior linemen and potential top 10 draft pick. Johanning picks him up, gains position, and blocks him out of the play. I'm not sure Bresee loses a lot of 1v1 matchups in a pass rush situation.

Bootie liked this
 #56140  by gofurman
 Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:18 pm
I am skeered we lose this week as we showed our hand with all the play design at Clemson. I would far rather we lose 50-7 Clemson and beat ETSU than play so well (and we were Great!) and lose a close one to ETSU. Please beat ETSU. pleeze. I want some respect for our guys. Get in the top 25 etc. If we lose this one we have to win a lot to get the respect - can still do it but must get to 8-3 ish. Win this one and it's a big deal

GoFurman
FU69 liked this
 #56142  by AstroDin
 Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:47 pm
GoFurman - I don't think JR cares a damn about that.
He commented that we're going to run our plays at Clemson to win the game.
Not to play it safe.

I'm sure we will see some new wrinkles this weekend to the offense, and the BUCS have to stop the DIN offense.
 #56143  by gofurman
 Tue Sep 13, 2022 11:20 pm
AstroDin wrote:
Not to play it safe.

I'm sure we will see some new wrinkles this weekend to the offense, and the BUCS have to stop the DIN offense.
yep. Two guys that are legit threats to us are Saylors and Huzzie. We constantly give up receptions to Huzzie. He caught 5 for about 50+ yards on us last year. That's a lot in a game that finished 17-13. Basically 300 yards of offense each team. Have to slow Huzzie down. (sophomore all-america) . Saylors is third-team all-america.

Thankfully they lost the all-everything TE to USC transfer and Quay Holmes at RB. But they are a very good team

Saylors averaged almost 8 yards per rush vs Citadel. thats sick

The good thing is you know who to cover - those two guys. Saylors had all the rushing yds for ETSU last week - basically all but one. crazy

Huzzie and Saylors combined for the 100 of the 170 yards receiving. Kind of like us - we threw 15? times to Miller at Clemson, the question is can you stop it. I just really want to beat ETSU and hit top 25 !!
 #56144  by Paul C
 Tue Sep 13, 2022 11:21 pm
gofurman wrote:
I am skeered we lose this week as we showed our hand with all the play design at Clemson. I would far rather we lose 50-7 Clemson and beat ETSU than play so well (and we were Great!) and lose a close one to ETSU. Please beat ETSU. pleeze. I want some respect for our guys. Get in the top 25 etc. If we lose this one we have to win a lot to get the respect - can still do it but must get to 8-3 ish. Win this one and it's a big deal

GoFurman
You’re overthinking it
FUBeAR, gman84 liked this
 #56146  by The Jackal
 Wed Sep 14, 2022 6:42 am
gofurman wrote:
AstroDin wrote:
Not to play it safe.

yep. Two guys that are legit threats to us are Saylors and Huzzie. We constantly give up receptions to Huzzie. He caught 5 for about 50+ yards on us last year. That's a lot in a game that finished 17-13. Basically 300 yards of offense each team. Have to slow Huzzie down. (sophomore all-america) . Saylors is third-team all-america.

Thankfully they lost the all-everything TE to USC transfer and Quay Holmes at RB. But they are a very good team

The good thing is you know who to cover - those two guys. Saylors had all the rushing yds for ETSU last week - basically all but one. crazy

Huzzie and Saylors combined for the 100 of the 170 yards receiving. Kind of like us - we threw 15? times to Miller at Clemson, the question is can you stop it. I just really want to beat ETSU and hit top 25 !!
Huzzie and Saylors are going to get yards. The ETSU offense is designed to get them both the ball. They are good players. We're going to have to keep them in front of us and tackle.

If you watch their game against the Citadel, ETSU struggled to move the ball in the red zone. It wouldn't shock me to see Furman try to force ETSU to methodically move the ball and then clamp down in the red zone. That's a scheme that worked for the Citadel.
 #56147  by FUBeAR
 Wed Sep 14, 2022 7:29 am
The Jackal wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 6:42 am
gofurman wrote:
AstroDin wrote:
Not to play it safe.

Huzzie and Saylors are going to get yards. The ETSU offense is designed to get them both the ball. They are good players. We're going to have to keep them in front of us and tackle.

If you watch their game against the Citadel, ETSU struggled to move the ball in the red zone. It wouldn't shock me to see Furman try to force ETSU to methodically move the ball and then clamp down in the red zone. That's a scheme that worked for the Citadel.
It’s a darn good things those guys are going to get those yards.

What else would we have to complain/worry about after FU heads west from the Cumberland Gap to Johnson City, Tennessee and beats the Bucs by 3+ scores?

#56149  by The Jackal
 Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:05 am
I'm just waiting for Huzzie's first catch when this board melts down over "soft zone coverage" and our "pass defense."
 #56154  by Davemeister
 Wed Sep 14, 2022 10:13 am
gofurman wrote:
I am skeered we lose this week
This makes me feel better about Saturday. When gofurman gets skeered, we almost always win. ;)
 #56162  by The Jackal
 Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:57 pm
Miller tied a 50+ year old Furman record with 13 receptions in the Clemson game.

In all likelihood, Miller will pass Luther Broughton and Justin Stepp on the career receiving yards chart. With 1 TD he'll move into second all time in career TD receptions.

Achina doesn't appear to be on the depth chart. Cally Chizik listed as backing up Jalen Miller. I think at times last Saturday Wilkins would move into the spur role.

Recent Topics

User avatar Missing Players

by AllTimeFU

Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:32 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

User avatar TV

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:39 pm

Default Avatar Furman upsets Virginia (Greatest Game Of All Time)

by FurmanFan23

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:22 pm

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:22 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.